Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with my auto-5 12 gauge. In addition to some jamming with certain loads, the gun has a habit of ejecting an unspent shell out the bottom of the action and then loading what should be the third shell. As per a previous post, I disassembled the entire gun, checked the configuration of the friction rings, and put it all back together after a thorough cleaning. All to no avail. I don't really have problems with light loads, just the heavier duck and goose loads. If anyone has any troubleshooting ideas, I would certainly appreciate them. Thanks

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Are you saying that when you shoot it the first shell is fired and ejected, the second shell loads in the chamber and the third shell drops out the loading port onto the ground all in one continuous process....but only with the hotter shells?

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roughly so. After I shoot, the spent casing is ejected, the next shell flies out the bottom of the action, and what should be the third shell, is loaded. Essentially reducing me to 2 shots when hunting. It sometimes does it with trap loads, but not so often.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Wow, dropping 2 and loading the third its hard to imagine how that would happen.

The next time you shoot it mark the hulls with a magic marker, 1, 2, 3 annd confirm that the 2nd shell is dropped and the 3rd loaded. It has an impact on the diagnosis...

In the meantime I'll try to figure it out.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed. I thought maybe the carrier was sticking or something so I tore the entire thing apart a week or two ago. Didn't really change much. Looks more and more like I need to find a good smith. The last one was stumped. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Fez,

When you load the mag is the shell back against the shell stop (the little ledge on the underside of the breech block)

Or is it restingup in the magazine tube?

If the shell is in right it rests against the shell stop and abbout 3/8" of the side of the brass is visible. If the shells are staying up in the mag tube so all you see is the end of the shell that may be your problem.

The first thing I might try is to clean out the mag tube and stretch the mag tube spring to increase the pressure on the shell follower a bit.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does have a problem catching in the magazine tube, however, even when I make sure that the shell is resting on the catch, it ejects a shell out the bottom. I am thinking that perhaps the catch is faulty and does not catch the third shell, allowing it to follow the second one out of the magazine? I am putting a new spring set in it, so the new magazine spring should be stronger?? if that is my problem? I had the spring out last week and the whole tube was quite rusty. Brushed it out and lubed the whole assembly but once again, no dice. I'll give the spring stretching a shot this weekend and get back to you. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shot it quite a bit today. The third shell is the one coming out the bottom. It even happened occasionally when the gun would jam and I could watch it happen. Whatever the silver piece that pivots to allow loading and guides the shell into the action is, keeps getting stuck up and the third shell just spits out the bottom as soon as the second is loaded. Whenever there are two shells in the gun, depending on the load, it functions perfectly. I am trying to get it to shoot duck loads, so everything was 2 shot. Winchester Drylok worked the best, Kent was terrible, and the 2 varieties of Federal were alright but jammed on the way out or failed to eject sometimes. Shot all kinds of loads and switched the rings around quite a bit. No luck getting it to consistently shoot 3 in a row on steel. In target configuration is did alright though. I also tried wiping any lube off of the spring on the outside of the magazine in hopes of creating more friction. just seemed to cause more jamming. Most of the jamming was either the tip of the casing getting caught in the barrel or the shell ejecting, but for some reason, the next shell got all the way out of the magazine and all the way back, but was not pushed forward and loaded at all.

Anyhow, that sums up the experience. My new spring set should have been here a while ago, but midwest gun works did not ship it until yesterday despite it being ordered a full 8 days ago. Oh well, it will get here and eventually the old A-5 will be knocking ducks down again.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I suspect the flat spring that moves the shell lifter downward is weak or broken...or possibly the spring on the carrier dog. When the action is closed is there spring pressure on the lifter holding it down?

Regarding the cycling of steel shells, steel has little mass and therefore generates less recoil to operate the mechanism.o they usually require the lightest spring settings on the recoil spring.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely seemed to jam less with the light spring setting. There is downward pressure on the lifter with the action closed. I guess I will see if the rebuild kit has one of those springs. I think most of my problems are with the carrier and lifter though. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Jeff, I think you hit with your last post on lifter springs. Carrier dog spring has to very strong to work properly in combo with strong flat lifter spring.
The shell stop and lock block latch combo operation could cause this also. With different barrels shell stop ramp and shell stop can be slightly different due to wear.
Take out recoil spring and friction piece from mag tube, reassemble, manually push barrel back and forth to similate operation with dummy loads and watch the wonderful operation of John B's artwork, you should be able to see the problem then.

·
Registered
20 Posts
bumping. I've had this problem too, a shell will fall out of the gun from the loading port. It doesn't bug me very much i just wipe the snow off the shell and speed load it. It only does it when i have my 2 piece carrier in it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Talked to my neighbor who bought the gun originally, says it has done it from day one. Haven't played around with it too much since, but the new rebuild kit actually seems to help a bit. Shot 2 boxes and had it happen 4 times. Not nearly as bad as it was. When I return from my trip I plan to look into some replacement parts for the carrier. What is the alternative to the 2-piece carrier? Let me know if you find anything out.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Your carrier latch shell stop probably has a cracked hole or is bent enough to allow the spare shell to fly out when the carrier is lifting shell #2.

The roll pin pivot is also a fulcrum, just like a teeter-totter, so when the latch is actuated by the shell coming back, but doesn't block the rim of the next shell, the end of the carrier and shell is what keeps shell 3 from dropping out, at least until they pivot out of the way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts