Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i jus got a new Winchester MOdel 94 Ranger .357 Magnum and i was wondering if it will take all .357 Magnum bullets.....this may be a stupid question but i dont have any experience with hand gun ammo or winchester rifles...

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I thought that the Ranger was only chambered in .30-30...Sure it is not a Trapper or other variant?

Modern rifles chambered for .357 Magnum will chamber and fire safely all current Factory .38 Special and .357 Magnum cartridges...

The ammo manufacturers keep them slightly below SAAMI max's because they do not know what the condition of the gun or type of gun (pistol/rifle) they will be used in...

I have a Marlin lever in .44 mag that I load max for the rifle, but when the same cartridges are fired in my pistol, the rounds are nearly a grain of powder under 'max'...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Only ammo you might want to avoid in it are wadcutters. Friend of mine tried 38 spl. wadcutters in his and it jammed up big time. Had to take the mag tube apart to clear it.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Hmm...I have never had any trouble with hard cast bullets in my .44 lever, but I do not know about WC or Semi-WC's in a .357 lever...

I do have a friend that shoots a Marlin lever with Ultramax remanufactured .357 with SWC bullets all day long...

It may be a matter of the different designs and the loading ramp angle...I just don't know...

You can always just try each new ammo type slowly and see if they bind before going all out with your speed levering...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.