Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Rifle shells for a 12 ga smooth bore? Doesn't make sense. The bullet requires the lands and grooves to impart spin to keep the projectile from tumbling and for accuracy. There were brass 12ga shells, early black powder and even later smokeless shells were loaded in these before the advent of plastic hulls. Also, the weight of the bullet would be excessivly large needing a whopper powder charge to push, consider the .500 Nitro and the sheer bulk of just the chamber area I don't think that a standard 12ga shotgun could stand up to the pressure.As mentioned there are rifled slugs, which have fins built into the actual slug. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Yes, in most modern firearms the standard Foster slug or rifled slug is perfectly fine to use. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
That is what is used exclusively in some areas, along the top four counties in AL no buckshot with shotguns, some whole states..I think Michigan and OH....you must practice and try various ones to see which one your gun will pattern the best with.I have killed over 20 deer with 20ga slugs through smooth bore shotgun barrels and a nice hog. They do have some distance limitations and some of the brands can be erratic in some guns.I have absolute faith in my guns and shell choice. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
What kind of reloads in what kind of pistol??? To begin with, does your friend reload or is he just repeating what someone else has said or what he thinks he knows? Consider the source when getting info especially off the internet, typically in the reloading forums most recipes are alluded to by there designation....like RSI #107, few recipes are posted and are generally shared through private email, as you just don't know the skill level of the other loaders.Reloading and shooting are dangerous activities IF the safety rules are NOT followed.If you follow the reloading manuals to the letter then there is no more a problem with those reloads than factory ammo. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Note that you can use rifled tube extensions on some shotgun(fabarm) which are supposed to provide some spin Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jay but I figured it out. I didn't know they already had one in there. Well any way I have a Mossberg 500 Pump action and I want to know if it's ok to fire Rifle Slugs with the barrel I have Or do I have to buy a new barrel.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
As previously stated: Yes, in most modern firearms the standard Foster slug or rifled slug is perfectly fine to use. No sabots.Start with the IC tube and see if you can hit a pie plate or paper plate (about a 9" circle roughly the size of the vital area on a deer) at 25 yds, then move out to 50 yds, then 75, and finally 100.Verify that it is either 2.75 or 3" capable. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no idea what Tube I have I could explain it to you if it helps. The Barrel is 28" there's little holes at the end of the barrel. 3" shells or 2.75 Is that the right barrel to shoot the Rifled Slugs?

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
That sounds like a ported barrel....the choke tube is the thing that threads on the inside of the barrel....each one has a different inside diameter.As to 2.75 or 3" either will do, you just have to realize that you can not use the 3" in a 2.75, although the other way will work just fine.If this seems a bit confusing, I would suggest casing the gun and make sure that it is not loaded!!, then go to a gun store or a gun smith and asking for help. They should be able to tell you eactly which choke is in the gun and whether it is capable of being used for slugs. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you got the gun new and it came with a ported barrel then it should be chambered for 3". But taking it to a gun smith would be a good idea. don't want to take any chances with getting hurt. the other thing to do is go to some local gun shows. my dad just bought a used mossberg 500 and a few tables down from that guy there was a used ported rifled slug barrel for $50 the cost of a couple of chokes.guns are like a wife..........I just wish my wife came with an owners manual. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok my friend told me about Nitro Mags what kind of barrel do I need to shoot them Or can I shoot them out of any Barrel. I have a Mosberg Model 500 Pump action Ported barrel I think I dosen't say on it. If I can shoot them do I have to take the choke out or leave it in?

·
Registered
541 Posts
well if it is ported it will have small holes in the top of the barrel on both sides of the rib. it depends on which choke you have in. if you bought it new then it should have come with three. the smallest you can use is the modified with slugs. As far as the nitros I have no experience with them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.