Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys/gals I am coaching our schools shooting team this year. NOt exactly an appointment of desire but.

Certanly we will have all types of guns and they all shoot differently as do each shooter. As a fundamental in my thought the POA and POI is crucial in being able to hit. I my self am self taught and not to bad if I must say so.

I don't fear instructing these kids,, I just want to be sure I get the correct info to these youngsters.

Any one can pick up a shot gun and pull the trigger. Will they hit? Maybe or mabye not.

Mounting the gun: each of us are different, POA not hard to get. POI all depends on the gun and how you mount it.

We had sign up meeting tonight, had 35 to show, big group. Can't take one on one as I do my kids.

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
35 is a lot of students for one instructor. See if you can get some assistants. If you can recruit some just make sure that you are all teaching from the same book.

Besides reviewing the safety rules with the group in the beginning, I would have every one take a shot or 2 at a patterning board at 30 yard to confirm Point of Impact and gun fit.

Being it is a shooting team I hope you will not have all beginners. If you have any beginners, start them with a trap locked on straight aways from post 3, then move to post 1 then post 5. Then lock the trap for the the hard lefts then rights. This should also help the experienced shooters to, especially if they are having a problem post/target.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
35 is too many for one instructor. I like the classroom first then the trap range to allow the shooters to follow the written material. Also something that can be referenced at a later time. Taking each aspect of shooting incrementally. From safety, rules of the range, to gun set up and POA/POI, to form options, to vision and move.

Although each squad of shooters needs overview while shooting. One instructor can focus on each aspect of trapshooting. Individually the student learns something, then gets to shoot some targets maintaining their interest, and try to apply what they have learned. Personally, I like adults, but enjoy seeing a young shooter develop. Actually, I like to help with shooting problems of more experienced shooters most. Way easier than 35 kids all wanting to break targets as soon as they step foot on the range. May the force be with you.

Maltzie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys I appreciate you input I will certanly follow your advice. I assisted the coach last year, needless to say he didn't desire to commit this year.

Only had 12 last year not hard to handle at all. After seeing 35 of them last night I started to wonder what have I got myself into.

First and foremost is safty. I don't tollerate anything less on the range or in the backyard. With this size of group being young shooters I'm shure a few will weed themselvs out. Do to lake of self dissaplen.

I'm sure I can find some responsible parents to help out. I don't have a problem working with youngsters, I was Scout Master for a few years.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I know of a gentleman who, on the first day of live firing, puts a few plastic gallon of milk jugs out, filled with water and a little red food coloring. He then shoots them, to demonstrate to the kids how important gun safety is.

You may not want to do something that dramatic, but 35 is a *huge* number of kids to deal with for one adult, and you can't afford any horseplay whatsoever.

Cameron

·
Registered
25 Posts
The milk jug idea would probably not be appropriate, plus may be not allowed at your local range. With 35 people you might want to stagger the practice a little at first, take a group of 15 one day and then 20 the next until you figure out who can be trusted. Also you have make sure the students understand the little things. For example, a few years back at my club, a first timer was out shooting skeet and got to station 7, a broken target was thrown from the high house that flew to the left and into, the stations. She pointed her gun at that target and shot right at a group of guys and a shotgun rack with several guns on it. Luckily no one was injured, though the guns caught a few pellets. Now every new person we have shoot, we tell them just to not shoot at a target that curves inward. It is little, common sense stuff like that that you will need to pay particular attention too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
skeet4cy said:
a broken target was thrown from the high house that flew to the left and into, the stations. She pointed her gun at that target and shot right at a group of guys and a shotgun rack with several guns on it..
WOW, that situation certanly had the potential be bad.

Just to clue you in, we are not a large area nor do we have a club located near us. The shooting team shoots on privatly own land that the owner has alocated this erea exclusivly for us. The team has been using this land for around 5 years. To be legal we must have certified range instructors to over see the operation. We have a local law inforcement range instructor that volunteered to fill this position.

We don't do bad considring, we missed going to state last year by 3 points.

The instructors/coaches are all voluniteers. I didn't agree with how the coach last year did things but being that I was just a responsible parent dedicated to helping I stayed silent and didn't challenge his technique.

I took my son and two of his friends and helped them privately at my home. My son was in the top 3 shooters, one of his friends at his side. The other one was in the top 5. All 3 were new shooters. Did I have anything to do with it? Who knows, maybe it was just luck.

With all this knowledge on this site and the size of the group, I thought I should ask. I will be the first to admit I'm not a know it all and always eager to hear others opinions.

We shoot 5 stand trap, 4 rounds at each station and then rotate until all 5 stations have been occupied by each shooter. I have never shot organized trap before. My friends and I would get out in a field and just start shooting. This was the extent of my trap shooting until last year.

Again I would like to say thanks for your suggestions. I feel that I will get them started in the right direction. Who knows maybe we can take state this year and head to nationals.

One more question for you to ponder on. I shoot with both eyes open, my son due to me not informing him until after he had already gotten into his click shoots with one eye. Should I try to inforce shooting with both eyes open or just let there own nature decide for them?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Shooting with both eyes open is dependent on the shooter's dominant eye being the eye looking over the barrel. Try and point at an object with your right index finger closing your right eye. Now open your right eye and close the left. That is where you will be shooting if you are mounting the gun on the non-dominate eye shoulder.

If your son is shooting with his dominate eye looking down the top of the barrel, I would ask that he give shooting with both eyes open a good try. 2 or 3,000 shots. With trap shooting your are not handicapped much by giving up 50% of your peripheral vision.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Many years ago, I attended a new-trap-shooters class held by Dick Bennett at his Boxhorn Gun Club in Muskego, Wisconsin, southwest of Milwaukee. It was exceptional. (He has since sold Boxhorn.)

I don't remember if Dick had notes or not but he had weekly classes for something like 4 or 6 weeks. Each class began with a lecture/discussion, using a large pad on an easel, followed by shooting at trap targets.

At the time I attended, Dick had just written the first version of his excellent book, Trapshooting is a Game of Opposites, which is now available from Shotgun Sports Magazine for about $20 (unless it is still on sale for half-price.) - http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com. The book would be a very good teaching tool.

You might be able to contact Dick and ask if he had a course outline. His Phone number could be gotten from information. He lives in either Hales Corners, WI or Franklin, WI. Both are in the 414 area code.

If you reach him, say that I suggested you call to ask about the great introductory trap shooting classes he held at Boxhorn.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Waverider,

I did as you suggested, my right eye is dominant as this is the side I shoulder with. However my sons left eye is dominant and he shoulders on his right side.

I will leave him to progress in his own way. He shoots well, he loves giving me a run for my money and sometimes he may hand me some spare change.

Rollin Osawld,

Thanks for your input. I will take the information you have given me and act on it. As far as checking into the book.

Do you know Mr. Bennett on a personal level? Forgive me for asking, but if I am to contact him I would like to know in which light I would be doing so.

As you have read I have been handed a slightly larger task than I had anticipated. Although with my ability to convey understanding and the help from the fine indaviduals on this forum. We will be able to shape this group into fine shooting squads.

Just to let you all know I have 2 parents willing to commit with me. Our first on field meeting will be on 1/05/08, must say looking forward to it.

To share an experiance I had with one of my sons friends last year. He was shooting bad, I mean real bad. I would suggest this and then that. Nothing I said seemed to help. This went on for several backyard practices. Until finally one day I asked him what was he shooting at?

I was becoming frustrated and I know he was. I had a plywood plinking target set up, I went over hung a clay from a splinter and told him to shoot it. He looked at me like I was stupid. I said again just shoot it. He got it in his sights and boom, the clay just slid down the target. He shot way high, and we were only at 15 yds. I put the same clay back up then told him to shoot again. Boom, it shattered. I asked him did he know what he did. He said yes and from then on his shooting got better until he was the fith high shooter.

Waverider this is where mounting of the gun, POA, and POI was burnt into my brain. If you can't hit a fixed target no way you're going to hit a moving one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts