Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a like new in box (fired 3X) Auto 5 magnum (jap made) a couple of years ago. I have other guns I hunt with, but I've been really tempted to start goose hunting with the Auto 5. What's your opinion - should I keep the gun in the box for value, or use it as a hunting gun?

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
That is a tough question. My feelings are that the A5 was made to shoot. These are great waterfowlguns.

Does it have a Browning choke system (Invector or Invector Plus)? If not do not shoot Hevishot or steel through it.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Good morning PastorJimmy: That is a tough question. I do believe the "Japanese" A-5s" will never be woth what the Belgium ones are worth. Since yours can no longer be considered "New in the box", (fired 3 times)

I specifiacally bough a couple of "Japanese" Md 12s just to shoot, so I wouldn't have to take my original ones out and risk a bump or bruise or two.

Goose hunting can be fairly easy on your gun. Meaning a walk out to pass shoot, or to your blind or pit. It really depends on your type of hunting. I usually take my favorite Md 12 HD out to goose shoot at my blind, when the north wind is blowing. It means the weather will be clear and cold. I carry it out cased, and once situated in the blind I remove it. Yes I baby it as much as possible. Which you can do to yours too! In other words I'd shoot it under the right conditions.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
Shoot it! I bought a NIB 1995 Jap inv+ light 12 a year and a half ago and went through the same thing, I knew I could put it on gunbroker and double my money easily, but at the same time I had never had a New Auto-5, so I really wanted to shoot and hunt with it. I justcouldent get over the idea of harming it's collectability. My solution was to put a sling stud in the buttstock so as to destroy collector value, while at the same time making it a more effective hunting gun, and loosening myself up to the idea of treating it like a "regular" gun. A New A-5 is a thing to behold, they arent making anymore of them. Life is short, enjoy the gun.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The A-5 as made to be used! :D Shoot it, enjoy it, and then when its time, give it to the grand kids so they can shoot it and enjoy. You take care of it it will outlast you. I'm the second generation shooting my A-5. It still functions perfectly. Do as Only Winchesters suggests and keep it cased until situated in the blind. I do the same with an Avery floating gun case.

Enjoy your functional piece of history and new family heirloom!

Mike

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
If you want an investment buy mutual funds. Guns are meant to be used! Enjoy it. Shoot it.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
Boy that's a tough one. I too have a Mag 12, it's from 1991. I stopped using it for hunting and only shoot clays with it from time to time. It was my one gun for all of my shotgunning at one time. It still looks new and I plan on keeping it that way. I have been kicking around the thought of getting a Japanese Mag 12 "Shooter" and putting synthetic stocks on it then having it dipped for a project gun.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. A5 guy - it is an invector+ gun, so it should be safe for the non toxics. I prefer HeviShot, so I should be good. I guess I'll take the advice, and use it for field hunting, and leave the marshes and coastal stuff to the trusty old Mossburg 500.

Again, thanks for the advice. This is my first post, and I'm brand new to the site. I'm really enjoying this alot! I have some other questions on some other guns in my collection - but I'll save those questions for another day.

Godspeed!

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I shoot my A5 with Hevishot exclusively. Be sure to pattern your gun with the stuff. My barrel is an Invector and skeet or improved clyinder chokes work best for me using #6 over decoys and #4 for longer shots.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also own a Japan made Browning Auto-5 12ga 3" magnum with invector plus chokes. It is mainly used for ducks and geese with zero problems. I did replace the wood with a factory Browning synthetic stock and forearm. The wood was so nice I didn't want to ding it up in the boat. Couldn't believe that Browning had the cheapest price on this stock set, and I did a lot of comparing and searching before buying!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Worc: 11/03/04 was date, purchase price was $146.50 which included shipping. This was ordered directly through Browning in Utah. Composite-Stalker stock and forearm for the A-5 12ga 3" magnum. Hope this answers your question. I do remember it took 3 weeks to get. I was told by Browning that they do there inventory in October/November which I thought was screwy since this is the busiest time of year for hunters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.