Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a few searches, but didn't come up with much.

Just wanted some opinions from those who have the ATI top folder. I'm thinking about adding one to my new Mossy 500. At the moment I have the pistol grip installed that it came with. I spend every other Sunday at the range and don't think the pistol grip alone would be very comfortable for the amount of shooting I do.

Also, what is the average length sling you guys would suggest. I just got in a pair of 1" Uncle Mikes swivels and was going to head to my local hardware store to pick up some nylon and make myself a two point sling. Just thought I would ask to get an idea. This shotgun will be used for HD purposes and A LOT of fun at the range.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
ATI stuff isn't of the best quality so keep that in mind.
Top folders don't serve much purpose unless you need to store the weapon in very small areas, are getting into and out of vehicles with it, or have other very specific requirements for a compact shotgun. They also are generally not very comfortable OR ergonomic, especially with the 500/590 safety position.
As far as slings, I use Gear Sector ASP, ASP-V, and I'm in the process of doing an eval on the GS-2P.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
m24shooter said:
They also are generally not very comfortable OR ergonomic, especially with the 500/590 safety position.
Thanks, I didn't even think about that. It's amazing those little things that slip your mind when shopping for products. :wink:

m24shooter said:
As far as slings, I use Gear Sector ASP, ASP-V, and I'm in the process of doing an eval on the GS-2P.
I'll take a look at these slings!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
as M24 said, folding stocks are really only good for really really confined areas, and storage. Personally, I have never seen nor heard of a top folder that is very comfortable to shoulder, even the knoxx cop stock. I have however, seen a number of side folding stocks that are pretty solid and give a fairly good cheek weld, if you need to make it compact.

you are going to find that any kind of pistol grip will make the safety on a mossy hard to get at, and I don't know of any folding stocks that don't feature a pistol grip.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Knoxx has the SpecOps folder out now. I know a couple of fellows on here talked about getting one. You might try a shout out about that and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I shouldered a 870 with the spec-ops folder at the gun show this weekend- I wouldn't recommend it because the cheek weld is absolutely horrible. The regular spec ops is great. I keep wondering if you could have a hinge inline in the regular spec ops stock to make it fold to the side.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't want to start another thread, but had a couple of questions if you guys could help me out.

I ended up getting a SpecOps with the Powerpak and the Hogue Forend. I've been doing searches all day, and got most of my questions answered, but a few I couldn't find, but I only went back 15pages in the search, so sorry if they were answered past that.

1.) I have a long "T" handled 1/4" allen wrench here at work, but it doesn't have a ball-end? Will that work for installation of the stock? Or maybe a ratchet with a extension and a 1/4" socket attached?

2.) I checked Mossberg's site, but can't find if the forend that is on my 500 is the one that will require the forend adapter or not. I'm assuming that it is because it's a newer model, but wasn't sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts