Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Curious by how much if someone has one laying around?
The reason I am asking is that I installed a 30 inch "Trap" barrel on my Field Model X One and it feels a little barrel heavy. If I know the weight difference I will add some weight to the butt stock. My guess is those boys at the Winchester Custom Shop had it well calculated.
If someone has a trap model, maybe they can tell me where the balance point is, and I can adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My “seat if the pants” answer is, I would expect a trap stock to be heavier than a field stock for two reasons.

Trap stocks have more wood - montecarlo.
Trap stocks often have more figure and usually heavier figured stocks weigh more.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Is the trap barrel longer than what you have previously used? Obviously, that could be enough to change the balance noticeably for you. Once you get it weighted properly, as you know, you've got an American Classic, with accompanying history to enjoy on the trap field.

Are you thinking of finding a trap stock instead of what you now have, or do you prefer your current stock? Either way, good luck. Those trap barrels are awesome from what I've heard.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses.
Yes I purchased and installed a used, true factory Trap barrel. I plan to use this just for Trap shooting so may buy a used Trap butt stock. Thanks for the link Curly. Concerning the factory trap barrel, when I did my part it was smoking targets. While being a pretty good game shooter I had not shot trap in a dozen years. I shot two 21 rounds and was happy and know there is room for improvement with gun and shooter tuning. Yes, I love my American classic I bought new in 1974.
I got my Super X out and the balance point is just slightly forward of what I think it should be. This may be due to my Field model stock being lighter than a factory Trap one. I do not think it is far off. I will add a little pencil lead in the stock and shoot his weekend.
By the way the pencil lead I am referring to is real lead, 3/16 diameter, and comes in rolls. It is used by Steelhead fishermen for drifting bait. Handy stuff.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
trap guns have rubber pads too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts