Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my first shotgun, to shoot trap in a league and to occasionally dove and duck hunt. I have a couple of over/unders I am looking at. How important is it that I get the auto ejectors option?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i personally like the extractors better for my clay guns. it isn't hard to put your hand over to stop the ejectors but with extractors you never have to bend over to pick up spent shells.
my hunting guns have ejectors to speed reloading.
that's what i've foung best for me.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Whenever hunting in cold weather with gloves the ejectors will seem like a blessing.The extractor only models are ok in mild weather but most do not raise the shell enough to grab with a gloved hand.
If it flies it dies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
558 Posts
The most important things are how well the gun fits you and how well you shoot it. All my O/U's (2) have ejectors. It's not too hard to train yourself to catch the hulls as they pop out. Every double that I know of only ejects the fired hull and only lifts the unfired ones.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hey coach, welcome to SGW. This is a fairly often discussed topic with pros and cons for each. I would opt for ejectors because you can always disable them, turning them into extractors and back to ejectors if needed. Some on here do it themselves and others let gunsmiths do the 5 min. job. I learned quickly how to catch ejected hulls in my right hand, (assuming you're right handed) cupped over the breech as it opens and now it's a reflex action doing so. It may sound complicated but this is a widely used method and if you can watch someone perform (the catch) you'll see. It's one of those deals where it's easier to show you than tell you. What guns are your choices? We like to know these things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that's great information and knowing I could have them disabled makes the decision easy. If I stick with the O/U I am looking at a Franchi or a DeHaan both under $1000. If I go with an auto loader I'll probably go with either a Beretta 3901 also well under $1000. I am taking a trip to Bachman's Pawn shop and Cabelas early next week to see if I find anything there before I make a final decision. Looking forward to making a decision and a purchase so I can some instruction and get started. Thanks for the information

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a friend that shoots a Franchi O/U and he's been pleased as he shoots clays regularly and he carried it duck hunting last week in west Texas and really whacked em. I don't know anyone with a DeHaan. The Beretta auto is also money well spent but some of your squad mates in the trap leauge might not enjoy the spent hulls ejecting out of the auto bouncing off them or worse yet, off their gun. That can be remedied with a shell catcher installed though. You do know there's a noticable difference in recoil with the auto being kinder on the shoulder? Some people are more recoil sensitive than others. I know it's hard not to just hurry up and buy one but try to feel of as many different makes and models as possible. You can get the best deal in the world and if you can't get it to fit you correctly it's all for crap. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I prefer ejectors. I also do not mind picking up my empties. It is picking others' left-behind-hulls that I don't like!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts