1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
12g winchester AA super sport

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
The AA's are a good choice, I also use Remington Premier Nitro, and Federal Gold Medal. These are higher end shells that run atleast $5/box and up, but you get to reuse the hulls. Generally the loads are 1-1.8 ounce, 2-3.4 dram, running 1200-1300fps, and in 7.5 or 8 shot. Any of the shells in those specs should work well.There are some decent promo shells, especially the Remington(which the hulls reload the same as the Premier) and Winchester that WalMart sells 4-boxes to a pack for about $15...they also have the Federals, but I have not had good luck with those. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i use the 100 shell bulk packs as well, never had a prob with them from the winchester and remington, but the federals occasionally had a few misfires and i find they generally clog up the barrel more than the others, but you can't beat the winchesters packs for 20 bucks!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The Winchester AA shells are also reloadable, but since I like to use the high velocity shells, I don't reload.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
This is a brand of shotshells. Clever MirageI copied the stuff off the site, it is FULL of popups and asks if you want to download some Korean text stuff!!!!Clever Mirage is a company founded in 1960 by four friends who, out of enthusiasm, decided to start loading their own ammunition, to be used for hunting. Finding that the results were technically successful, they eventually decided to market the shotshells. In the first year of the new operation they produced and sold 12,000,000 shotshells, and for some years the production rose until they managed to acquire a large portion of the Italian market, producing in 1978 around 42,000,000 pieces per year. With the arrival of a new generation of managers, after a short consolidation period, the company began to concentrate on the export market, becoming a well known brand everywhere , thanks also to the high emphasis on the quality factor. Today we have 100 direct importers, distributing Clever Mirage all over the world from New Zealand to Canada, and reaching in 1995 the production figure of 100,000,000 pieces, which continued and even increased to the level of 150,000,000 pieces now produced. We use nothing but the best raw materials and components to load our shotshells, and the company heavily invested in state of the art loading and testing equipment to ensure, thru the continuos training and experience gained by our production personnel, the best quality achievable today in the shotshell field, canvassing to the discriminating frater-nity of hunters and shooters.It is with all honesty that we can proudly say that our products have won all that is humanly possible to win in the world. We feel very satisfied, but above all, so do the regular users and admirers to whom we feel particularly close. We support them continually woth technical consultation, thru research and development of new products, and trying to be as much as possible on top of market requirements. All of this without forgetting the environmental side which has become more and more important for the survival of our sports.Our aim continues, however, to be that of distributing selected products in high quantities but also at a competitive price making it possible to ensure the best satisfaction to our dedicated clients taking part in the oldest sport of the world. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i seen the reference to Canada, but i've never seen or heard of them before, not even custom shops and gunsmiths carry them, they may be limited to shipping only in a few provinces in canada, i'll have to find myself a box

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over the past few clay sessions, my friend and I tried several 12g. brands and loads. He uses a Remington 870, and I use a Beretta 390. On eight occasions in the Rem. 870, the Winchester AAs, in both 7.5 or 8 (5 jams with 7.5, 3 jams with 8), failed to eject properly, causing a pretty good jam. They didn't cause a problem in the Beretta, but performed about average with the others we tried. After comparing the shells we were using (Remington, PMC, and Winchester) we noticed that the rim on the AAs seem to be crimped tighter than the other, or was just plain thinner. I'm guessing that either the shell didn't seat properly in the gun, or the rim gave the extractor problems. Has anyone else had an experience like this, either in general or specific to 870's? We have tried several different shot sizes, powder weights, etc. with each of the brands, but only the AAs in any shot/powder combo. cause this. Ideas?---Also, I personally like the PMC clay loads in 7.5. For some reason, it just seems to be the most consistent, easy to shoot, and cheap. Edited by: RU486 Audie Murphy at: 10/1/02 7:58:12 am

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have never had any problem cycling AAs. Some guns just don't like some shells it seems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For shooting trap, accept no substitute. The Bass Pro near my house sells the AA or STS shells for $5/box and once in awhile you'll find them in sale for $4.50/box. You can reload them a bunch of times and in all my trap shooting, I've NEVER had an STS misfire. Did happen once to an AA. I wouldn't waste my time with any other shells. :| :hat

G

·
I am from Australia and I have tried all different types of Ammo.

Currently I will only shoot Clever Mirage as I find them to be a fantastic load. They are of high quality and very light on the shoulder, and the best part is they are alot cheaper then alot of other brands.

There 28 gram "Grand Italia" load would have to be without doubt the best 28 gram load going around currently.

The T2 Sporting Clays load in 32 grams is an ideal to break Sporting Clays at long ranges without getting a knock in the jaw.

Try them you wont be dissapointed

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The factory new-style AAs won't reliably eject from my 11-87 trap gun. I've reloaded a few of these hulls, and my reloads do eject reliably.

I haven't tried a lot of different brands of shotshells in this 11-87, but the STS, Nitro 27, Federal, and Mirage factory fodder ejects without a hitch.

I am at a loss as to why the AAs cause ejection problems in my 11-87. The peak pressure of the AA ammo on the average is a little higher than a corresponding STS factory load. My hypothesis is that the AAs use a slightly faster burning propellant that doesn't provide enough pressure and/or gas volume at the bleed port. That, however, is nothing but an initial, unverified hypothesis.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.