Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking around the boards for a little while now and have thoroughly enjoyed all the information here.

I am looking at a first time purchase for a shotgun. After reviewing all of the posts here for first time buyers/shooters I am thinking the Rem 870 is going to be the one. I am planning on using it primarily for beginning skeet/home defense.

A this time I have a few questions from what I am seeing out there.

I was at Walmart this past weekend and saw a Remington 870 Express Magnum. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to having a Magnum? Can I shoot 2 3/4" in a shotgun chambered for 3 1/2"?

Is the Rem Choke adjustable to be able to use for Skeet?

Is there a advantage/disadvantage to having a 26" as opposed to a 28" barrell for skeet?

Thanks for any advice in advance....

MI357

·
Registered
86 Posts
:D Hello there MI357. I think you were looking at a remington "870". If that is the case, you can shoot anything from 2 3/4 inch, 3 inch to the 3 1/2 inch. You may find that the 2 3/4 inch and the 3 inch "may" pattern better; may. The remchokes are not adjustable. They screw in. So, you can select what choke you want and screw it into the end of the barrel. The last remington more scatter gun I purchased came with three chokes. An improved cylinder, modified and a full. Those three will cover most anything you want to shoot. If you want something else, go the Brownells.com. I think they may have a million different chokes. There may be advantage in the 28 inch barrel in that it has a "little" more length and weight on the end. Sometimes that will help your swing. I have always liked the longer barrels. You have to try them yourself to see which one works for you!! Good luck :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Almost forgot; Long barrel shotgun are not good house guns. They take up to much room the move around. If you are dead set on using a shotgun as a house gun you need a short barrel. Shooting any gun in you house bears a great deal of responsible. It ain't like the movies. Small shot will shot through most house walls. And at house ranges(measured in feet) the small shot load will usually stay together in one lump. Do a lot of thinking about it first. But, remember what Deputy Marshal Yawn told the superior court. "If you know you are going to a gunfight; take a shotgun". Good Luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get something called the Winchester Defender the whole thing is only 30 something inches. My Dad got one for $150 30 years ago so by now they are probably $100 or $80.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:?

I did edit my original post to state that it is an 870...not a 570 that I am set on.

It was a long day yesterday.... :)

I was thinking about getting the 18" barrell to keep on the 870 when it is used for home defense.....thoughts????

Primarily I will first reach for my 357 revolver for home defense as it is more readily accessible...the shotgun will be a distant backup for home defense...some I am more likely to use it for skeet 90% of the time....

G

·
MI357 said:
Primarily I will first reach for my 357 revolver for home defense as it is more readily accessible...the shotgun will be a distant backup for home defense...some I am more likely to use it for skeet 90% of the time....
hmmm...i'd definitely reach for the shotgun first in that situation...and keep the 357 as the back up...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts