Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to pass the word......

I have found out at another forum and verified at the Bill Hanus website (page 2), that Browining will be making another run of 16 gauge Citoris. In addition, some of the new 16 ga. offerings will be in the Model 525 Sporting Clays. The barrel lengths for these new 16 gauges will be 28, 30, or 32 inches and with ported barrels.

The guns will not be available until the 4th quarter of 2006.

South Central PA.

·
Registered
212 Posts
TexasTon said:
I have to ask, Why?
Given that this is the second such "limited" production run of these guns, there seems to be a good bit of demand for good upland hunting guns in 16 gauge on appropriately scaled frames. Now if Beretta would only make some...

Who wouldn't want a gun that carries like a 20 and hits like a 12?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I knew this was going to happen. I tried like crazy to get a 16 gauge on Gunbroker...kept getting outbid. Couldnt afford the full price at Hanus's website or others that had 1 or 2 to sell, so I ended up getting my Cynergy...now they're back..and I'm broke!

Still have my Sweet Sixteen to fall back on, but sure would love a nice 16 gauge O/U..

Bob

·
Registered
493 Posts
bridgeburner said:
What's with you Pa guys and 16ga guns?
How much lighter could the 16ga frame be vs 12ga?. When I buy shells at box stores there is one or two field options, o trap options, no nontox options, No 3" shell casing available for this *****. 20 ga payload in 3" is equal to or more than 16ga field load. Heaven forbid I run out of shells while hunting, when I walk into the store I am going to find 12 and 20's on the shelf. I may have to go store to store searching for 16's. Benefit for having a 16er......only 2 reasons I can come up with. Some writer or manufacturer advertised "Sweet 16ga" and that stuck. Sweet, really not sold on that nor do I understand the philosophy behind the gimic pet name given except to sell it to the gullible public. Other reason,
If there is a ***** available someone has to have it. Possibly a third reason: Hey joe, is that a knew 12 or 20 you have there. Neither its the sweet 16. Why is it sweet? dunnothats what I was told so I bought it. I saw a pristeen 16ga wingmaster for $350.00 found out it wasn't a 12 or a 20, put it right back without hesitation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its was just to pass on the information.

Anyway, regarding Pennsylvanians (which realy isn't the point), other than maybe Texas, there are probably more gun owners, and definitely more hunters here than anywhere else in the States. That is nothing to argue about as it is simply a matter of statistic. Not everyone in PA. is a fan of the 16 (as is the case anywhere else). But there are a lot of good ole boys here that take their hunting real serious, so you should watch what ya say. That isn't a threat Bridgeburner just some friendly advice if you are ever in these parts.

I was simply pointing out some information for those all over the country that appreciate the 16. Really not looking to argue.

And by the way there is simply no way that a 20 ga is the ballistic equiv. of a 16. And this is for the following reasons:

*A 16 can handle any load from a 7/8 all the way up to a 1 1/4 oz. load. Now even though a 20 ga. 3 in. can be loaded to 1 1/4 oz. it is simply a fact that there is more pellet deformation due to the longer shot string. A longer shot column, by its very nature will have more pellets being deformed due to "barrel scrub". These deformed pellets will not fly true. The result is less pellets on-target. This is simply a fact. A 16 ga. (2 3/4 in.)loaded to 1 1/4 oz. will pattern better than any 20 ga . 3 in shell.

*Also, if you have ever had the chance to read any of Bob Brister's books, his research definitely pointed to the inherent inferiority of the longer shot strings on moving targets.

*A 16 gauge with a proper 16 gauge frame (Citoris, Rizzini, or Merkel) or better yet, on a 20 gauge frame (Winchester Model 12) does in fact, "carries like a 20 and shoots like a 12". One must keep in mind that a shotgun like a 16 ga. 1100 or 870 is built on a 12 ga. frame and aren't like the aforementioned.

Not interested in arguing the point any further. Just wanted to pass on info. to those out there who know the joy of handling a properly framed 16 in the field. For those who don't it may be worth looking into................

·
Registered
122 Posts
How much lighter are the frames?

12ga Citori White Lightning w/ 28" barrels= 8 lbs 3 oz

16ga Citori White Lightning w/ 28" barrels= 6 lbs 12 oz

That makes a difference in arm fatigue after several miles of tromping through CRP grass. This morning four Kansas roosters bit the dust thanks to my 16ga Citori and Fiocchi #5's.

·
Registered
493 Posts
[And by the way there is simply no way that a 20 ga is the ballistic equiv. of a 16. And this is for the following reasons:

*A 16 can handle any load from a 7/8 all the way up to a 1 1/4 oz. load. Now even though a 20 ga. 3 in. can be loaded to 1 1/4 oz. it is simply a fact that there is more pellet deformation due to the longer shot string. A longer shot column, by its very nature will have more pellets being deformed due to "barrel scrub". These deformed pellets will not fly true. The result is less pellets on-target. This is simply a fact. A 16 ga. (2 3/4 in.)loaded to 1 1/4 oz. will pattern better than any 20 ga . 3 in shell.

*Also, if you have ever had the chance to read any of Bob Brister's books, his research definitely pointed to the inherent inferiority of the longer shot strings on moving targets.

*A 16 gauge with a proper 16 gauge frame (Citoris, Rizzini, or Merkel) or better yet, on a 20 gauge frame (Winchester Model 12) does in fact, "carries like a 20 and shoots like a 12". One must keep in mind that a shotgun like a 16 ga. 1100 or 870 is built on a 12 ga. frame and aren't like the aforementioned.

Not interested in arguing the point any further. Just wanted to pass on info. to those out there who know the joy of handling a properly framed 16 in the field. For those who don't it may be worth looking into................[/quote]

According to you information about length of shot string and pellet deformation.........does that mean a 12ga is supperior to a 16 in that regard.

You mention a 6lb 3oz 16 ga as light to carry. I would agree. But a Rem 11-87 upland special with 3" chamber option and 3 shell capacity is 6lb 4oz on a 12 ***** frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts