Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a lot of ducks this morning but was able to get my limit in a couple hours. After a lot of issues finding a good load I found one that patterned nicely, had 420 grains of #4 steel shot and ran about 1425 fps. It was night and day more effective than what I had been using.
Twig Grass Wood Terrestrial plant Plant

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I have that same gun but use the 870 whenever I have to kayak in someplace. I saw the first snow geese of the season today and had some very close encounters several groups of swans (no swan permit) so the birds must be moving. As I was picking up my decoys all the mallards started coming in from the fields but I had already shot my limit so just watched them come in for a landing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I laugh when folks tell me you can't kill geese with a 20 and that you need 3.5" BBB....I shoot 7/8oz 2's for snows, specks and honkers and 3/4oz 4's for ducks and lesser canadas....
Sky Vertebrate People in nature Cotton Mammal
Table Furniture String instrument Wood String instrument accessory
Sky Ecoregion Bird Wood Beak
Bird Sky Cloud Beak Feather
Wood Pollution Grass Soil Natural material
Camouflage Military camouflage Plant Flowerpot Hat
Vehicle Tire Beak Feather Wing
Cloud Vertebrate Camouflage Military camouflage Sky

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
Nice jewlery on that last photo, Canuck. I live on a part o the flyway that ain't exactly a highway and it is rare to collect a peice of bird jewlery around here. My neighbor got a banded mallard once and the tavern was talking about it for days.

Reactions: The Canuck

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Results don’t lie! I have killed more geese with #3 and #4 shot simply because the geese will show up while duck hunting I rarely target them. I’ve never seen a band with a dollar amount on it, that’s pretty sweet! I take it both bands were put on at the same time?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I need to have more faith in my 20!

Reactions: The Canuck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Results don’t lie! I have killed more geese with #3 and #4 shot simply because the geese will show up while duck hunting I rarely target them. I’ve never seen a band with a dollar amount on it, that’s pretty sweet! I take it both bands were put on at the same time?
Yes one is called the control band and the other the reward band. We once shot 10 mallards in two hunts with $100 reward bands. They are the green ones on my lanyard. That was before I moved to my current location. Bands are few and far between here. We get them mostly on Snows here...

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
I heard about them. :(

But everytime time I clean a bird I checked.

I think.

Did the garbage man come yet?

Does not hurt to check again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This year was rough on 20ga waterfowlers with a big shortage of 20ga steel shot shells. I ended up loading my own which was a fiasco in itself. I decided this winter, in addition to finishing a couple duck boats, I’m going to develop and load enough steel for the next 2 seasons so I’m not left scrounging for shells. Some of the factory loads I ended up with were down right awful and my first reloads blew holes in the wads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great photo's gents, I too exclusively use a 20 Gauge for all waterfowl hunting. I have good results with copper plated bismuth and the right choke.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I see more and more hunters opting for the 20 gauge
less recoil and with premium ammo it can produce
outstanding results
I dont see myself ever going back to a 12ga. I'm using a 2.75" 1100 and killing everything just fine. Several ducks and a few geese with 3/4oz steel 4's and haven't even shot a box of shells yet. I'm shooting this gun better than any other gun I have and the birds die just as well as anything else. I let a couple bismuth go on big ducks and it is almost too much, I think I'll give it another try tomorrow but so far 7/8 of bismuth 4s are ripping my birds to shreds.

I'll tell you what, it really pisses off my hunting buddies when they are shooting 3.5" BB for geese and I whack em stone dead with 3/4oz steel 4's in a 20 gauge. They are over there shucking shells trying to get the candle sticks in when geese are coming, I'm just sitting there ready and willing to drop them with my little gun.

Opening day of duck we had a big discussion on ammo when I pulled out the little gun and they all went "wtf?". For a half hour I heard about how I'm just going to be crippling everything and that they have all tried 1 1/8 shells and will be shooting 1 1/4 from now on due to cripples. I just let them talk and by 8:00 I had shot every single duck in the blind (my limit) while all they did was gimp a gadwall and send it 200 yards sailing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will say you need to pay more attention to what shells you use with the 20ga. due to the lack of shells this year I used a little of everything and some were down right bad as in the patterns were blown at 25 yards. I doubt I will load anything other than 4 shot after this year, the denser pattern was far more effective than #2&3 shot loads. The patterns were more even too. I’m looking forward to developing better steel loads over the winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts