Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 20 gauge Ultima cycled light loads great out of the box. I had to remove the kickoff to shorten the lop for my gf. I’d like to get an aftermarket pad that isn’t much thicker than the factory pad to help with felt recoil, but won’t make the LOP too long for her.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My 20 gauge Ultima cycled light loads great out of the box. I had to remove the kickoff to shorten the lop for my gf. I’d like to get an aftermarket pad that isn’t much thicker than the factory pad to help with felt recoil, but won’t make the LOP too long for her.
Rather than reinstall the thin butt pad + spacers...I went with the Precision Fit Limb Saver model # 10817.
Maybe you can get lucky and find a thin precision-fit pad from a company which offers it. The Limb Saver #10817 I installed fit up perfectly and yielded a measured 13 3/4" LOP on my 12ga Ultimas.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Maybe you can get lucky and find a thin precision-fit pad from a company which offers it. The Limb Saver #10817 I installed fit up perfectly and yielded a measured 13 3/4" LOP on my 12ga Ultimas.
That will likely make it a bit too long for her. She is 5’1”. I don’t think she can comfortably shoot it with a LOP longer than 13.25”. Thank you for your response. I have been considering getting a kickoff for my A300 Xtrema. I am letting my hunting partner borrow it this season, and he likes to shoot 3.5” loads for some reason. He’s got long arms like me, so he can comfortably shoot a gun with a 14.25” LOP. I may go with the 1/2” spacer and the precision fit limbsaver instead. It will be a lot less expensive

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
That will likely make it a bit too long for her. She is 5’1”. I don’t think she can comfortably shoot it with a LOP longer than 13.25”. Thank you for your response. I have been considering getting a kickoff for my A300 Xtrema. I am letting my hunting partner borrow it this season, and he likes to shoot 3.5” loads for some reason. He’s got long arms like me, so he can comfortably shoot a gun with a 14.25” LOP. I may go with the 1/2” spacer and the precision fit limbsaver instead. It will be a lot less expensive
Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. FWIW, am I the only person on the planet that thinks the extended black rubber showing on any gun with a KO looks like home-made crap?

I know, I know that Dr. Duk and others will tell me how much it works to dampen recoil to the level of a pellet rifle and I am not going to debate that aspect. However, the aesthetics are a real turn-off for me.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. FWIW, am I the only person on the planet that thinks the extended black rubber showing on any gun with a KO looks like home-made crap?

I know, I know that Dr. Duk and others will tell me how much it works to dampen recoil to the level of a pellet rifle and I am not going to debate that aspect. However, the aesthetics are a real turn-off for me.
You only notice the aesthetics when the gun is off your shoulder...not when you are shooting it...(kind of like the color of a car...you don't notice the color you are driving once you are behind the wheel)!

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
You only notice the aesthetics when the gun is off your shoulder...not when you are shooting it...(kind of like the color of a car...you don't notice the color you are driving once you are behind the wheel)!
Probably right and I am not here on this particular forum to bash anything Beretta. Carry on.

·
Registered
367 Posts

I’ve put a lot of rounds through an A400 and I’ve tried my A300 Ultima with and without the kickoff. The kickoff definitely dampens the recoil significantly. It really doesn’t matter much, unless heavy loads are being put through it though. If I could get a kickoff for my Xtrema at a reasonable price, I’d get one. I think a limbsaver, or a falcon strike will be a more cost effective alternative.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger on an Ultima in 20 gauge…picked it up from Cabela’s this a.m. and cleaned all the packing grease off of it in time to hit the range for some skeet…found out the gun shoots where I look with the factory spacers…100 shells through the Briley X2 skeet choke proved the gun is very reliable too. Can’t wait to break her in on some dove and early September teal… View attachment 35096
I View attachment 39460

I just got my stock back from the hydro dip guy. Looks great. I shoot this gun pretty well

Both look very nice. Hydro dip came out great.
I have a normal A300 and want to add the Ultima eventually. They came out a little while after I got my A300 and I was ugghhh, why not sooner, lol.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Both look very nice. Hydro dip came out great.
I have a normal A300 and want to add the Ultima eventually. They came out a little while after I got my A300 and I was ugghhh, why not sooner, lol.
The Outlander is a great autoloader. Add a Briley bolt release and bolt handle to it, and an aftermarket recoil pad to it and you e got most of the best features of the Ultima. I added a bolt handle and release to my daughter’s outlander and she wouldn’t trade it for any gun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get an Ultima in 20 gauge and you’ll have a nice set of shotguns. The 20 bore is often all you need and is a lot of fun.

The Outlander is a great autoloader. Add a Briley bolt release and bolt handle to it, and an aftermarket recoil pad to it and you e got most of the best features of the Ultima. I added a bolt handle and release to my daughter’s outlander and she wouldn’t trade it for any gun.
Both great ideas. I've been thinking about upgrading the A300 a little.

The 20 sounds like a good idea, and a good gun to let my young son use and maybe a nice gift for him one day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Besides swapping to shorter 24" barrels...I also removed the Kick-Off and replaced that system with a conventional recoil pad. Thankfully, the Ultima comes with a fixed insert which replaces (very easily) the Kick-Off system, so I made that swap and added a Precision Fit Limb Saver 10817...fits like factory and I like this setup much better than the Kick-Off.
I read through these posts, and I'm wondering what the benefits are to removing the Kick-Off system? Is it just the look of it? I would think that the recoil reduction would outweigh the appearance.
I have a friend that's considering a A300 Ultima for skeet doubles.

Reactions: cleboje

·
Registered
367 Posts
I read through these posts, and I'm wondering what the benefits are to removing the Kick-Off system? Is it just the look of it? I would think that the recoil reduction would outweigh the appearance.
I removed the kickoff on mine to shorten the LOP for my girlfriend. Some feel as though the kickoff is gimmicky, and others don’t like the way the cheek piece slaps their face with the kickoff on. The stock does move more than the shooter does during recoil due to the kickoff, so I can see where some may experience cheek slap.

I can tell the difference in recoil with the kickoff, but my Ultima is a 20 gauge, so there isn’t much felt recoil anyway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Since you quoted my post...my preference is a shorter LOP (and shorter bbls) as my hunting is primarily upland / flushing birds. With the Kick-Off in place, you can't go shorter than 14.25" LOP. Without the Kick-Off, it's much easier to "dial-in" the exact LOP you want.

My opinion only...but to me, the Kick-Off (on the Ultima) looks like it's "tacked-on" and just doesn't fit my eye. With the Limb Savers in place, my 12ga Ultimas shoot plenty soft. So while I may be enduring a few extra percentage points of recoil without it...for me the recoil reduction is not enough to overcome the down-sides as I see them.

Oh yeah...I sold both take-off Kick-Off units for $175ea...making the great deal I got on these great guns even better!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I tried my Ultima 20 gauge with and without kickoff along with the same kickeez recoil pad just to see which one I preferred…guess what…the kickoff was far softer with much less felt recoil. So it really boils down to personal preference…and I prefer less recoil…!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts