Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a shotgun at a local Gander Mountain. Since I have too many shotguns as it is, I am considering trading. The gun I want to trade for is in the $2500 range, and I figure my shotgun is worth around $1800 retail.

Anyway, has anyone here had any experience trading guns at Gander Mountain? Were they reasonable? Did you think their offer was fair?

Thanks.

bluedsteel

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
70% of the book value is a pretty good estimate though it can be more or less depending on the make, model, options, time of year, the length of time they expect it to sell, if there are similar models already on the shelf, etc. Trading it in on a gun can bring a higher price but 80% of book will be doing good. I've traded a few guns to Gander as well as Cabela's and have gotten good prices on them at the time. I have also been offered a very low price for other guns which I then kept. I have had similar experiences with small shops, more often than not they offered equal to or less than the larger shops. The advantage of a small shop is that they will often sell on consignment which may get you 80-90% of your asking price. The downside is that you are subject to getting the money when the gun sells and that can be quite a while in some localities. There are pluses and minus' to all types of transactions, what is best is up to the seller.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would not recommend trading the gun at GM. I would try to sell it out right by posting it here or on the board at your local club. I think your chances of getting closer to what is worth are better and unless it is a one of a kind new gun I am sure there will be others on the shelf when you sell your gun. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I would also agree to selling yours, then purchase. But also look at the auction sites for value. Trading with Gander is a desperate move IMO, not one of choice.

The Gander local to me, will give 70% of their cost, for a NIB/unfired gun.

I recently made a good deal on a gun at Gander, only because they didn't know what they had.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have found Gander to be reasonable as far as a trade in for a new gun. With me they always look it up in the book and price it according to condition( mine are almost always good) and then take 20% off of the book value. They buy the gun.
If you are not going to buy another gun in return you may not do as well.
Best to sell yourself though. Depends how quick you want the gun.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
My experiences at Gander are they only offer half of book value. Sometime not even. They are rapists.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have traded a couple guns with Gander. I actually just traded my Beretta Extrema 2 MX4 w/ KckOff. I paid $1,320.00 for it and got $1,029.00. Granted, it is in great condition. And it always helps when the price jumped from $1,320.00 to $1,750.00! :twisted: Can't wait for my Citori Satin Hunter to come in...hopefully today or tomorrow?

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
bluedsteel said:
Anyway, has anyone here had any experience trading guns at Gander Mountain? Were they reasonable? Did you think their offer was fair?
You better bring your friend Ben Dover if you're going to trade in a gun anywhere (not just GM). Dealer has to make a profit in order for him to take your gun. Sell here on Shotgunworld, you'll get a better price with a little more hassle. What you got?

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
grousplinker said:
It's really depressing to walk away with $300 from a GM deal, only to go back 3 days later and see your gun on their shelf for $450. I know that that's the way it works but it's still hard to swallow.
Wow, considering they most likely overpriced because they know they will get negotiated down to about 375, you probably walked away with a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I came out of GM feeling warm and fuzzy carrying my new gun trade a year ago...

Traded a 391 12ga field w/26" barrel & wood. Been shot a bunch in about 90-95% condition.
I was told they give 70% of book (net/gross/?). I was wanting the Browning Super Lightning 20ga w/28" barrels :wink:
From watching the sales, Auction sites and such we came to within $25.00 of what I was looking to collect. $675.....
This same 391 is sitting on their used rack @ $995.00 :lol:
A little more worse for the wear too :)

Your mileage may vary, Good Luck :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.