Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased two side by side double barrel shotguns mfg by August Francotti of Belgium. One is in 12Ga #22738 and the other is in 410Ga #N94211 both are in good condition. The 12Ga is totally ingraved on the reciever and appears to have a proof mark that I believe allows it to be converted to a double rifle with a barrel change. I am trying to find the date of mfg. and approximate value. the information I have found on these guns doesn't explain much so I am hoping someone out there can direct me to more information. I have just discovered this site and it is great

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe them both to be boxlock. The 410 is plain, no engraving except at all screw heads and pins, there are matching sun or sunflowers designs around screw heads and pins, The barrels are blued, the reciever is heat treated.

The 12 Ga. is the more ornate of the two, 100% engraving on all surfaces, very fine detail, same sun design around screws and pins. Even the screw heads are engraved. At the junction of the barrels on the breach is a raised cluster of what looks like flames or long leaves. No gold on eitner gun

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I would take them to a pro appraiser, if the Bluebook is even close it would be worthwhile.

BOXLOCK MODEL
- 12, 16, 20, 28 ga., or .410 bore, premium grade Belgium side-by-side, double triggers standard, auto ejectors, English scroll engraving, Anson & Deeley boxlock action.
Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
$15,450 $11,250 $8,000 $6,250 $5,000 $4,000 $3,250

Subtract $5,925 if without engraving.
Add 10% for 28 ga. or .410 bore.
Add $1,159 for sideplates with engraving

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your 12 gauge was made about 1896, therefore is an antique.
From the serial number assignment it is a "medium" grade and therefore, depending on condition, worth somewhere about $1000 give or take.

Do not get excited about blue book prices. Getting a professional appraisal is always best. You must locate an appraiser who is not interested in buying your gun and also is familiar with side-by-side shotguns of European manufacture.

.410 side-by-side shotguns are quite desirable. I cannot tell when it was made but it is worth more than the 12 gauge even though it is not embellished with engraving. An in hand inspection by an appraiser will put you on to what these guns are worth.

All Good, Bill Wise

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Bill much appreciated and thanks to the forum, I've gotten more information on these guns in 3 days than weeks of searching the books

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have inherited a gun from my grandfather, it is a Francotte Double barrel shotgun (side by side). I know nothing about guns. However, it has intricate engraving including the screwheads, and there is a leaflike pattern at one end of the barrel. The stock also contains a checkered pattern. The barrel itself has swirling designs that are smooth (not engraved). There are some markings on it too, "27170", and "U.S. Agents New York", and "Van Lengerke & Detmold"
I would like to possibly receive some information on its history and its possible value. Thank you i appreciate any information possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts