Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
I have a pair and absolutely love them. If you can stomach the price, you won’t regret them (I bought from optics planet when they were having a sale). Their main business is making hearing protection and headsets for the military, so that speaks well to the general technology they have at hand.

For me, They’re extremely comfortable to wear. I use the rubber cups (they provide two sizes), but they also provide foam if you prefer.

The battery lasts forever. I can wear for an entire morning of trap and the earpieces go from 100% down to 80-90% battery. The charge case is also really nice and has a pretty high capacity rechargeable battery - I have to recharge the case only every month or two.

They do a really good job of blocking sound, with excellent directional sensitivity for normal sound. The cutoff for blocking gun report is instantaneous. Yet, I can hear normal conversation as though I weren’t wearing them at all. I’ve found this especially nice when hunting. When I used to wear the Howard Leight electronic muffs, I couldn’t always tell where the bird was flushing (e.g., somewhere to my right, but in front of me? Behind me?). With the Ottos, there’s no problem pinpointing location.

If you have specific questions, let me know. Only complaint? I wish they were orange! Don’t drop them when out in the woods - the olive green coloring looks cool, but makes them hard to find in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
821 Posts
I've had mine for ~3 years now, absolutely no regrets they are worth every penny.

Heard my first grouse flush in many years first time I wore them hunting. I wish they were orange as well, I've hid them on myself more than once. Including this summer thought they were lost for good so went back to foam ear plugs for clays. After using the Otto's for a couple of years and going back to foam plugs ugh is the first thing that comes to mind. Almost purchased another pair several times but a little voice in my head said keep looking. I did, but not hard enough. Getting ready for hunting season this year guess what I found in the pocket of my softshell hunting vest?

I sent that picture to a friend of mine that I shoot with I was so happy to find them again. And they were still fully charged. Not only can I hear the dog in the woods with them I can hear grouse running through the leaves if it is dry. Several of my friends that I shoot with have purchased them after listening to me talk about them.

Dec. 7th I have a meeting with a Veteran Service Advisor for hearing loss and tinnitus. Only been 26 years since I've retired from the Navy LOL, I spent 20 years in the engine room of ships with boilers and steam turbines. Always was careful to wear hearing protection including double hearing protection where required. But that much exposure over that long of a time causes hearing loss. The Otto's have 2 levels normal and amplified (high). Even with my jacked up hearing on high sometimes shooting SC in the woods or hunting with wind the sound of leaves rustling is so loud that it can be distracting so I turn them down to normal. Yeah I like them. A lot.

And shooting 5 stand, SC, or skeet it is really nice to hear what is going on around you.

· Registered
88 Posts
How far do these stick out of your ears? I have been looking for a good set of earbuds that I am able to wear a beanie over during the colder months. Thanks!
They sit well in my ear and don't stick out at all. Obviously we all have differently shaped ears, so it could be different for others, but I wear these all the time with a knit cap/beanie in the winter months and they work great.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm leaning toward buying a pair of these. Primarily for trap and skeet so I can hear the people around me as well as the occasional bird hunt. I'm a bit in the same boat with the hearing loss / tinnitus. I retired from a lifetime around noise / airplanes / jets / helicopters. Now I'm paying the price for young stupidity and trying to save what I have left, or at least not make the tinnitus worse. What are your thoughts about the sound suppression of the gunshots....good enough?
I was also looking at the E.A.R Chameleon HearDefender...it's a passive filter molded ear plug. They're about half the price but their advertised impulse noise protection is less than the Otto's...and they don't have the hearing enhancement

· Registered
88 Posts
I don't have tinnitus or hearing loss (at least that I know of!), but I find the sound suppression to be excellent. The foam plugs that the Ottos come with are advertised to offer better sound suppression than the rubber earcups, but I've never found the need to try them out as the rubber works great for me. Being able to communicate with the trap puller, folks on the trap line with you, or people in your sporting clays group is a great benefit - both for convenience and safety - and is the reason I moved on from passive ear protection.

· Registered
Cynergy - Euro Sporting and CX
775 Posts
ChiTime commented on the ability to communicate while wearing these. Thanks. Can anyone else comment on this? I normally wear hearing aids and have not found a moderately priced set of electronic plugs that provide any amplification of normal conversation. All the muffs I have tried interfere with my mount. I currently shy away from shooting with strangers because even if I take my disposable plugs out between stations, I cannot hear normal conversation.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
I am a strong believer in good, cheap, foam earplugs. The best ones provide the highest level of protection you can get in any earplug, 31-33 dB reduction. Of course they have to be porperly inserted, first mashed and rolled into a fine, narrow cone and then placed deeply into the ear canal where they expand to completely fill the space. None of the fancy earplugs can beat that performance. Certainly no muffs can either. And the foam plugs fit nearly everybody for no added charge. When shooting with other folks, I combine the earplugs with Walker Raptor bone conduction amplifiers to be able to hear speech. The Raptors have Bluetooth and let you answer the cellphone with the press of a button. Since the bone conduction system puts the sound through the cheek bones, it doesn't have to try to bypass the earplugs for you to hear. The amplifiers incorporate protection against the gun noise. It is IMO the best system for ear protection with conversation capability that I know of.

· Registered
88 Posts
ChiTime commented on the ability to communicate while wearing these. Thanks. Can anyone else comment on this? I normally wear hearing aids and have not found a moderately priced set of electronic plugs that provide any amplification of normal conversation. All the muffs I have tried interfere with my mount. I currently shy away from shooting with strangers because even if I take my disposable plugs out between stations, I cannot hear normal conversation.
The Ottos have two modes - one is regular sound enhancement (which is to say no enhancement - just regular conversational levels - like you aren’t wearing them at all), but the second mode amplifies sound a lot. It still cuts in to attenuate gunfire, but the rest of the time it really amplifies. And it’s a lot of amplification (I think the advertise it as 4x or 5x). Like, lightly brushing my sleeve against my jacket sounds like loudly crumpling a stiff paper bag right next to your ear. Unfortunately it’s only just the two modes, no middle ground for adjustment or fine tuning.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am a strong believer in good, cheap, foam earplugs. The best ones provide the highest level of protection you can get in any earplug, 31-33 dB reduction. Of course they have to be porperly inserted, first mashed and rolled into a fine, narrow cone and then placed deeply into the ear canal where they expand to completely fill the space. None of the fancy earplugs can beat that performance. Certainly no muffs can either. And the foam plugs fit nearly everybody for no added charge. When shooting with other folks, I combine the earplugs with Walker Raptor bone conduction amplifiers to be able to hear speech. The Raptors have Bluetooth and let you answer the cellphone with the press of a button. Since the bone conduction system puts the sound through the cheek bones, it doesn't have to try to bypass the earplugs for you to hear. The amplifiers incorporate protection against the gun noise. It is IMO the best system for ear protection with conversation capability that I know of.
Interesting! that's something I hadn't heard of, or considered. I agree about the foam earplugs. I'm an RSO at our local range, and for that I do use foam earplugs under Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs. I can turn the volume up enough to hear and that works pretty good.

· Registered
498 Posts
Anyone with a hearing loss tried the bone conduction set up?
I also have moderate hearing loss from too many years on the flightline. I'm currently using a set of AKT1 earmuffs in conjunction with my hearing aids turned down to a low setting. The hearing aids have a built in noise attenuation circuit also. With this setup I can hear conversations, but loud sounds are effectively blocked. The AKT1 muffs are extremely comfortable, but they occasionally interfere with my mount, so looking for an "in-ear" option that will also work with my hearing loss.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
The Ottos have two modes - one is regular sound enhancement (which is to say no enhancement - just regular conversational levels - like you aren’t wearing them at all), but the second mode amplifies sound a lot. It still cuts in to attenuate gunfire, but the rest of the time it really amplifies. And it’s a lot of amplification (I think the advertise it as 4x or 5x). Like, lightly brushing my sleeve against my jacket sounds like loudly crumpling a stiff paper bag right next to your ear. Unfortunately it’s only just the two modes, no middle ground for adjustment or fine tuning.

Perhaps so, but what is the dB reduction they provide. That is the most important thing.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Anyone with a hearing loss tried the bone conduction set up?
I also have moderate hearing loss from too many years on the flightline. I'm currently using a set of AKT1 earmuffs in conjunction with my hearing aids turned down to a low setting. The hearing aids have a built in noise attenuation circuit also. With this setup I can hear conversations, but loud sounds are effectively blocked. The AKT1 muffs are extremely comfortable, but they occasionally interfere with my mount, so looking for an "in-ear" option that will also work with my hearing loss.
The bone conduction amplifiers obviate the problem of muffs hitting the gun.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Interesting! that's something I hadn't heard of, or considered. I agree about the foam earplugs. I'm an RSO at our local range, and for that I do use foam earplugs under Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs. I can turn the volume up enough to hear and that works pretty good.
Those muffs interfered with my stock since I keep my head upright.

· Registered
537 Posts
I'm looking for some good earplugs with adequate protection for these old tinnitus ears for trap / skeet. Anybody have any experience with the Otto NoizeBarrier Micro? (NoizeBarrier Micro High Definition Electronic Earplugs Hearing Protection)
JD
Simply compare the NRR. I use foam earplugs as do many shooters. They are cheap, disposable, and very effective. Caution: most people do not insert them properly. Pull up and out on your ear with your opposite side hand and insert the rolled up earplug into the straightened ear canal with your same side hand and let it expand.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts