Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the chance to shoot the new Beretta Ultima yet?

if you have, let us know your thoughts…good gun…bad gun…cycles light loads…any quirks…likes or dislikes?

·
Registered
167 Posts
My LGS had some 12g but I want a 20g when he gets one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As replacements for my son's Field Sport V3s which I sold...I picked up a couple A300 12ga Ultimas a few weeks ago. These are the 1st Beretta shotguns I've owned. In comparison to the Field Sport V3...the Ultima is more refined, and a bigger bang for the buck at that price point IMO.

The only negative I can think of with the Ultima out of the box is the barrel on both guns fit their receivers really tight...not quite Super-X 1 tight, but tight nonetheless. Some anti-seize on the bbl extension made insertion / removal somewhat easier. The bbl fit issue is a non-issue for me as I ordered up a couple 24" A300 bbls to go on these shotguns b/c the bulk of our bird hunting is pheasant / upland / walking and I'm partial to lighter guns with shorter bbls for that type of hunting. For whatever reason, the replacement barrels are not nearly as tight in the receiver and did not require any anti-seize.

Besides swapping to shorter 24" barrels...I also removed the Kick-Off and replaced that system with a conventional recoil pad. Thankfully, the Ultima comes with a fixed insert which replaces (very easily) the Kick-Off system, so I made that swap and added a Precision Fit Limb Saver 10817...fits like factory and I like this setup much better than the Kick-Off.

With those two changes...the Ultimas are now setup as 7ib 3oz fast-handling upland guns.

I had some time to kill today, so I took them to the range for function testing with a variety of heavy pheasant loads and a couple different target loads...all 2 3/4". Along with the (2) Berettas, I also took my Versa Max (VM) as it's the softest shooting 12ga I've ever owned and wanted to shoot it side by side for a recoil comparison.

Function with all the heavy pheasant loads was 100% for all (3)
Function with 1 1/8oz Remington Gun Clubs was 100% for all (3)
Function with 1oz Remington Game Loads was 100% for all (3)

With the heavy pheasant loads...the recoil of the Berettas was enough to notice in comparison to the VM. If I had to try to apply a %...I'd say my perceived recoil with the Berettas was ~5% stiffer than the VM. Not harsh by any stretch, but just enough to notice. With the target loads...I really couldn't discern any difference in my felt recoil between them.

In sum...I was very pleased with the performance of the Ultimas.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As replacements for my son's Field Sport V3s which I sold...I picked up a couple A300 12ga Ultimas a few weeks ago. These are the 1st Beretta shotguns I've owned. In comparison to the Field Sport V3...the Ultima is more refined, and a bigger bang for the buck at that price point IMO.

The only negative I can think of with the Ultima out of the box is the barrel on both guns fit their receivers really tight...not quite Super-X 1 tight, but tight nonetheless. Some anti-seize on the bbl extension made insertion / removal somewhat easier. The bbl fit issue is a non-issue for me as I ordered up a couple 24" A300 bbls to go on these shotguns b/c the bulk of our bird hunting is pheasant / upland / walking and I'm partial to lighter guns with shorter bbls for that type of hunting. For whatever reason, the replacement barrels are not nearly as tight in the receiver and did not require any anti-seize.

Besides swapping to shorter 24" barrels...I also removed the Kick-Off and replaced that system with a conventional recoil pad. Thankfully, the Ultima comes with a fixed insert which replaces (very easily) the Kick-Off system, so I made that swap and added a Precision Fit Limb Saver 10817...fits like factory and I like this setup much better than the Kick-Off.

With those two changes...the Ultimas are now setup as 7ib 3oz fast-handling upland guns.

I had some time to kill today, so I took them to the range for function testing with a variety of heavy pheasant loads and a couple different target loads...all 2 3/4". Along with the (2) Berettas, I also took my Versa Max (VM) as it's the softest shooting 12ga I've ever owned and wanted to shoot it side by side for a recoil comparison.

With the heavy pheasant loads...the recoil of the Berettas was enough to notice in comparison to the VM. If I had to try to apply a %...I'd say my perceived recoil with the Berettas was ~5% stiffer than the VM. Not harsh by any stretch, but just enough to notice. With the target loads...I really couldn't discern any difference in my felt recoil between them.

I’m glad you were able to “make the guns your own”…and thanks for the insight into which recoil pad fits if I want to forego the kickoff system on the Ultima.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger on an Ultima in 20 gauge…picked it up from Cabela’s this a.m. and cleaned all the packing grease off of it in time to hit the range for some skeet…found out the gun shoots where I look with the factory spacers…100 shells through the Briley X2 skeet choke proved the gun is very reliable too. Can’t wait to break her in on some dove and early September teal…

·
Registered
17 Posts

Any interest in selling one of the kick off units? Wondering if I could make it work in a cut down a300 wood stock for my wife and I’d give it a shot if I could pick one up cheap.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Forgive my ignorance is the stock articulated in the middle, is that part of the kick-off recoil system?
Sounds like the kick-off is easily removed and replaced with a pad? I dont want it 20 gauge.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Forgive my ignorance is the stock articulated in the middle, is that part of the kick-off recoil system? Sounds like the kick-off is easily removed and replaced with a pad? I dont want it 20 gauge.
The A300 Ultima Kick-Off unit inserts and is removed from the rear...not like the current A400 models. Beretta provides a "fixed" unit to replace the "springed" Kick-Off unit if so desired. You need only remove the thin butt pad and then a deep well 11mm socket to remove the Kick-Off unit and replace with the provided fixed insert...which is what I did on the (2) 12ga Ultimas I purchased. Rather than reinstall the thin butt pad + spacers...I went with the Precision Fit Limb Saver model # 10817.

HTH

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The stock on the A300 Ultima is not articulated in the middle…what you are looking at is merely a cosmetic styling on the stock…the kickoff is internal to the stock with the pistons moving at the rear of the stock only.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The comb is a molded in style and it’s a different type of plastic than what makes up the rest of the stock…it’s not exactly soft (like a Cheek-eez comb pad) and it’s not as hard as the remainder of the plastic stock…kind of somewhere in between…honestly, I don’t think the Ultima comb brings any advantage to the equation of mitigating felt recoil or cheek slap…it’s as if beretta took a swing, but missed the ball. Now, an area that beretta could really improve upon is their standard hard rubber recoil pad…they could really do well if they were to adopt the Kick-Eez recoil pad…that would be a huge improvement over what they use currently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had the chance to shoot the new Beretta Ultima yet?

if you have, let us know your thoughts…good gun…bad gun…cycles light loads…any quirks…likes or dislikes?
yup. its ***. wont cycle any target loads. and the rod in the butt of the gun slipped out of place and locked the bolt closed.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yup. its ***. wont cycle any target loads. and the rod in the butt of the gun slipped out of place and locked the bolt closed.
Sorry…but it sounds like you got the lemon gun…it happens…

Now, every other owner of the Ultima that I’ve spoken with has a good one…including me.

only remaining question is what will you do with your lemon…

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not my experience, but that sucks. It's a PIA for sure...but send it back to Beretta and have them make it right.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts