Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For those who haven't read my other post, I plan on buying my first shotgun next month. It'll mainly be a defense gun, but a friend of mine invited me to go on my first hunting trip. We'll be hunting for deer in a pretty wooded area. So the range would be no more than 30 or 40 yards at worst. I was wondering if a shotgun with an 18.5 inch barrel with a bead sight would be OK to use with either buckshot or slugs. Keep in mind also that I'm a new hunter, so I'm not going to push my luck shooting further than 30 yards with a slug. Not even if I manage to see a deer at a longer range as I do want to make sure that I get a good hit.

Thanks for your ideas:)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The only thing that's a handicap is the bead sight... windage is not too bad, but elevation can be a might iffy. If you confine yourself to 40 yards or less, that shouldn't be too great a problem. If you can swing it, a 26" or 28" barrel with choke tubes would be a little better - and it would be a LOT better for breaking clay birds, or shooting the feathered variety.

Then, of course, you'd need a wheelgun for defense... a 4" GP-100 in .357 Mag maybe???

·
Registered
66 Posts
It sould be ok for slugs. If you can shoot your gun prior to your hunting trip, then that would be better. Don't use the sabot slugs in the smoothbore gun. Those are for rifled barrels. Use rifled slugs instead.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Take yourself to the nearest full line sporting goods store and pickup a set of stick-on turkey sights. Another option is to buy a shotgun with rifle sights.

If you buy a Mossberg (new and for several years back) they come drilled and tapped for a scope. Buy a set of rings and a bargain 1.5x, 2.5x, or 3x fixed powered shotgun scope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts