Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for opinions on finishes for accessories and if anyone has had any problems with their coated aluminum products vs. anodized products. I've hard coat anodized items and then had them powder coated in the past but have never had any long term use/wear experience (they usually get sold). I'm looking into a powder coating setup and would really appreciate any insite or experiences you or a friend may have had. Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I know anodizing actually absorbes into the metal so you scratch metal, you're sol, im not sure about hard anodizing is though. I'm pretty sure that hard anod is milspec so it must be good. powder seems to logicly add more protection since it is on top of metal. it should also be less reflective. Just some things to think about

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hard anodizing leaves a surface hard enough that you aren't supposed to be able to scratch it with a screwdriver. Regular anodizing has to be sealed or it will come off on your hands. It is not very durable. The drawbacks to the anodizing process are that there can't be any steel or other metal on the product to be done except the aluminum. Also, the person anodizing, has to know within certain limits exactly what kind of aluminum he is working with in order to control the process properly. Aluminum comes in a large variety of types just as steel does.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. No matter what, the hard anodizing is a must...AND we're getting the powder unit! It will add dimension to everything, but to no effect. There's so many other applications it can be used for, so why not. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.