Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone--I am new to the forum and am looking for some answers. I acquired an old 16 gauge double barrell hammer gun. It has Western Arms Co. on it . It also has the ELG proof mark inside an oval with a crown on top. On left barrel it says choke 169 / 170 and on right barrel just 169. It has a letter s with a star above it which I presume is an inspectors mark. It has letters P V between the rib just under the forearm. There is no symbol above these letters and they are about 1/4 inch apart. There are also the numbers 1029 stamped just ahead of them. Further down the barrel it has the letters 6545 which matches the number on the action. The fellow I got it from thought it is from around 1924. Am I correct in assuming this is a Belgian trade gun. I am a bit confused because I measured the chamber with a depth measurement indicator on a caliper and I get 2.767 inches.. This chamber has the abrupt shoulder instead of a taper. I took a fired 2 3/4 shell from another 16 gauge and it fits with no problem. From what I've seen on other sites, 2 3/4 inch was not the norm untill after WW2 This gun doesn't have damascus barrels and on top of the rib between the barrels it says Warranted Government Test. Can anyone give me more info on this gun. Also, can you shoot 2 1/2 inch shells such as lite loads from Poly Wad in a gun that has the shoulder in the chamber if it is designed for 2 3/4 " shells.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Well, if it has the "ELG" proof marks then it was made in Belgium some time between 1890 and 1914 when World War One cut off exports from Europe. If it has the name Western Arms Co it was most likely imported and sold by H & D Folsome a large sporting goods dealer located in New York City.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.