Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I sent my SPR-100s for warranty a month ago and still don't have it back :cry: . So I want to get a different gun. I am thinking about the Charles Daly 20 Ga. auto loader. It was highley recomended by a friend, but I don't know much about it. It looks like a well built gun, but I would love to hear some honest feedback about the quality. I will use it for some trap and bird hunting mostly, it probably won't see more than 500 rounds per year. Hope to hear some good feedback. Have a great day.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I think you would get a lot more for your money if you found a good used 391, 1100 or A5. You can still find 390 new at a very good price.

These are solid, well built guns with great track records.

bd

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
My understanding, after talking with many dealers, is that the CD that gives the most trouble is the 12 gauge. The 20 gauge has given minimal trouble and most people are happy with them.

One of the guys in my hunting club got a 20 gauge CD and he has been satisfied with it for around 3 years now. The posts on this forum also indicate that the 20 gauge is satisfactory.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Very good advice.

bel_dad said:
I think you would get a lot more for your money if you found a good used 391, 1100 or A5. You can still find 390 new at a very good price.

These are solid, well built guns with great track records.

bd

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the 1100, but it is running about $700. The CD is about $300. I know the 1100 is nice and reliable.If I had the money I would get a Benelli(Actually, I'm also considering a Nova Pump). I'm tired of poor service and workmanship, aren't there any guns for honest hardworking Americans? I'm not a doctor or a lawyer so since this is a "play" expense for me, I cannot justify spending too much money on something that is used so little. I only hunt a little bit and that is mostly birds ( none since I don't have a gun now). I love over/unders but they are very expensive(that is why I bought the SPR). I just want the most bang for the buck ( no pun intended). Thanks and have a great day.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Do a search on CD shotguns and it reads like a crappy book. I had a 20 ga and it was not a good gun. The internal locking luck( The part the locks the bolt to the barrel in battery) was made out of cast iron and failed. They have a 100% garauntee on parts -They need it.

Stick with a Berretta, Remington, gently used if that is your price limit and your way ahead.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I think you can get a brand new 390 for about $400, perhaps even less.

There are a zillion 1100's out there, I'm thinking if you keep your ear to the ground, you can pick up a good deal on one. The price you quote seems way high, I'm thinking an 1100 can be had for around $400.

I have seen very nice A5's for $250-350. Almost bought one for $250 in good shape, but couldn't bring myself to cut down the barrel for 3 gun matches. It was just too nice of a gun.

If your not in a big hurry, I think you can find something nice, in your price range. Shop the net, stop by gun stores and pawn shops... talk to your friends, check the board at your local cun club...you'll find something worthy. Success favors the patient man. :lol:

bd

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
NICE!! 16g is a great shooting *****! I have heard many people say, the two best patterning guages are 28 and 16... This wouldn't be my choice for a skeet gun, unless I was reloading and shoot it in the 12 and for doubles. But it is a GREAT bird hunting gun. :lol:

bd

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Rob, I understand your budget concern. I have been in that same boat all my life.

I can only speak about the Daly field hunter from my own experience, not from what I heard or read. I purchased a Daly 12 ga synthetic a few years back because I wanted a beater semi-auto to use duck hunting. I used it for two seasons. I had no failures to feed or fire with the gun, fit and finish were generally good. The only thing I did not like about it was that you have to hold the bolt release button down to insert shells into the magazine, like the old Win mod 50 I believe.

Other than that, the gun was fine. I saved my box and paperwork, gave the gun a thorough cleaning and then sold it for two thirds of my purchase price. A fair deal I believe.
I would not hesitate to get one again for casual shooting as you describe. High volume clay gun? Maybe not.

My latest play around auto is the Stoeger 2000, I have had mine now for exactly 3 yrs this month. I have had no failures to feed or fire with this gun either. I am so impressed with this gun that it has earned a permanent place in my small collection.
You can buy one of these for under $400 in Black synthetic.

These are just my actual experiences with these guns, and I know many will tell you otherwise. Maybe I have just been lucky, but most of my luck is usually bad.

As for the 1100 I have shot and hunted with a few people using them, and it always amazes me how much they screw up and jam, yet everyone still talks about them like they're the holy grail or something. Please note that have not, and will not ever spend my money on one, this opinion is strictly based on what was seen and heard.

Best regards,

Jeff

The nut list- Baker 1898 Damascus barrel double hammer gun / American Arms single shot 12 ga/ Winchester Model 12 26" IC solid rib black diamond high grade straight grip checkered stock and fore end 12ga / Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Turkey 12ga / Winchester SX2 3 ½" 12ga / Browning Gold Hunter 20ga / Stoeger 2000 Max4 camo 12ga / Beretta AL391 Urika Gold 12ga / Remington 870 Wingmaster 20ga / Springfield .410 single shot (for yet to be conceived grand babies)/ Ugartechea Model 30 12 ga/ De Haan SGr-CS SxS on order since April, soon to be delivered, I hope!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, I can't belive how much feed back I've gotten today. First, I want to get a 20 Ga because I have about 750 rounds of all sizes and that gauge works for me and my wife (still tryin' to get her into hunting). The 16 is great but where I live it is hard enough to find a veriety of shot sizes for the 20 and almost impossible for the 16. Everything around here is 12. That was a pretty 16 though, thank you for the link. I've looked at a few of the Stoegers and think they are also a nice gun for the money. Still would like to here more about the stoegers and mabe some response on the Benelli. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Bud's Gun Shop has the new Mossberg 20GA autoloader for $377.80, delivered.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/52291

I've never heard of anybody that has actually shot one yet, I held one at the shop a few weeks ago and it seemed well built...that's all the info I have on them so far...

Smitty

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Rob, there's very little difference in recoil between a 20 and a 12g. A good quality 12 auto will have a lot less recoil than a 20g pump or O/U. The A5 isn't noted for it's light recoil... but I personaly, never found them heavy on it, as some others do.

I'd be considering a 12g in a 390/391 or 1100. These are guns you can have the remainder of your life, be proud of, and pass on to your kids!

bd

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I shoot a Stoeger 2000 and it has been perfect. Absolutely trouble free. It fits me better than my old 870, so I take home more pheasants now. I recommend this gun highly. I believe it is a true value and is highly under rated. If I had use for another one I wouldn't hesitate to buy it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would buy this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=85626022

I almost did. I think the beretta autos are hard to beat. This one is cheap because someone sanded on the buttstock a little. What they did to it would actually benefit me. The only problem with it is that is is a fixed choke, but modified is what I would want in a 20 ga upland gun anyway.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Remington 1100 LT20 would be a fine choice. Used, 350.00 ish and will shoot for years.

A $250.00 plain barrel, MOD, 1100, 12 ***** is still in service as a 16 yard trap gun with my brother the occasional Trap Shooter and Chaser of Columbia basin Phesants.

I continue to be amazed at the number of 'bad' 1100 stories found in the web world. But just keep shooting the 1100 over and over and over again.

BTW there are several in the family--12 and 20 per so far one action bar on the 1969 gun needed to be replaced, an action spring on and the most serious was on an LT 20 who's barrel stop came loose. Remington repaired some 5 years after the warranty had expired. All but one of these guns was purchased, used and had unknown history.

The 1100 Rem my wife shoots--$179.00 in 1980 has yet to have a service call.

Buy a used 1100 Remington, Beretta 39x, Winchester X2... and if you can't find a value priced, then find a used 870 Remington.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Robneck,

you wrote.... "I'm tired of poor service and workmanship, aren't there any guns for honest hardworking Americans?

Tough to have it both ways. Good quality and workmanship costs more, period. If good quality is what you want, the minimum in an autoloader would be a used 1100. If you are really tired of poor quality and workmanship, steer clear of the CDs, Stoegers, Baikals and the like.... and I'm not singling them out, just referring to that general catagory of guns in which they and several others fall. Also, the last thing I would do is to buy a gun based on having a somewhat small supply of shells on hand. With limited funds, you also need to consider guns other than autoloaders. A quality pump gun would be a wonderful choice for a limited budget low volume shooter.

We shooters are mostly all honest hard working Americans. Doctors and Lawyers work hard too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.