Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should make great news fodder over the next several weeks as the ban is going to be allowed to expire. Here is what Wayne LaPierre said a few weeks ago.

Jeff Johnson, CNSNews.com
Friday, April 25, 2003
ORLANDO, Fla. - The chief of staff for the nation's largest defender of gun owners' rights said today that the 1994 ban on so-called "assault weapons" enacted by then-President Bill Clinton will not be renewed under President Bush.
"We are bound and determined that that the Clinton gun ban on semi-autos and so-called 'assault rifles' will not be re-enacted," said Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of National Rifle Association to a standing ovation. "I promise you that."

LaPierre's comments came at a gathering of more than 300 NRA members attending a workshop on grassroots political activism before the group's annual meeting Saturday.

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the anti-gun group formerly known as Handgun Control Inc., has attacked NRA for not supporting the Clinton ban on semi-automatic hunting and sporting rifles.

"As a former U.S. Marine, I have fired 'assault weapons,' and there is no legitimate civilian use for these weapons," said Michael Barnes, president of Brady Campaign. "There is no good reason, no defensible reason to turn back the clock and allow 'assault weapons' to be on the streets."

Though Brady Campaign refers to the law as an "assault weapons ban," the legislation actually bans the manufacture and importation of hundreds of types of semi-automatic firearms commonly used by hunters and sport shooters. "Assault weapon" is a technical and legal term referring to fully automatic weapons, more commonly called "machine guns."

According to statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice's Bureau of Justice Statistics, only about 2 percent of criminals in state or federal prisons for committing a crime with a firearm used a weapon banned by the law.

Establishment Media Don't Understand NRA; Politicians Do

LaPierre said the reason the establishment national news media always predict defeat for gun owners' rights is because they don't understand the devotion of those who support the Second Amendment.

"What they don't see is all of you and folks like you all over the country that, one by one, believe in freedom, believe in what we stand for ... it changes everything," he said. "I don't have to tell you that without what you've done, without the NRA, President Bush wouldn't be there today.

"There's absolutely no doubt it would be Al Gore," LaPierre continued. "Even Bill Clinton said it."

Chris Cox, executive director of NRA's Institute for Legislative Action, said NRA members - like those who took off from work and traveled from all over the country to attend the session this morning - were the reason the group was so successful in Congress and in state legislatures.

"It's not because of me; it's not because of Wayne. It's because of you," Cox said. "When we have legislative victories, it's because of you. When we have election victories, it's because of you.

"When I walk into a politician's office, they're not scared of me," he added, "they're scared of you."

According to Kayne Robinson, first vice president of the organization, approximately 50,000 of the NRA's 4 million members are expected to attend the group's 132nd annual meeting Saturday. The meeting will include a tribute to NRA President Charlton Heston, who was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and additional workshops on defending the Second Amendment.
Copyright CNSNews.com

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a cut and paste from another site, hope that it is accurate!!

"Found this on a other site and reposted it here we should all show Delay our Support and email him our thanks. I am I am going to the GOA site now. Jim
Received a call from a friend on Capitol Hill last night who said that Tom DeLay, Republican House Majority Leader, will let the law expire, and will NOT allow any House vote on additional/renewable/extendable legislation...as House Majority Leader, DeLay decides which bills are voted upon in the House. A couple of thoughts: I suspect that G.W. Bush knew all the time that DeLay would take this position...if G.W. does NOT lobby for an extention (which I suspect he will NOT) then it would be evidence that G.W. was playing a Washington game...His underling mentioned a position that the Pres. could deny later if proved too controversial, AND there was a plan to cut off the issue before it got to the Pres, so that the issue became a non-issue. Secondly, we should ALL contact Mr. DeLay (e-mail will do), and THANK HIM! We are quick to complain, and we should be quick to praise. Even if a bill is passed in the Senate, it will die in committee in the House. I really wish I could be in the same room when Chuckie Shumer, Boxer, Kennedy, Waxman, Finestein, et al get the news. the issue is not dead, but the law will be gone...DeLay is a power unto himself, and sticks to his guns (did you like that?)"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.