Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
I've taken many deer with my smooth bore and IC choke out to 60 yards, no problem. When I installed a rifled choke tube I was able to shoot 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards, more than sufficient for hunting within 100yrds. Since I'm planning to hunt with an outfitter this year in Ohio, I wanted something a little better, so I bought the H&R 20ga.

· Registered
89 Posts
If you really want to shoot 150yrds and beyond and you can't use a rifle, get yourself a muzzleloader or preferably a smokeless savage 10ML-II. I would have purchased the savage if smokeless powder was legal in NJ. I will be hunting private land in NJ this year but who knows about next year. NJ SUCKS BIG TIME with its rules and regs.

· Registered
89 Posts
If you really want to shoot 150yrds and beyond and you can't use a rifle, get yourself a muzzleloader or preferably a smokeless savage 10ML-II. I would have purchased the savage if smokeless powder was legal in NJ. I will be hunting private land in NJ this year but who knows about next year. NJ SUCKS BIG TIME with its rules and regs.

· Registered
89 Posts
I don't hear anyone saying smoothies are obsolete, but they are definitely not as accurate as a rifled barrel with sabots. The experience of the shooter obviously comes into play here.

The biggest advantage of the sabot, at least IMO, exist in the 20 ga. A 20g sabot now has enough down range energy to drop deer out to 150yards, and with less recoil than a 12. This to me is the only reason I bought the rifled slug gun.

That thread you referenced doesn't mean anything to me. You can give 5 people the most accurate rifle in the world shooting from the most expensive and fancy rests and each one of them will have different results. To tell you the truth, I would be much more impressed to see someone drop a deer in its tracks at 200-250 yards with a centerfire rifle shooting from a free standing position than any bench shooter shooting 5 shots in one hole at 100 yards.

· Registered
89 Posts
JC, why do you waste your time with this guy?? I seriously doubt that a rifled slug gun owner, who currently spends big money on sabots, would continue to spend big bucks if there wasn't a dramatic improvement in accuracy. The market demand for rifled guns and sabots kinda sums up the whole debate in favor of sabots.

JC, if you get a chance, check out the thread on Lightfields vs Hastings on deer.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.