Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is an old subject and I have read the old threads without getting the answers. I acquired a very nice Angelo Zoli O/U with Purbaugh tubes. It is a great shooter, well balanced and has improved my shooting. This one has multi-gauge stamped on the case and has three sets of tubes 20Ga, 28Ga, and 410Ga. It is marked Monte Carlo under the foregrip.
Bag Wood Plastic bag Linens Plastic wrap
Rectangle Textile Wood Red Magenta

Brown Outerwear Textile Sleeve Beige

Wood Glass Sword Metal Cylinder

Material property Office supplies Bicycle part Font Cylinder
Material property Cylinder Metal Magenta Gun accessory

Brown Rectangle Wood Font Tints and shades

According to another thread, it might be a continuation of the Weatherby Regency after Weatherby discontinued working with Zoli. I am curious about the age, worth, and any information about this gun. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have attached multiple pics. Does anyone know how the Purbaugh service worked? Did you buy a gun off the rack and send it to Purbaugh to have it fitted for the tubes? Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I bought a set of Purbaugh's back in 1975 for a Remington 3200. I was stationed in Italy and bought the gun there through the American Rod and Gun Clubs. I shipped the gun to Purbaugh and he made the tubes and then shipped to gun to my home in the states. A friend also shipped his gun to Purbaugh and got a free set of tubes. According to him, Purbaugh would give a free set for every 30 sets made. I don't know if that was for the military only or military and civilian buys.
As far as I know, Purbaugh only made tubes and did not sell guns.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes, you would buy the 12 ga shotgun, O/U, and send to Purbaugh to have skeet tubes made. The tubes back in early 1970's cost about $300 for the full set. I don't know what your 12ga is worth, but the Purbaugh tubs aren't worth much, maybe $300 added to the total value. Don't lose the extractors for the tubes, can't be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you would buy the 12 ga shotgun, O/U, and send to Purbaugh to have skeet tubes made. The tubes back in early 1970's cost about $300 for the full set. I don't know what your 12ga is worth, but the Purbaugh tubs aren't worth much, maybe $300 added to the total value. Don't lose the extractors for the tubes, can't be replaced.
Thanks for the reply, this brings up another question. Were the 12Ga barrels modified to accept the tubes? Meaning, if the tubes were removed altogether would the gun function as original? If you notice the extractor picture, one set is unnumbered would those be the original 12Ga extractors?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
The barrels were not modified. The tubes were made to fit that particular gun and the serial number of the gun is etched on the tubes. The unnumbered extractors are from the original gun and the numbered ones are made to work with those tubes. The tubes could be made to extend slightly in front of the barrels or flush with the front of the barrels. The Purbugh's were a fine set of tubes but other companies improved on the concept.
These comments are for the 3200 and other guns may vary. The Purbaughs would fit tightly in the barrels had to be very clean for the tubes to fit. The extractor's would fall out of the gun sometimes if you opened the gun and the chamber end was down as if you put the gun in a rack with it open. Quite a few extractors were lost that way. Also, the chamber ends of the 20 ga. would sometimes break when you hammered the tubes in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The barrels were not modified. The tubes were made to fit that particular gun and the serial number of the gun is etched on the tubes. The unnumbered extractors are from the original gun and the numbered ones are made to work with those tubes. The tubes could be made to extend slightly in front of the barrels or flush with the front of the barrels. The Purbugh's were a fine set of tubes but other companies improved on the concept.
These comments are for the 3200 and other guns may vary. The Purbaughs would fit tightly in the barrels had to be very clean for the tubes to fit. The extractor's would fall out of the gun sometimes if you opened the gun and the chamber end was down as if you put the gun in a rack with it open. Quite a few extractors were lost that way. Also, the chamber ends of the 20 ga. would sometimes break when you hammered the tubes in place.
Thanks for the reply. The gun came to me with the 20Ga tubes installed, they do extend about 1/4 inch beyond the barrel. I have the instructions from Purbaugh on how to change the tubes. I have read exactly what you said that things can break during that process.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There was a outfit making the Purbaugh style tubes after he retired. I think they may have been called Skeetmaster but I could be wrong on the name. Whoever they were I had a set of 20 gauge tubes made by them way back when.Have since sold that gun but they worked. Briley is a much improved design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts