4,976 Posts
RMc said:
TUWSBL2024 Slit

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart ... &i=SBL2024

CSD-20 Unslit

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/CSD-20 ... o/0207020/

STEEL 24 CAL. 20 H. 6
http://www.baschieri-pellagri.com/en/bo ... index.aspx

These appear to be the exact same product. If so, there is a choice on the domestic market between the pre-slit Precision Reloading product and the non-slit Ballistic Product item.

Can any here confirm this.
They are indeed the same wad, and it is a very good one. You will be limited to around 3/4oz steel shot depending on the shot size you use.

As for slitting, I prefer to slit my own and vary the number and depth of cuts to tune the load, and yes, it makes a difference. Pre-slit wads are convenient and the four-petal cut is proven to work most of the time with little fuss. It come down to convenience vs. customization.

I can send you the Ballistic Products Tech Sheet on wad slitting, plus all the published data I have (ther'e not much) for the wad. Just PM with your email address if you want to see it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I really like those B&P wads but I wish they had several sizes for 20 gauge just like they do for 12 gauge... That CSd 20 is very limiting in payload for the 20 gauge for steel. I've been using pt 2092 and RSI Sam 1 wad for 20 gauge and you can fit a ounce in the Sam and 420 grains in the Pt wad.
I want number 3 shot for 20 gauge to give me range to 40 yards for mallards and three quarter ounce just doesn't give me the pellets for pattern that I want. number four shot over decoys at 30 yards or less with three quarter ounce in CSD wad would do it but I don't like a load that limited... too many 35-40 yd shots for me to accept the low penetration of #4. This is whats keeping 1000 of those csd20s i bought sitting in a box for now...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PT2092 and other PT series wads have been discontinued by Ballistic Products.

Dave in AZ said:
I really like those B&P wads but I wish they had several sizes for 20 gauge just like they do for 12 gauge... That CSd 20 is very limiting in payload for the 20 gauge for steel. I've been using pt 2092 and RSI Sam 1 wad for 20 gauge and you can fit a ounce in the Sam and 420 grains in the Pt wad.
I want number 3 shot for 20 gauge to give me range to 40 yards for mallards and three quarter ounce just doesn't give me the pellets for pattern that I want. number four shot over decoys at 30 yards or less with three quarter ounce in CSD wad would do it but I don't like a load that limited... too many 35-40 yd shots for me to accept the low penetration of #4. This is whats keeping 1000 of those csd20s i bought sitting in a box for now...

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
RMc said:
The PT2092 and other PT series wads have been discontinued by Ballistic Products.

Yes, sad to say, and there is really nothing to replace them other than what Dave in AZ mentioned.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dave in AZ said:
I hope that I am asking a question relevant to the thread. You state the use of RSI Sam 1 wad load at 1oz. Do you, in your experience realize the performance desired at 40yds. using RSI steel recipes? I have no experience with anything reloaded in that load weight/range.Ihope to pursue loads of that nature and with the PT wad gone as an alternative load, data is very limited to my knowledge. Any feedback much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
number1wrench, the RSI data for the SAM1 20ga wad is not sufficient for me... their max load given is 400gr, and RSI #116 and #117 are the best two loads I see, and they only go 1350 fps, too slow for me. However, in private discussion with Jon at RSI the possibility of both slightly heavier loads and slightly faster loads using the wad was covered if I was willing to do some testing.

Since then, another reloader actually was working on "max load 20ga steel" himself, and worked up a TRUE 1oz 437.5gr load (not the 420gr commercial guys call 1oz like HeviMetal and Fed Black Cloud if you dissect and weigh...), that goes 1485 fps with 11542 avg psi. Testing done by Precision Reloading. This is by far the best 20ga steel load I know of-- heavier than commercial loads and faster. You can search duckhuntingchat.com for member "dla" to read his results. That is the 20ga steel load that I'm using for RSI wads.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dave in AZ said:
number1wrench, the RSI data for the SAM1 20ga wad is not sufficient for me... their max load given is 400gr, and RSI #116 and #117 are the best two loads I see, and they only go 1350 fps, too slow for me. However, in private discussion with Jon at RSI the possibility of both slightly heavier loads and slightly faster loads using the wad was covered if I was willing to do some testing.

Since then, another reloader actually was working on "max load 20ga steel" himself, and worked up a TRUE 1oz 437.5gr load (not the 420gr commercial guys call 1oz like HeviMetal and Fed Black Cloud if you dissect and weigh...), that goes 1485 fps with 11542 avg psi. Testing done by Precision Reloading. This is by far the best 20ga steel load I know of-- heavier than commercial loads and faster. You can search duckhuntingchat.com for member "dla" to read his results. That is the 20ga steel load that I'm using for RSI wads.
Thank you for responding. My sentiments exactly on RSI Steel recipes. I will pursue that load ,I feel 20ga. 1 oz. would be more effective on pheasant. I hunt South Dakota and non-tox is required on State managed land.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Talked to BPI today and they will have the PT2092 back in stock mid april. Bass Pro in leeds alabama has a bunch of lilgun

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
A link from another site got me back to this old post.
In 2016 I said I wished there was a larger size for this wad, the CSD20 or TUWSBL2024.
Just as a follow up, now there is in fact a larger 3" version of the wad, BPI imports it and sells it as the CSD203, precision has it but not sure what it is, 2028? Maybe. Anyways, it's the B&P 20ga steel wad that is longer than 24mm shot cup. Made for 1oz 20ga loads. There are a few published loads for it at 426gr shot, like 4. Not much really in 2 years.

However, there are also several other new 3" 20ga steel shot wads now:
Fiocchi has one
Gualandi has one that BPI sells as the TPS20, but it is actually similar to their LBC series in 12ga as that is the Gualandi ridged series that this 20ga matches.
Little or no steel shot 1oz load data for any of them, but handloaders who can send in a pressure test can work something decent out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
from another site got me back to this old post.
In 2016 I said I wished there was a larger size for this wad, the CSD20 or TUWSBL2024.
Just as a follow up, now there is in fact a larger 3" version of the wad, BPI imports it and sells it as the CSD203, precision has it but not sure what it is, 2028? Maybe. Anyways, it's the B&P 20ga steel wad that is longer than 24mm shot cup. Made for 1oz 20ga loads. There are a few published loads for it at 426gr shot, like 4. Not much really in 2 years.

However, there are also several other new 3" 20ga steel shot wads now:
Fiocchi has one
Gualandi has one that BPI sells as the TPS20, but it is actually similar to their LBC series in 12ga as that is the Gualandi ridged series that this 20ga matches.
Little or no steel shot 1oz load data for any of them, but handloaders who can send in a pressure test can work something decent out.
Thank you for the update. Just realized the new post add.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 3" version at Precision Reloading:

TUWSBL2028
B&P 20 Gauge International Supersonic Steel Shot Wads 1 oz.
These wads are Pre-Slit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts