Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is John. I started shooting trap about 18 months ago and shortly after also found sporting clay's which I absolutely love. You could go as far as to say I'm obsessed with clay's games. I shoot approximately 10 rounds of trap a week. through so much practice I've become pretty good. My situation is fairly peculiar. I'm blind in my right eye. Due to being blind in my right eye it is sometimes difficult to follow the clay with my eye open and really focus and connect on the shot. Also due to the eye sight issue I don't have the luxury of having depth perception. I watch all the you tube videos I can and I'm just having trouble getting the hang of sporting clay's. I'm just wondering if anyone with eye sight issues or visual disabilities might have any tips or tricks for me. honestly Ill take any help I can get. I just want to shoot to the best of my ability. Thanks in advance!

-John

·
Registered
497 Posts
My brother lost his left eye, and has actually gotten back pretty good (for an old guy) with one eye. He only shoots Sporting Clays. Realize that there will be some shots that you won't be able to pick up where other people do, set where you can see it. Your visual pickup point will be hugely important. When you are waiting to shoot make sure you are practice picking up the bird. Be aware you are going to have to shoot some longer shots. Make sure you have various color lenses for your glasses. You may have to change a bit more than others to pick up colors.

If you read some of the posts, some people intentionally shoot with one eye closed and can really put up some scores. The eye is definitely a hindrance, but isn't a deal breaker. The best is that you won't have to listen to people ask you if you are sure you are left eye dominant.

If you ever get down to Florida, we would be happy to shoot with you.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
John, first of all, congrats for finding a great obsession! Second, very impressive to keep working hard with such a tough condition.

I would recommend for sporting you try and shoot as much in mounted as possible. Even a very very 'loose' head will allow you to turn your head prior to calling for the target if you're locked down on the gun.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have coached people with either one eye or a damaged eye I suggest that you find a coach who can specifically help you. You will need the kind of approach to targets that opfats suggested, and other method modifications to compensate. Unless the coach has experience of single eye shooters, avoid them and 'friends' trying to help. For example mounted is not the way for most of your shots.

With your good attitude you can have fun and progress in this game

all the best

Roger

·
Registered
459 Posts
John,
I have a lot of eye problems that stem from an eye injury that caused temporary complete blindness as a child. I recommend shooting a low gun in Sporting Clays as this will allow you to point your nose at the spot that the clay 1st becomes visible...this is critical for you and me. I would recommend a great pair of shooting glasses that will allow you to change lenses as the background and lighting conditions change. I shoot Pilla 580's because they allow me to collect every bit of undistorted light possible.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
John,

Everyone has given you great advise. If you could find an ophthalmologist or optometrist that shoots they may have some advise regarding lenses etc.. A coach with experience is a must. Try not to be the first or second shooter, look at the targets and commit them to memory. The shots that are difficult, practice them until you understand what you must to to break that type of target. Lastly hit the pattern board and see where your guns shoots.
Welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.