Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my boss has a uncle-in-law who has a 1994 Chevy 1500 W/T for sale. 4.3L V6, auto, regular cab long bed, 2WD 115,000 miles stripped but has working A/C and mechanically in great shape. He's a carpender and buys a new work truck every 15 years. He wants $2,000 which is $800 under Kelley Blue Book.

Now, I have a '99 Dodge Avenger ES and I hate it. I bought it to go back and forth from my place to my ex-girlfriend's three hours away, so obviously I don't need it any more. It has a 2.5L V6 and the milage is NOT what you'd expect (24 hwy, blah). It has 90,500 miles and is fully loaded but most of the electrical things are starting to go to crap and there are a few other things it needs. It runs well but it is kind of giving me the impression it will blow up soon.... Kelley says I can get just under $5000 for it....

So, how smart or dumb would I be? Older truck, higher miles. But its a TRUCK and that's what I want! It's stripped but that's what I want! No frills! My other truck is a '65 Chevy C-10 and I love it because any work it needs is easy to do. So... how stupid would I be to do this?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
115K isn't a lot of miles these days. You don't like the car, and can get some $$ for it before it turns to junk... The truck's a little old, but they are a lot easier to work on. Sounds like a deal you would like... If it feels good, for for it.

bd

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Well, bear with me, dollar wise the W/T really isn't worth $2K------and that is not disparaging towards it.

Now, returning $2K of value to you, if it's been mechanically maintained it can easily do that and then some.

I'd look it over very well, figure out what $$ outlay it will need in the immediate future (tires/battery/fuel pump etc etc) and if that exceeds 10% of the cost, wait for another/better deal.

The 94 is a TBI, OBD I computer operated vehicle. EGR passages, Coolant temp sensors, Throttle body gaskets, intake gaskets, ignition modules and a fuel pump-----just a few of the minor issues it has, or will have in the future. It has a 4L60E trans, E for electronic, hopefully it has been maintained. At any rate, if not, DO NOT do a trans flush on it, just a pan fluid and filter change if it's due.

I'd make sure it loses no coolant, and sets no codes first. Change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Are you going to use it as your primary mode of transportation?
If so, I'd vote no. I have a conventional cab 97 GMC long-bed that I love, but only as a second vehicle. You put someone else in the cab with you and you have almost no room to put a couple bags of groceries, much less a couple of guns and ammo.

Security is non-existent for valuables you can't get behind the fold down seat. Forget about carrying anything of value in the bed because of weather/theft concerns. At the very least, you'll need a good quality locking cargo box to attach to the bed for storage and hauling concealed items.

And last but not least, consider gas mileage. Even with that V-6, your truck will get much poorer mileage than your car and at $3.00 plus per gallon and rising, that is a consideration.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Those are good points, Jack. Pickups have their uses, but also limitations. A couple of years ago I bought a low mileage Aerostar on ebay. Paid way over book for it, but couldn't be happier. Took the middle seat out and now it has cavernous covered cargo space, but still carries five people with ease. It's a 3 litre and gets 22 mpg at 75 mph on the freeway. By low mileage, I mean 25k actual miles. Probably the last car I will ever have to buy, unless I wreck it.

If a pickup ends up the choice here, bed security and weather protection can be improved considerably with a hard, lockable tonneao cover, but these can get a bit pricey. Why not get covered carry to start with?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, well I spoke with my father AKA "the wise one" and he said if it was him, he'd put the $2,000 into my car, fix it up, then sell it. That will give me $5,000 for a down payment on a newer vehicle. So thanks to you all for your help!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see. Hopefully I will get a newer pickup that I can run until the wheels fall off.... my luck with automobiles has not been great.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I could, Banshee, I'd drive my '65 every day. But its just a little too nice to be a daily driver. No, nothing against old trucks here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts