Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to sporting clays (a few months) and purchased a Yildz 12 ga. to see if I'd like the sport...I LIKE IT.

Today I purchased a used Browning O/U 20ga with XXXXXPT636 serial number. The sides of the silver receiver have 2 birds (assume grouse) in flight inside intricate floral scroll work (the mating surface on the barrel is also engraved). The receiver is engraved top/bottom/sides, as is the bottom of the trigger guard.

The barrel says special steel 20 ga. 2 3/4 and 3" 26" and is made in China (I have been properly corrected below...it says Japan). It appears to have never been fired.

What year/model do I have? 1986 for the year?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Maybe you're getting your Asian countries mixed up.

Did it say Made in Japan?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bumping this one.

The Browning web site is very confusing. I've tried to find another gun like it on the web and the only thing that looks close is a grade V Citori Field...but I don't think the one I bought is a grade V...but the engraving does look very "similar."

I paid $995: it came with 3 invector chokes and a Browning case. After getting it home and upon extremely close examination, I can state emphatically that it has never been fired. Whoever owned it must have had it crammed in a safe, because the wood is scuffed and dented in a few spots, but the metal is 99.9%. So I think I made a decent buy...but until I find out exactly what I have...no way to know for sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zzbobw...to 1998 all citori model designator codes end in "3". Recheck your "engine number" and make sure it really ends in 636
Thanks for the response. Good catch...it was a typo on my part. The number is 363 (not 636). It still does not compute with anything I can find on Browning's site. I've read other posts where the serial number was not applied correctly to the gun. Maybe it should have been a 163 or 863.

Also, I took the butt plate off and it has a large hole drilled down the stock. Is this indicative of only the Lightning models, or do all/others have it too.

Regardless, I finally took the choke sticker off the barrel (yeah, it still had the original sticker on it.) I'm taking it out Saturday to run a hundred rounds or so through it. It fits me well, and points rapidly for me. [/u]

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Okay, let me get this straight - we have a "Dyslexic" man down in Texas who is going out with a loaded shotgun?? Hmmmmm.. :lol:

Good Luck with your new toy.

PS
that big hole in the end of the stock has a bolt in it that holds the stock to the receiver.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Conman....Okay, let me get this straight - we have a "Dyslexic" man down in Texas who is going out with a loaded shotgun?? Hmmmmm..
Kinda scary, huh. I have to educate folks at the range that I yell "Lup" for the clays. :shock:

And thanks for the info on the big hole...I should've figured that one out...doh!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just for the record, I called Browning and they stated that I have a 1986 Grade III Hunting model.

Sorry, but I was so excited at finally getting an answer, I forgot to ask him if there was a way to tell from looking at the serial number. I could hear him doing a lot of typing in the background, so their data base must have stuff that the web site doesn't show.

Thanks for all the input. Saturday, this 1986 20 ga. will get shot for the first time...yeehaw!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts