Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading Field and Trap Shooting by Charles Edward Chapel published in 1949 and 1962 by Barnes and Company Inc. N.Y.

He describes in Ch 20 shotgun games using a "Moskeeto" shotgun", which he describes (with diagrams) as either a bolt action or pump gun which use a ".22-long-rifle shot cartridge".

The game was invented by Fred J. Routledge. Moskeeto is or was manufactured by Routledge Manufacturing Company in Monroe Michigan and Targo is/was manufactured by O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. New Haven CT.

He says:

"Moskeeto and Targo are essentially shooting games for throwing and breaking clay targets on a reduced scale. Every feature of the program is small, including the gun, the ammunition, the trap, the noise, the recoil make these games popular"(page 242).

Space required apparently can be as small as 60 ft x 12 ft wide but for two people side by side shooting "at the same time" then need 75ft x 25ft"(page 245). He also mentions a back stop would be 25ft x 15ft high. For indoors, he says the back stop can be "a piece of canvas hung from a wooden frame"(page 245).

Sounds like fun. Does any one remember or still play this? Indoors or out?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I don't remember them from when they were new, but I've seen a few. There was one that attached directly to the gun.

I don't think you can even get targets anymore... See Ebay #110227328907 for some "vintage" ones. There are also a number of print ads for these on ebay now.

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Yeah, as I recall, Remington started with it, and Mossberg may have made a few smoothbore .22s as well. But I never knew anyone who had one or participated.

That was back in the '40s or '50s, if I remember right.

BobK

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
In the late 60's and early 70's I got to shoot some Moskeeto targets at a summer camp. It was a blast (hey, I was like 10 then).
I think it might make for an interesting game again if you could figure a way to keep the guns pointing down range.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
I saw, and shot them, the targets that is, at a black powder club just 4 or 5 years ago! I told them that they were throwing collectors items, but they didn't care! (Same size, or so close that they will work, as todays minis!)

Yes, I remember them well, reading about them when new that is. Couldn't afford standard targets or even many "practice" targets back in those years! "Practice" back then was two or three shots, at tin cans! Anymore was a "waste!"

(I had never seen a trap field. And had to "go to town" to see running water, flush toilets, or electricity!)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
O.K. now I'll give away my age.....I have a Rem.121 smooth bore and it's a hoot......no one can get any of those Mo Skee To
Targets any more but Up untill a few years back (maybe still) you could get a hand thrower for oneeda biscuits from Orvis....
But I use the gun for trap type shooting of those big flying grasshoppers in the summer....they probably aren't very good eating though...........Art

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
I am old, too! Each summer our family would visit my Uncle's home in Anderson, IN. As the adults played golf, my cousin and I would head to the local gun shop to shoot Mo-Skeet-O. $.05 a shot and both skeet and trap, Wow! It was great.

Imagine handing a .22 and a box of cartridges to a 9 year old kid today! We just went out behind the shop and shot away.

Mossberg, Remington, Winchester and others made .22 birdshot smooth bored guns on various rifle actions. I have a M61 Winchester smoothbore. I used to sit in the garage and ambush mice with it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The game I remember from Boy Scout camp being called Mo-Skeet was played with a smooth bore air rifle throwing shot and re-useable plastic birds that popped apart when hit.

Maybe the equipment changed but the name stuck at camp for the activity.

Regardless, it would be fun to shoot today. I was terrible as a 12 year old in 1969, but after tens of thousands of shotshells, have improved a bit!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yup.... I remember a Mossberg bolt-action .22 rimfire smoothbore with a trap mounted under the forearm that threw a target just about like today's mini.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
lizardbreath said:
O.K. now I'll give away my age.....I have a Rem.121 smooth bore and it's a hoot......no one can get any of those Mo Skee To
Targets any more but Up untill a few years back (maybe still) you could get a hand thrower for oneeda biscuits from Orvis....
But I use the gun for trap type shooting of those big flying grasshoppers in the summer....they probably aren't very good eating though...........Art
My life-long buddy and I fooled with the.22 birdshot games seems in the 50's??
It left enough impression I had the rifling reamed out of an old Mossberg bolt action that shot birdshot quit well in fact. Worked good by the spilled grain in the barn on mice if you were quiet and waited...
Today my old friend has a Remington 121 smooth bore.. He hunts pigeons and starlings at one feed lot that sometimes present shots 20 to 30 feet away! I have seen him kill feral pigeons with this 121 and the Remington load which has #10 shot in it..
Yep.... Mo-Skeet-O is gone.... But you can still have fun with the old guns and the still available shells! :lol: :lol:

Slidehammer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the replies. Can someone explain what is ".22 long rifle shot". Is it a .22 size cartridge with pellets? Would have to be very tiny pellets! Is this ammo still in production to shoot from vintage guns?

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Most LARGE gun stores have 'em!

Yeah, they are still made! But DON'T use 'em regularly in a rifled barrel or you will really gunk up the rifling with lead! They pattern LOUSY out of a rifled barrel for obvious reasons.

BobK

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
drsfmd said:
Slidehammer-- did you buy those recently? I haven't seen those shells in some time... just the CCI ones shown above.
drsfmd,

Yes, last year... Matter of fact these are a quite new load and new packaging as well... The number 10 shot is new as well as Remington was loading #12 shot before.

Slidehammer

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
mossy made the targo game(others tried before but not on the level that mossy did with the accories and equipment) in 1939/40 or so to help shooters still shoot clays while the war was still going on and shortages were iminent. while they did jump the marketing before america went into war and though it was a sound idea, it didnt work too well. the most known was a 42tr, that was a model 42 smooth bore with external threads for either a rifled choke for bullets or a "targo tube" for the 12 dust shot.these had rifle sights. here is a pic of a proto type 42 t (targo tube only ) that i picked up and love it to death... funny enough its a true .22 shotgun in the sence of smooth bore, and choke tube. this is 1 of 906 made.

years later they tried to reinvent the game again but as before it was hard to hit the lil mo-skeet-o's and by that time there were no shortages of shells. this was thru the 60's

here is a link to some nice targo info
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/targo.htm

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.