Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this board, and to shotguns. I am looking for a relativly inexpensive home defense shotgun, and happen to see one being sold by SOG (Southern Ohio Gun). Here is the web page: http://www.southernohiogun.com/products.html

It doesn't give alot of information in the description, other that it is a CD tacticle Home Defense Shotgun, 12ga, 18" barrel, cylinder bored(?), 5 shot, and takes 2-3/4 - 3" magnum shells.

as I don't know alot about shotguns, could someone enlightyen me on if this is a good buy or not? Thanks!

Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
when you click on the link, it's about mid-way down the page. Not the Trench gun at the top. Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes hello there and welcome to our friendly shsotgun message board. I know some about it the CD that they are talking about is i beleive Charles Daly I beleive that is how it is spelled no for sure though. Anyways their shotguns are made by a Turkish firearm manufacturer and then imported into this country by Charles Daly,which in turn is sold to other gun dealers and to gun dealer whloesalers. Then they are sold to other gunshops and sporting goods outfits.
Anyways I use to know the Turkish firm that makes them I beleive it is either Dehaan Shotguns formally or use to be know as Huglu shotguns Usa or it might be Ottomanguns or there is one other Turkish firm but I can`t remember their name.Anyways they are mand in Turkey and imported into Usa by Charles Daly.
Now on the price yes that is a pretty good price, but now that $139.95 is if you have a federal firearms license for i think if i am not wrong this place is a wholesale warehouse that usually deals with other firearms dealers and sporting goods outfits. So if you do`nt have a federal firearms license and you have to go through one of your local gunshops where you live they get that price plus tax and shipping and all that then what they will usually do if you have a good ole boy that owns the gunshop you are dealing with is just charge about 10 to 30 percent more than they paid to get it. Now if you have a horses *** for a gun dealer then he or she will try to charge 40 percent or more and really jack up the price on you. But I figure if it was at my local gunshop where i live and hopefully at one of the ones where you live after tax and shipping and all your price should be around between $150.00 and about $189.00 and that for a basic plain jain no frills shotgun that is just made to get the job done and be a good home defense shotgun for someone that doesn`t want or need all the bells and whistles is stilll a pretty damn good buy. as far as I know and have heard from some others these charles Daly shotguns are a good bang for the buck Now they are`nt a Remington , a Mossberg, or a Winchester but now your not paying for the name of thoes big 3 also and that is where the savings comes is is this shotgun isn`t from the big 3 but it looks like and I have heard from some that have bought these that are good bang for the buck and will get the job done very well indeed and especilly for thoes that maybe for right now would like to save some money but still want or need a good quality serviceable shotgun at a very fair price.
Now that doesn`t mean that someday someone buying one of thoes might still want to move on up to one of the big 3 later in life just like someone starting with a basic chevy when your first starting out and then maybe later on gettting a Cadallac samn basic principle. But like the basic Chevy nothing wrong with it samne thing for the CD shotgun nothing wrong with it it`s just made to be serviceable and get the job do`nt and if handled right and taken care of it will take care of you and help you get the job done.......
Anyways I hope this helps you and like i said earlier welcome to the shotgunworld message board Tactical shotgun forum. If you do buy one of these have fun and enjoy it and buy lots of ammunition and practice practice practice to be very proficient in it`s use and also handle it and any other firearms with the upmost care and respect for gun safety. Treat it and any and all other firearms as if they are always loaded wheather they are or are`nt just treat them if they are that will make sure you always enjoy them and have no accidents or getting hurt or killed. For like a wild pissed off grizzley mama bear with her cubs near by if treated with out respect you will wish you had ought not have do`ne that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome & the great information! You are correct, I would be going thru a FFL dealer, so I know the price will be a bit more, but still reasonable, I would think. No tax here (Oregon), but all the other fees apply to me. Again, thanks for the great info. I am usually a long arm rifle guy (own a 1917 Enfield No. 1 Mk III*, CETME, and a Marlin 22lr semi-auto) but none of those would fill the home defense position very well. Scare factor, yes, but efficient, well, if I want to hit my in home target, and the neighbors home, and so on...nope. I think a shotgun would fill that role nicely, and if I don't find anything for sale locally for around that price, I might go ahead and order one of those from SOG, and if I do, I'll let you all know what the results are. Thanks again!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Or.... for about $200 MSRP, you could get a Maverick. They're Mossberg's budget line. If Mr. Murphy comes a-calling and something on your shotgun breaks, I would think that parts would be much easier to get for a domestic shotgun. Just a thought. I'm not knocking the Turkish Charles Daly (I have no experience with them).
http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to know web site for SOG. I use to buy from them but no longer get catalogs from them and can't find it. Also, I have a sister that lost her husband which had a few guns, some commemortive. She lives in La. so I don't know whats she has and would like to know the best way for her to find out the value of them. How do you spell commemo, that word? THanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've seen the Hawk 870 clone going for as low as $139 at the local sporting goods places (Big 5, Gart, etc) and it takes most 870 parts/accessories. I have both a Hawk & Norinco 870 clone (absolutely identical except for the markings) and after several hundred rds of slugs, buck & heavy field loads the only problem encountered is the ghostring sights loosening from the heavy recoil (easy fix w/Loctite).
Tomac

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anonymous said:
I would like to know web site for SOG. I use to buy from them but no longer get catalogs from them and can't find it. Also, I have a sister that lost her husband which had a few guns, some commemortive. She lives in La. so I don't know whats she has and would like to know the best way for her to find out the value of them. How do you spell commemo, that word? THanks
It's Commemorative you were there just off by a letter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts