Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the September issue of CTN there's an article where the following can be found 'The demand for standardized competition (with prize packages to match) made the "following pair" extinct, while target and target throwing technology evolved to serve the whims of the most creative course planners.

Hoping to understand why the following pair is now extinct. The guys I shoot with recreationally pull them all the time to make a true pair a bit visible in practice. Was it dscontinued as the timing is up to the person pushing the button? Has the following pair been removed from the NSCA rules?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have seen "simo" or true target pairs that replicate following pairs, e.g. 1 trap is set 10 or more yards behind the other and the effect is similar to a following pair, especially when thrown from behind over the head, it looks like 2 ducks or dove. So a target setter can replicate a close following pair, but it would be a true pair.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The biggest problem is most people don't know how to throw a following pair.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Following pairs originated in the day of the manual trap......I like them, but they seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird.

·
Registered
Cynergy - Euro Sporting and CX
704 Posts
I have only been shooting four years or so and some registered, but I thought a following pair was just one after the other from a single machine. Clarification would be welcome.

Jim

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My home club brows them from time to time. We use a specific machine with its own single button controler and just hold the button down until machine cycles and pitches the second target

Have also seen the two machine approach with a delay on one to simulate the single machine following pair.

·
Registered
771 Posts
We shoot a local course with a lot of manual traps. Two birds off the same arm many of the stations . Great targets, hard for a big commercial operation to throw.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We throw them quite frequently at our club; two traps with an electronic delay box between them and a single pull cord. Press the button and trap 1 fires and then on a fixed delay, trap 2 fires.

·
Registered
326 Posts
jrmev said:
I have only been shooting four years or so and some registered, but I thought a following pair was just one after the other from a single machine. Clarification would be welcome.

Jim
Per the NSCA rulebook:

Following Pair-Two sequential targets where the second target is launched at the official's discretion after the first target. Targets may be launched from one or more traps.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Not to be confused with a Rafael pair which is thrown in FITASC events fairly often. One machine throwing two targets by holding down the release until the second target appears. A very good pair in many cases.

Demi

·
Registered
418 Posts
A following pair is scored like a true pair. Break the first target and get a 'no bird' second target and nothing is established...pair over. The shooter is put in a position that the others in his squad or tournament may not be put into. He/she has to shoot 101 targets instead of 100. Why throw a presentation that in most cases is basically no different than a report pair but has the disadvantage of being scored as a true pair?

If for some unusual reason nothing but a following pair off a hand set trap will scratch the tournament setters itch, have one person throw the targets that day. If that is not possible get a couple trappers with the same cadence. An experienced trapper can really get the second target off quickly. A quick trapper in the morning and a slow one in the afternoon on a 4 pair station could really skew the scores, particularly in the lower classes.

To answer the OP's question....no. The game is evolving and growing. That's what makes it so wonderful.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
smoke ball, The subject here is the title of the article in CTN. I asked two questions in my original post. Which does your 'no' apply to? Thanks!

·
Registered
418 Posts
JS, I responded to all three questions. I read the article awhile back but I can't say I remembered the title. The 'no' is specific to the title. The other comments refer to why the following pair is/should be basically extinct in tournaments. That and the reality that a hand set is rare in a tournament as is one automatic machine at a station. As I said, the game is evolving. Yes, I've seen some interesting targets out of a handset and still do at some small clubs, but not at a tournament in quite awhile.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Obviously my understanding of following pairs is flawed. I was under the impression its simply a timing of when the second bird is thrown. If there's just one trap, a bit of an unusual situation, then the timing is limited by the the machine's ability to cycle. Two traps removes that limitstion but now the puller gets involved and that brings inconsistencies. The use of manual traps has also been mentioned. I can't figure out how that comes into play.

PS: I don't think targets are getting too difficult.

·
Banned
13,905 Posts
The following pair was DC'ed for three reasons: 1. when off the same machine , that machine had to be loaded twice as often 2. when done w/ electronics , that added costs for the club and 3. it was a boring shot

·
Banned
13,905 Posts
Yes --targets are harder and that's a good thing. It's no fun to shoot fluff targets.

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
Agree with Sera; if I want cupcakes, I'll shoot skeet, or go shoot the easy SC layout at the club.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Folks all say they want "tough" targets. But when they shoot a course that is challenging (and I don't mean fast windows and super long targets, just well timed, "technical" targets, that demand you read the line and break point) they whine like you can't believe.

There is a reason the targets around here (my state) for a monthly shoot are set on the "SOFT" side of the tracks.

And looking at results (where there are 90's throughout most of Master and AA, and c and d class, shooting very high scores) softer targets are more the norm than stiff.

When these same folks go to a Major (Open, Northbrook, or regional) most (not all) are ill prepared to really shot "tough" targets.

I prefer challenging targets for tournaments!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts