Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - does anyone know how to remove the sidelocks on a round-body Arrieta 578?

I've been able to remove the screw near the top-rear part of the place that goes all the way through and holds the 2 plates together, but my sideplates won't budge and I am afraid to push too hard. Wondering if anyone has experience with this and knows if additional screws need to be removed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
First MAKE SURE THE GUN IS COCKED it's a ***** getting them back if it isn't.

Make certain there isn't a second screw nearer the breech.

If the screw(s) are all out, then whap the stock (remove barrels) against something firm but soft and yielding - like a layer of towels on a workbench, or a cork slab. The sidelocks should begin to budge. NEVER PRY THEM

I always work up a nervous sweat taking sidelocks off, but just don't pry them and make sure the gun is cocked.

When you put them back, make sure they are fitted all the way in before you screw them

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pumpster said:
First MAKE SURE THE GUN IS COCKED it's a ***** getting them back if it isn't.

Make certain there isn't a second screw nearer the breech.

If the screw(s) are all out, then whap the stock (remove barrels) against something firm but soft and yielding - like a layer of towels on a workbench, or a cork slab. The sidelocks should begin to budge. NEVER PRY THEM

I always work up a nervous sweat taking sidelocks off, but just don't pry them and make sure the gun is cocked.

When you put them back, make sure they are fitted all the way in before you screw them
Pumpster, appreciate the advice, they are NOT cocked right now, but I will try that. Also, there are screws on each side near the breech, but they are on both sides with slots in them on both sides, so my guess is that they hold some part of the lock to the plates, but please let me know if my assumption is incorrect. I will try gently after cocking them, and will certainly not pry.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
custom60 said:
Pumpster said:
Pumpster, appreciate the advice, they are NOT cocked right now, but I will try that. Also, there are screws on each side near the breech, but they are on both sides with slots in them on both sides, so my guess is that they hold some part of the lock to the plates, but please let me know if my assumption is incorrect. I will try gently after cocking them, and will certainly not pry.

Thanks!
Yeah, them's the ones - or twos! Gotta take them out - one on each side. Many sidelocks that are not "field openable" (i.e. have a little hand lever on the main screw) have that pesky second screw.

Once you get that out the locks should come out with a good solid "whack"

But again, MAKE CERTAIN THE GUN IS COCKED BEFORE YOU REMOVE LOCKS!!!!

Good thing they didn't come out whilst uncocked!

By the way, I like to open guns on a workbench covered by those large, absorbent towels that have one side plastic - they are found in drugstores in the 'incontinence' dep't. Usually blue. That way nothing gets scratched, nothing gets lost (stuff doesn't roll or bounce on these) and any oil gets absorbed. They provide a good surface to whack the locks off - no damage if they pop out!

Good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pumpster said:
custom60 said:
Pumpster said:

Thanks!
Yeah, them's the ones - or twos! Gotta take them out - one on each side. Many sidelocks that are not "field openable" (i.e. have a little hand lever on the main screw) have that pesky second screw.

Once you get that out the locks should come out with a good solid "whack"

But again, MAKE CERTAIN THE GUN IS COCKED BEFORE YOU REMOVE LOCKS!!!!

Good thing they didn't come out whilst uncocked!

By the way, I like to open guns on a workbench covered by those large, absorbent towels that have one side plastic - they are found in drugstores in the 'incontinence' dep't. Usually blue. That way nothing gets scratched, nothing gets lost (stuff doesn't roll or bounce on these) and any oil gets absorbed. They provide a good surface to whack the locks off - no damage if they pop out!

Good luck!
You da man - thank you very much for your help! I got them off and without damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts