Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired a 20ga over under marked on the vent rib "Atlas Mod 95". It has the side bolt-release action, similar to the other italian (rizzini/fausti/etc.) over unders and what I assume to be false side plates. It is marked on the barrels "VICHERS STEEL" and "Made in Italy". The only other markings are what I assume to be metric proof (kg 1,270 and 17,4 76) and choke codes (15,9 15,4 and 15,9 15,7), "MAGNUM", "PSF", "Finito", "SUPER CHROM" the serial no 10757, "XVIII" and a faint coat of arms. The action is chrome-finished and lightly engraved with scrollwork. Does anyone have an idea who the manufacturer might be?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello everyone - I can partially answer my own posting after doing some internet and library research. I still do not know the manufacturer of this shotgun which may have been imported by ATLAS ARMS in the 1960's. It has a Greener crossbolt locking action with false sideplates having a spare scrollwork engraving pattern, 28 inch "English Vichers Steel" barrels with imp cyl/mod chokes, a single non-selective trigger, and a non-auto safety. The Proof Marks indicate 1962 manufacture, which passed the magnum testing, presumably in Gardone, Italy. The stock is walnut with a rounded pistol grip and slender, but not schnabel, forearm. The receiver end of the vent rib is marked "ATLAS MOD 95" and the barrels are also marked "Made in Italy". ATLAS ARMS had a US Proof Mark of "ATL", which I cannot find anywhere on this firearm. It is a very lightweight (noticeably less than a Beretta) 20 ga field gun that has a nice construction (but not superlative) and very nice balance that makes it a sweet shooter at sporting clays and skeet. I'm not really interested in a value, as I've already purchased it, but out of curiosity would like to know the maker if anyone out there might remember these guns. Thanks, Rick in CO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts