Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a 12ga autoloader that will cycle Winchester AA Featherweights as well as cycle 2 3/4" steel and/or hevi-shot waterfowl magnums?

G

·
Just with any autoloader you're gonna see problems with lighter shells if you also want to shoot bigguns. I personally recommend the winchester super x2 or the berretta extrema but i shoot more ducks and geese than dove and quail.

· Registered
543 Posts
I know of one and that is the Winchester Super X2 sporting. It has a 3" chamber. It comes with two gas pistons one for 1 1/8 oz and UNDER, like the featherweights. The second is the normal field piston that you can shoot 1oz target loads to 3" hevi-shot with if you want.

· Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked about shotguns not paperweights Gordon. (Joke) Although I did lose an oar, maybe I do need a Baikal. (Joke)

· Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the Sx2 Sporting is the only winnie moedl to come with the two pistons? I wonder is the extra piston is available separate.

· Registered
543 Posts
I have never seen them in the stores, like next to the choke tubes. I am sure you could order one as a replacment part for another SX2 if you get one. If you are thinking on getting the 3.5" and the sporting piston that would give you a very versitial gun.

· Registered
6,240 Posts
A write up of the Beretta 391 stated that it cycled the Win Featherlights (sub-sonic) if it had a 28" barrel or longer. I have seen them cycled in a 30" Beretta 390 with Cole's yellow aftermarket exhaust spring. The Browning and Winchester autos with the target piston may work with those loads, especially if the barrel is at least 28" but I have no first hand experience with them and the light shells.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
I think a Browning Gold Fusion will cycle those light loads, and shoot the heavy loads, also. It certainly cycles the light loads well, and I have read on the forums where the gun has the lighter cylinder? Would be worth a try to call Browning.

A friend taught me how to soak a Beretta 391 up with Break Free, and store it barrel down and wipe it out for a gun that will eject anything, and that works...it really does.

Of course the Cole fix works just fine.

I think one of the problems with ejecting light loads is that many guns are not designed to eject light loads, and state that fact in their manuals...they want 1 1/8 loads minimum.

Secondly, I think a lot of guns that have the ability to eject light loads, like the Beretta 391 get used for a couple of thousand rounds and the gas ports get fouled just enough (but not much) to make ejection of light loads not consistent. I had a Beretta 391 where the gun would fail to properly deal with one or two light loads per box. I learned from the Gunsmithing: Shotguns book by Pat Sweeney (everybody should own this book) that you put the proper size drill bit in a drill (don't plug in the drill; the drill is just to hold the drill bit), and you clean out the gas ports, and as soon as I did that EVERYTHING popped out of that Beretta. The gas ports seemed clean, before I did this, and I cleaned them with pipe cleaner brush regularly with solvent, but they still get just a wee-bit closed in diameter, which will give a problem to those light loads.

· Registered
86 Posts
Browning has a Sporting clays model of the gold that comes with 2 gas pistons, one made for 7/8oz loads. Get a Gold and order the piston from Browning, will keep ya from having to pay more for the SC model.

· Registered
34 Posts
Did any of you guys know that the guy who designed the Browning Gold knew absolutely nothing about guns. Yeah: all knew about was coffee cans, cause that's what he was making before he went Browning. When the Gold first came out, they had over one hundred updates. Hell, between now and the time that it came out, the only things that haven't been changed are the buttpad and the sight bead, literally. But, I'm just glad to see that they've finally worked all the kinks out, or atleast, let's hope so.
Just thought some of you guys might want to know that your beloved Browning Gold was designed by some guy that didn't know what the hell he was doing. Happy Hunting!

· Registered
7,182 Posts
Jambo, where did you get that story?

On the subject Browning Fusion comes with both pistons in the box. Also Benelli M1 or Montefeltro will cycle all types of loads.

· Registered
10 Posts
pumper said:
Is there a 12ga autoloader that will cycle Winchester AA Featherweights as well as cycle 2 3/4" steel and/or hevi-shot waterfowl magnums?
Yes. The pre-rotating-bolt Benellis, such as the 121. Mine cycles absolutely everything from Featherlights to Magnum Buckshot. It almost cycles the Aguila mini-shells' birdshot load. (I still need to try the buckshot and slug load, since they develop a little more recoil, they may actually cycle in this wonderful gun.)

If all you need is a 12ga that shoots 2-3/4" shells, then look for a used, older-generation Benelli. They won't take 3" shells, but they absolutely work!

· Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seems that most guns that can either tend to be very picky or require swapping of pistons. I guess it'll stay pumps for me.

· Registered
34 Posts
jlptexashunter said:
Jambo, where did you get that story?
My extremely knowledgeable gunsmithing instructor. Why? Do you know another version of the story? (that was a serious question)

GoldenHunter said:
It would seem that you Jambo and he then have alot in common since it is very clear you have no idea what you are talking about.
What makes you say that? Do You have another version of the story? 'Cause I would most certainly like to hear it.

· Registered
543 Posts
Hmm lets see why would that be hard to believe. Just as easy to believe that as it is 2 guys at Harley Davidson still building bikes and running the company in a garage here in Milwaukee. I don't care if John Browning himself came back from the dead and gave them a new gun design. It would not touch the prototype stage till every enginneer (and it is more than just one) had a chance to examine every bolt and spring on it. To even say it was designed by one person is comical at best.

· Registered
34 Posts
john305 said:
Hmm lets see why would that be hard to believe. Just as easy to believe that as it is 2 guys at Harley Davidson still building bikes and running the company in a garage here in Milwaukee. I don't care if John Browning himself came back from the dead and gave them a new gun design. It would not touch the prototype stage till every enginneer (and it is more than just one) had a chance to examine every bolt and spring on it. To even say it was designed by one person is comical at best.
That's the only version of the story that I know. Do you know another version? Believe it or not, but that gun had over one hundred updates. So, why don't you tell me what the Browning Gold designer's occupation was before he went to Browning? The Browning Gold would barely function when it first came out. You tell me otherwise.

And thank you for sending the message, Gordon. I'm eager to here what they have to say. Post their response on this thread. I'll give my post and Browning's response to my instructor and see what he has to say.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.