Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a Red Label 12 ga for skeet. Does the field model still have an automatic safety??? If so is it simple to change to a manual safwety????

Is the trigger a mechanical or inertia.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mechanical trigger. As far as I know, the safety on field models is automatic. It isn't terribly difficult to change it to manual. I sent my first Red Label off to Ruger for the treatment and after I saw what they had done, I have done the others myself. As I recall, the turn around time from the Ruger factory was fairly quick, but that was a few years ago. Any local gunsmith would be able to do the job for you fairly quickly.

Doug Gordon

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had Ruger disengage my auto safety several months ago. The cost was $20 and the turn around time was less than 2 weeks. Great service and have never had any problem with this 12 ga black synthetic stainless Ruger Red Label. FWIW Grade6man

·
Registered
437 Posts
ke4yyd
In answer to your question, the trigger is mechanical not depending on recoil. However you do need to release the trigger completly after the first shot to fire the second barrel.
As far as the automatic saftey is concerned ,yes a gunsmith or even yourself can change it. BUT it will not be under warranty unless sent to Ruger.This is according to the manuel.
I have 3 Rugers,a 20ga, 12 ga. and a 12 ga sporting Clays model. All Rugers are field models except the sporting clays
model which is not much different except the twin beads and 30 inch barrel. The early models were not back bored, I think that started about 1995.
I have just put up with the auto safety and have learned to flip it off with out thinking.
I have owned them since 1996 and have not had the first problem yet. They will shoot low for trap and you have to
block out the target or build up the stock some.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Automatic safety is one of the few things that has not bothered me. Flicking it off is second nature . I do think the trigger on mine has an excessive amount of creep or take-up. Probably something the lawyers had them build in.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Funny, both my Rugers have the auto safety and after a getting use to it , It just happens. Click it is off and bang bang. I did have problems at first since I was use to my other o/u guns with manual safeties. I like it for a hunting gun and it does not bother me at all now shooting clays or skeet.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is wrong with an automatic safety? How difficult is it to flip it off when you are ready to shoot? Be safe, know your mechanics, practice.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Nothings wrong with an automatic safety, just unnecessary if all the gun is ever used for is clay targets. A gun used for hunting is a different thing altogether.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I realy dont know why they put auto saftys on double guns in the first place , semi auto @ pumps cant use them , we dont seem to concernd about hunting with out auto saftys on them , why not go manuel on your double for hunting @ clays..Butch45LC

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel the same way about auto safeties. I was raised on an Ithaca side by side and the auto safety was never an issue while hunting. However with competition skeet one doesn't want that extra item to distract your concentration. I have know some folks that have completly disabled safeties on competition guns. If one fails to shoot because of the safety or other similar reason in competion it is a lost bird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts