Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holding a BD next to a WAA12F114, it looks to me that the Winchester might hold about 1/2 of a row of #7-1/2 shot more than the BD, and have seen 1-1/4 data for the dusters in Active hulls (which gave me the idea)...I'd probably use them in Game Load hulls.

Thumbs up or down?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
which game load hulls? the way i use them, blues are perfect for 1 ounce :roll:

just handload some with your recipe, compress the wad into the powder with whatever blunt you have handy--i won't mess with a load if the top of the shot isn't a bare minimum of .375'' from the top of the hull, but my best are .450''.

another factor when looking at wads, is how much the overpowder cup holds.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, hoa and TT.

I don't HAVE to put that much shot in anything, but I WANT to...it knocks the snot out of pigeons. And I have a couple thousand BD's that I don't use much anymore and Remington (sorry 'bout leaving that bit of info. out, TT) GL hulls that don't cause me panic if I leave them lay.

i won't mess with a load if the top of the shot isn't a bare minimum of .375''...
Agreed, and I've found the need to use about 70# of wad pressure with the Winchester wads to get everything crimped in the hull...at the present moment, I'm only wondering (while I sit here at my desk 20 miles away from my loading stuff) if BD's might be an alternative for 1/8 oz. more shot than their primary intended purpose.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
If you need hull capacity go to either the Federal Wally World load-which I would leave anyway after one hot load or go to Federal Gold Medal.These are straight walled and will easily take a 1 1/2 oz load-I know from experience it will work.I have even bumped it to 1 5/8oz and blue dot----

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hoashooter said:
If you need hull capacity go to either the Federal Wally World load-which I would leave anyway after one hot load or go to Federal Gold Medal.These are straight walled and will easily take a 1 1/2 oz load-I know from experience it will work.I have even bumped it to 1 5/8oz and blue dot----
I believe you're right. Tried a few loads in the Shure-Shots last night with the BD wads...now I have some disassembly to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.