Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve been loading for many years and always try to follow powder manufacturers recipes but in these times of getting what you can find for components how can you tell if your shells are approaching max pressure short of sending loads off to be tested?
Need help finding recipes? Perhaps we can help you with that. What components do you have?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m running Winchester AA 20ga hulls cci209m primers 16 grains of unique, CB1078-20 wad and 7/8 oz of shot. My only substitution will be cci 209m’s for win 209’s. What do y’all think?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
At the published pressure, I wouldn't make that sub. I'd likely back off a half or one grain, and have them tested.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I did email Alliant with the recipe to see what they say about it. Maybe they can suggest a good load with the same components.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If it is not published you need to ask yourself "Why not?" Probably because it isn't safe. Lots of questions as of late showing up on forums about using a powder not designed for the gauge someone might me wanting to load.

To add to this, just because it is listed doesn't mean it will work well or even be economical.

·
Super Moderator
7,621 Posts
What am I missing??
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

I’m running Winchester AA 20ga hulls cci209m primers 16 grains of unique, CB1078-20 wad and 7/8 oz of shot. My only substitution will be cci 209m’s for win 209’s. What do y’all think?
Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Here’s alliant’s response…..

We have two loads that are utilizing the Winchester 209 primers and your components. But, the pressures are much too high for a primer swap to your CCI209M primer. The pressures for these two loads are in excess of 10,000 PSI.
I took a look at the Lyman data and the same is true, there is no data for the use of the CCI209M primers.
Without tested load data to match you components, we cannot make a load recommendation.
Here is the rule of thumb when it comes to a primer swap in shotshells. This is based upon two independent studies where when just the primer was changed, a swing in pressure was noted by as much as 2500 PSI. This was found in not one, but both studies done.
So, if pressures fall between 6500 – 8500 PSI, a primer swap can be done. But, if the pressures fall outside of this window, stick to the tested load recipe.
Thanks,
Duane V. /Technical Service Representative
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
866-286-7436

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Tex...

How about loading 3/4 oz of shot with the primer swap. You'd have to add a card wad in the shot cup, or a cheerio, to make up stack height due to the 3/4 oz wad called out, but it would work if you think you can live with a bit less shot.

3/41,200Win 209UniqueCB 1075-2015.48,200

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I was thinking that exact thing, I might give it a whirl. Is that load with AA hulls?I would just use the herco loads but with all the shortages I’d like to use everything on hand if possible. The herco is going to be reserved for hunting shells. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I was thinking that exact thing, I might give it a whirl. Is that load with AA hulls?I would just use the herco loads but with all the shortages I’d like to use everything on hand if possible. The herco is going to be reserved for hunting shells. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.
Yes, AAHS hulls.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts