Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know you guys get sick of hearing these, i want your opinion questions, but its a big help to those who are new, so thanx!,,,,,,,My question,,, i am not new to shooting, own some hands guns, and 22. 410. 20., looking for a 12 gauage,,,, My number one pick right now is a Remington 870 Wingmaster, is this a versatile gun for hunting/trap/skeet? and whats the big difference between the express and the wingmaster, is the wingmaster worth the extra cash? thanx Paul

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Bikerguy600 said:
i know you guys get sick of hearing these, i want your opinion questions, but its a big help to those who are new, so thanx!,,,,,,,My question,,, i am not new to shooting, own some hands guns, and 22. 410. 20., looking for a 12 gauage,,,, My number one pick right now is a Remington 870 Wingmaster, is this a versatile gun for hunting/trap/skeet? and whats the big difference between the express and the wingmaster, is the wingmaster worth the extra cash? thanx Paul
Basically a 870 is a 870, the major difference is the fit and finish between an express and a Wingmaster, just extra time spent on polishing up the metal/innards and those lovely walnut stocks. A Wingmaster will handle any of the chores you want it for and then some, and look purdy to boot.
Having started hunting in the days before shotguns started looking like military weapons, I have a preference for good old blue metal and the nice warm cozy feel of walnut stocks. So my answer might be suspect:
:arrow: YES, the Wingmaster is worth the extra bucks! {RO
Mine sure was over thirty years ago and still is today!

:p Model 870 Wingmaster-12 gauge-28" mod/vent ribbed/ 2 3/4" chambered barrel ( choke tubes added mid '80's)
Used for all sorts of: ducks, rabbits, quail, Pheasant and those round black and yeller thingies! :lol:

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Not a Problem!
Nice to see someone buying a pump gun for the quality of the workmanship rather then how cheap they can get one!
:B3

·
Registered
371 Posts
An 870 with a 28 inch barrel and screw in chokes is about as versatile as any shotgun you can get. They are very well made and if maintained with a little proper care will last a lifetime.

As far as the difference in price thats a matter of opinion. I personally think the Wingmaster should be a little closer in price to the Express. The Wingmaster is more than double the price and is about $100 more than a BPS.

On the other hand the 870 Express is one of the best values in the gun world.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Personally I think the Wingmaster is worth the extra money for two reasons- it looks better and indeed -does- last longer. Every express i've ever messed with starts to get loose and rattle at about 10,000 rounds.
I have a Wingmaster 12 that the last time it saw a gunsmith was at 30,000 rounds for a look over and the smith said internally that gun spec'd out to still be within factory tolerences, and it's probably had 20,000 more put through it since then (it was my dad's since 1971, now i use it as my go to gun). It's still as tight and looks as good as it did the day it was new. It of course has been maintained excellently and has never had anything besides lead shot put down the (still original) barrel.
If you intend the gun to last longer than you will, put out the change for the Wingmaster. If you want the gun to go to the grave with you, get an Express.

Justin

·
Registered
230 Posts
Another vote for the Wingmaster! All statements above are true. Shop around a little. You just might find that a Wingmaster can be had for close to the same price of an Express. My last (recent) purchase was a new Wingmaster 16/28, and was priced less than any 12 or 20 Express model.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I agree with everybody here, I'd take the Wingmaster over the Express. Except for my waterfowling gun, a very UGLY 11-87 cammo Sportsman, I prefer the classic look of nice wood & blued steel. The only reason I have a cammo 11-87 is hunting out of a boat in salt water is tough on a gun. If it gets nicked or scratched, I just don't care. The wood on an Express tends to scratch easier than that of a Wingmaster. If asthetics are not important to you, by all means get the Express & save some money. I have seen 26" barrel guns go on clearance at Walmart before the 28" ones do. Some people are hung up thinking they need a 28" for hunting, but the 26" is not a handicap in that application. So sometimes they sit in the racks longer & they will get put on clearance. I don't shoot skeet so I can't give advice on barrel length there, but I do shoot some trap and use my 21" barreled 1100 Special Field and do pretty good.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have had my Wingmaster since 1980. With care, and about 30k rounds through the barrel, it still looks fantastic. It is still my primary shotgun even though I own 4 others. The only real update was that I broke down last year and bought a Remchoked barrel. It is quite possibly the most perfect shotgun system ever invented.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts