Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The barrel on my A5 has two * * but mikes out .695 at the muzzel? I do not have any way to measure the bore but this seams like it would be a full choke? If a modified choke is .015 restriction the bore would only be .710 also the gun patterns like a full in my 870. Is the Browning modified tighter or is the barrel miss marked? This is a 1948 Belgium Browning A5 12 light. This is not a problem, just would like to know. Thanks : Bill

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
FWIW, I've noticed that my A-5's from the pre plastic shell, shotcup wad days are always choked tighter than their markings would indicate.

Someone with lots more knowledge than me will be along shortly to clear it up. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I certainly don't have more knowledge than Slim, or anyone else...
but Belgian Browning shotguns, DA's, Superposed, A5's...all of them...have consistently tighter bore measurements than comparable US shotguns of the same era.
Ned Schwing's book on the Superposed has a chart showing the comparable measurements. My ballpark guess on it is that the Belgian guns run 8-10% tighter across the board for all gauges, chokes, etc.
That much said, when Remington introduced the plastic shot column in 1960, all the choke rules (and measurements) went out the window.
Several gun writers of the past and present have stated that the different variations of the plastic shot column/cup will add 1/2 to a full increment to the choking of any shotgun, regardless of barrel length, etc.
You can see this one for yourself by buying some paper, or plastic shells with no shot column, just the old cardboard or felt top and base wads, and patterning the gun with them and modern shells at the same distances.
Bottom line, I think if you're shooting good quality shells with plastic shot columns/cups in your gun with a mod choke, you're probably pushing full as far as pattern density goes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information this old A5 has been an education. I recently picked it cheep ($ 115) it has no rib but is in OK mechanical condition, other than a left hand extractor that I just replaced. Was surprised at how well it fit me and how well it operated even with out the left extractor. The stock while not cracked shows a lot of handling with only lines where the checkering was. There is about 50% blue remaining and there is a rough spot under the barrel where it looks like the owner used it to push down fence wire. It is an old gun with a lot of character and I wish it could talk to tell its stories. I plan on using it for doubles this winter and leaving it pretty much as is. Thanks again : Bill

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
$115 for an A-5 that goes bang is a deal.

The plain barrels are the best handling IMO, and spare the weight of the rib, particularly the solid ribs.

I know what you mean about "if this gun could talk", I had a late 40's Light 12 with a Cutts that was in very nice shape except that the right side of the stock had 8 or 9 pellets of what looked like 7 1/2 shot, and there were some dings in the reciever too.

The spooky thing was that when you mounted the gun, you realized there were no pellets where you were holding it! :shock:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope to get a lot of shooting out of this old gun. I shoot a little trap (a round or two a week), use an 870 for singles and handicap but think the A5 will be good for doubles. Have been thinking of getting a plastic stock to use in winter shoot (rain and snow are common) but like the wood as it belongs to the guns history. Thanks for all the responses. Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts