Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed the Optima Skeet hulls are about 1/8" longer than the HS. My thoughts were, if you increase the payload to be 7/8 oz, for a hunting load, what would this do to chamber pressures?

In this pic, the HS has 3/4 oz with the CBHS clone wad. The Optima has 7/8 oz with the same wad. Each have the same powder charge of Longshot from a #14 bushing.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
In the same hull, changing nothing but increasing the shot load will increase chamber pressure. Think about it, you will have more resistance against the igniting powder which will cause more of the ignition to happen in the chamber.

My best advice: DON'T do it unless you have a published recipe.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have said, how much would it increase chamber pressures.

But,

My best advice: DON'T do it unless you have a published recipe.
that's the problem. I don't know of any published loads.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Bud, how much difference is there between the 3/4 oz. shot load in the AA an what it takes to fill the Optima hull?

Weigh a drop from the Optima hull with it filled an see what you get.

Adding 8-10 pellets won't hurt, but if you're having to add a lot more than that I'd be hesitant about trying it.

Add a Cherrio or wheat puff to fill it out. :lol: It works. :oops:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd shoot it and Have shot it. Not in an optima but in Fio hulls. The ched load calls from 15-16.7gr of LS with the ched hull. Your at what 14.7gr of LS(thats what my #14 throws)?

Now the only thing i would look at maybe worry about and probably would do is use a PT28 wad. they are the Lowest pressured wad in my opinion.

I would also load ONE by hand and weight everything and then weigh each finished shell against that one. Any that are way over i'd set aside and take apart later.

If you want to go to a 7/8oz load, the ched hulls are the way to go, easy to use and you don't have to change the crimp settings.

Also from the other post that says stars are ched etc that dog won't hunt. The star means nothing. I've seen fio, ched, martigoni, nobel, rio both with and without the star. The basewad is what counts and even then it gets iffy.

This is why the Brits go with either Straightwalled or Tapered hulls.

Don't you love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only way to be sure is to get it pressure tested. Maybe $20 total.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had two loaded at 7/8oz using the Claybuster HS clone. 14.8gr Longshot, W209.

Shot them from Station 7 this afternoon. The clays didn't know the difference. Neither did the BPS or my shoulder. {RO

Eyemissum was hiding a bit though as he pulled for me :lol:

The W209 primer, which is supposed to be loose fitting, didn't leak, flatten, bulge, back out, or anything else to show increased/excessive pressures.

I'll just have to tuck that one away for future field use. It's definitely not a skeet load for every day use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts