Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
I hunt rabbits/doves/quail and skeet with O/U's. I will not own one without auto ejectors period. IF you want to catch your hulls put your left hand over the breech when it opens and pop the shells into your hand. Anyone with hands can do it.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Well, this thread is only 11 years old, but what the heck. If it interests folks, keep it going. Not much to say on this other than it is very easy to "catch" the spent shells from an ejector gun (assuming a s/s or o/u). To most of us it is done without a thought. We do have one fellow that shoots skeets with us that has an interesting technique for his "ejector" o/u. He bends over, lowering the gun across his knees, then opens it, ejecting the shells backwards, usually towards the other shooters. Then, after the round he collects his spent rounds off the ground. We have no idea why he does this and he ignores our suggestions to not do it as it is awkward (for him) and uncomfortable for the folks that get hit in the shins with his spent shells. Otherwise, he's a good guy....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a kid growing up in the country I carried a Stevens single shot ejector 20 gauge. It was a wonderful shotgun and allowed me to bring home many grouse. I carried a spare shell in my left hand allowing me to eject and reload quickly. I dreamed of owning a double barrel. My dream came true as a 20 year old I purchased a Remington 1900 double barrel in 12 gauge with extractors. Now, 45 years later I still carry it. I've grown used to the extractor and use it to advantage. If hunting conditions or game sought require a different shell, it's easy to open the action quietly and swap out. I'm not a pheasant hunter but rather I cover miles of terrain that changes often. I might see ruffed grouse, woodcock, snowshoe hare, coyote, fox, black bear or whitetail deer. Also ducks and geese and an occasional turkey. I always buy a sportsman's all game license and I always know what's in season. It's possible that an ejector double would work for me but I don't feel the need or desire today.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.