Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I have been shooting skeet for a few weeks and I hit about 50% .My question is do the loads that you use effect how many targets you hit. I shoot Winchester universal 8 shot.
My gun is a Winchester SX 2 12 gauge.
Any advise would be apprecaited.
Thanx
Teal :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I find the velocities of the Winchester promo ammo can vary from shell to shell. This doesn't hurt a trap shooter as much as ot does a skeet or sporting clays shooter where fast crossing shotsa are the norm. A big way to improve scores is to find consistent velocity ammo so your leads will be consistent as well. Winchester's AAs are good, but I recently switched to Remington STS loads. I like their handicap loads better, but otherwise the normal target loads are pretty much identical from both companies. Eight is a good size shot for a 12 gauge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would have to agree with Pumper... I really dislike the "promo" loads. I shoot with my father in-law a lot but he is just a casual shooter used to buy only the promo loads. I tried in vain to show him how they were costing him targets, showed him the difference in the wads... we patterened with promo loads and then good AA's or STS ( sts is also my choice these days) all to no end.. then one day we were in Nevada shooting at a two Teal targets that sat out there at about 50 yards and climbed away from you. We both had Light Mod chokes in.. both shooting 7.5s at em.. I broke them constantly and he couldnt seem to hit anything but I could hear the led plinking the target... Finally I handed him two Remington STS 7.5s from my pouch and whap whap broke the pair.. he has been sold ever since... so after rambling on here my point is the same as Pumpers... If you are using promo loads you are prob losing 3 or 4 targets a round due to the shell.. at least from my experience

G

·
Thanks for the expertise,
I was looking at the AA loads, Iwill try those and see how they do. I love this sport, anything to make me better I,ll try,

thanks, Teal :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Teal,

First of all Congratulations on getting to 50% within a few weeks of starting to shoot, that is great going. :D

I agree with all that has been said about promo loads, but I have to say, changing the shell you are using will not give you the other 50% on the skeet layout.

Here are some other things to consider to improve your score. Have you had your gun fitted to you ? Where the gun shoots is a function of fit, and mount, and getting these checked may help a lot.

Have you had your eye dominance checked - if you are cross dominant and you are this early in your shooting carreer changing to shoot off your dominant shoulder would be the best thing to do.

Have you had someone coach you ? Either a professional coach or someone who knows what they are doing can help you get the targets you are missing. Which stands cause you grief?

In choosing a coach, there are many factors to consider, if you will only shoot skeet, get a skeet coach, but if you will move onto to other games, like sporting clays, find someone who can coach you in the future.

Good luck

Roger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advise Roger,

A coach would be nice, the place where I work started a shooting leauge, about 10 joined, we are all pretty green.
my gun fits great and my eye contact is o.k. , I can hit 4 to 6 in a row and miss 4 to 6 in a row, I try to use the same principal every shot, It is hard to tell if I,m too far ahead or behind, we only meet one day a week sometimes two, I guess practice makes perfect. But if I had my way I would be there everyday.

Thanks Teal. :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
OhOh folks we got another one hooked on this game :lol: - would shoot every day !

Teal,

All joking aside, you are doing very well - keep it up.

If you shoot and miss, take the same shot again and increase the lead you saw by 50%. If you miss again, add another 50%, it is MOST usual for new shooters to underestimate the lead required, this way you will say, "wow I would never have thought I could be that far in front and break it"

Good luck,

Roger

·
Registered
31 Posts
One thing is that the ammunition manufacture has about 10%-15% to do with your shooting. It is all about consistancy and placement. Choose a shell that is economic, reliable, redaly available, and that has a tolerable recoil for you. Once you chose a shell only use that shell. Using diferent ammo alters your lead length and recoil tolerance. which usualy spells failure in tournaments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello All,
I was just thinking about the loads I,ve bought at the club,and the promo loads from the sporting good dept. The promo loads seem to dirty up my gun more, Is the powder different? Or is it my imagination. :?

Thanks teal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got my answer from a topic in shotgun FAQ'S. Interesting. :D

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
The Universals you are using would be just fine at skeet ranges. The quality of shot is not a great concern until ranges start to pass 30 yards or so in 12 ga. By far the quickest and most cost effective way to get better is to recieve some instruction from a quality instrutor. I would keep on using inexpensive shells as your experience and ability is a greater limiting factor than equipment. This is what mk306 told you and is quite correct. As for the dirty shells, the cheaper shells generally do leave a little more residue than the premium shells. This has no effect on the effectiveness of the shells. The additives to the powder and the process of making cleaner burns are rather expensive and are left out or reduced in promo loads to cut costs. The cleanliness of promos can vary from lot to lot as the least expensive powder is used and this may vary in manufacturer. Clean burning powder is liked by all users due to no/little soot to get on hands, clothes, gun, etc, and by auto users for fewer problems due to dirty gun.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Since I worked for the gun and ammo companies most of my life, I can assue you that the major problem in cheap ammo is the shot. Antimony, tin, and other elements used to harden shot is expensive, thus increases to cost of manufacture. Shot is the single highest cost raw material in shotshells. Many times a poor run of soft shot will also show up. You can bet it is set aside for the promos. Most of today's target shells are loaded with rather fast burn powder....more shot deformation. Most of the wads used in promo loads are run with a high percent of "regrind" plastic.....another cost factor. Combine these factors with some hard targets and you have real problems.
So....the old saying, "You get what you pay for!'....holds true. I do know that WW's trap shells have some of the highest quality shot offered, except some target shells from oveseas where antimony is cheaper.
Best Regards, James

G

·
Uglydog has some good points in his post rearding distance. My experience shooting tons of targets causes me to agree that at typical skeet distances you can get by with just about anything as far as loads are concerned. Yes, I know that dedicated skeet addicts would argue this, but if you were to study retained energy charts and do extensive patterning of your gun I think you would agree that the difference between shells is the least of the problems with consistently breaking targets at no more than 25 yards. Just at the time I was getting off the registered trap circuit WalMart started carrying the 4 pack promo loads from both Winchester and Federal. Remington soon thereafter introduced their version-the Gun Club loads. I witnessed many, many 100 straights run from the 16 yd line with these shells. Folks, those targets were all shot at ranges from 30 yards (very quick shooters) to 35 yards (typical shooters).
They were also hit on the top-the hardest part of the target.
Honestly, I could tell little difference in the quality of those breaks vs the premium load (AA, STS) breaks. Handicap shooters never used these promo loads, though, as everyone knew they patterned poorly at the longer distances. Lex adds validity to this response with his post about his industry experience with soft shot. That said, I will add that clays shooting gets to be more of a mind game the more experienced we become, and if it takes a premium load to get you "in the zone", then you better be using it.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Teal, two of the problems with new shooters is focus and gun mount.

If you dont mount the gun the same way every time you are not shooting the same spot everytime. This is easy to do by simply mounting the gun(unloaded) in front of a mirror. You need to seat the gun in your shoulder and then bring your cheek to the gun, you should be able to look down the beads/rib and see where your eye is over them. With skeet the single bead even with rib or with 2 beads them lined up is what you are after. You do this in reps like any other excercise to develop muscle memory and then to disassociate yourself from looking at the beads, the gun will "feel" right.

A common problem is to look at the beads or barrel while shooting, you will generally miss as you have taken your eyes off the bird causing the barrel to falter in the track of the target, which brings us to focus. Pick the leading edge of the bird and do not take your eyes off the target. Your hands and eyes can do it, you just have to disengage thinking about how to do it. Second, look at how some of the other good shooters stand and address the targets, their stance on the pad and where they hold the gun is important, this is the hold point.

This is from Joel Etchens site: http://www.joeletchenguns.com/skeet.htm

GRITS: On the skeet field, do you position yourself for the spot where you intend to break the target and then coil back toward the house?

RUDY: Always! There's a simple rule. If you're right handed, point your left toe at the spot where you're going to break the bird and you automatically have the right stance. That's true for trap, too, but keep in mind that you position yourself perfectly for the hardest target from that particular post.

GRITS: How far back toward the house do you coil on the skeet positions?

RUDY: Depends on the post, of course. On No. 2 high house, for instance, I've always felt many people crowd that house too much. I prefer to come back perhaps halfway, let the target go past my gun, then overtake it with a fast, smooth swing.

GRITS: Do you focus your eyes nearer to the house than your gun is pointing when you call for the target?

RUDY: Well, some people can remove their eyes from the sighting plane of the gun to pick up the target earlier, then re-coordinate - if that's a word - their eye with the gun barrel. Others can't. For them just look right over the barrel, let the bird come out and pass your gun, then go after the bird, swing past and pull the trigger. That's a personal thing. Some people have a faster swing than others. Some people have that trigger timing, that fine hair of being able to coordinate their eye and gun barrel. Two eyed people - those who shoot with both eyes open - have less trouble than those who close one eye. Coordination and timing is better.

What he means by "How far back toward the house do you coil on the skeet positions?" is that you setup on the pad facing the spot you want to break the target, then you twist your body to face where the target will emerge, in a sense coiling your body to unwind as you tract the target back to the neutral body position and the spot that you choose to break the target.

The best thing is to shoot some practice targets, not as a round but a single stations presentation especially if you have a problem station.

Good luck,
Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello,

Everyone,s advise was well taken,we met today and shot 3 rounds of five stand I hit 18 and 14 using Rem STS, and 18 using the last box of win universal, Iput everything into play and it worked really well for me, I shot about 25 percent better than last week,that is pretty good for me, starting only four weeks ago at this s, well I was going to say sport, addiction is a better word, and I'm only going to get better.
thanks for all the great advise.

teal. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts