Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after much shop fitting, I have eventually decided on a aYa #4 s/s. This little beauty just felt good in my hands right from the start and it was love at first sight. What is more, the one I found is in mint condition and in its original case. Everything is still nice and tight and gleaming. The smell of her is still lingering on my fingers and I cannot wait to take her home with me. Unfortunately, I now have a two month wait for my licence to arrive. :( In the meantime, I would appreciate any comments on the aYa. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm no expert Trout, but I do know that aYa made some of the best double guns ever. Ernest Hemingway, for example, had one in 20 gauge--he committed suicide with it, not a recommended use--and he could afford to shoot whatever he wanted. Congrats on your new gun; I'm properly envious! (not envious of the waiting period though!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments. The gun laws in South Africa are about to change early next year, with some serious limitations being placed on us with regard to number of guns allowed. Already a lot of refusals are being encountered. After all the excitement of my initial purchase, I may still find that my application is refused, even after the initial waiting period of two months or so. This will mean that I can then lodge an appeal, but that may take a further two months or so to pan out. The best I can do now is hope and pray that my application lands on the right desk and that whoever picks it up is in a good mood on the day. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I traveled for a couple of weeks in SA in the summer of 1994, so I know a little bit about the country. I'm hoping things are more stable now than they were then! What you wrote about having to apply for individual guns makes me value my second amendment rights more than ever-- but I remember all the hassles just trying to get through customs, rent a car, etc. in '94. It's a beautiful country though, and hey, at least you're not in Zimbabwe (spent 3 months there). You can bet there's no NRA in Zim, and even when I was there there were parts of the cities that had to be avoided, especially at night. Now-- who knows what it's like?

Ack--way off topic, sorry guys, but I just got to typing out loud :lol:

G

·
I am buying this weekend an AYA model 4 from a friend who inherited it from his father, I have not seen it yet, its 98%; I have heard nothing but good reviews about AYA and the model 4, I really hope you get your gun real soon.

Best Regards,

Rafael Solorzano
San Diego, Ca

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
:lol: trout,congrats on aquiring a fine gun.in my country there :evil: are strict limitations on the number of guns that could be owned-3 -1 rifle,1gun,1 handgun and then there are caliber restrictions.we cannot import them either.so what guns we have in the counrtry they cost the sky.ammunition price is one of the highest in the world and number of ammunitiopn one can purchase is severly restricted.one cannot be sure if one gets an arms license after applying.to top it all you can't hunt.not even rabbits,they are protected species.tigers i understand,rabbits :twisted: just pouring out my heart.so you should be happy that you can buy a gun and hunt with it too.appreciate thy blessings friend :lol: -vikram.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yeesh, no hunting at all, huh? What a fate for a country where some of the greatest hunts must have taken place. Alas.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
:( yes mr.jeff.my heart aches every time i remember the hunting anecdotes of my uncle and my grand father.those were the days when some of the greatest hunts took place.indiscriminate hunting during the british raj and after ,poaching ,shortsighted &uninformed poicies have all robbed my generation from this noble and exciting sport.have you read books by jim corbett sir?all the glory and thrill of hunting a tiger on foot comes alive.once again,not even rabbits :twisted: -vikram.

G

·
===============================================

............ All this talk about the fine aya shotguns is making me get itchy to have one. ... I guess thats a pretty good desease to have after all.

Regards To All ... Norm

===============================================

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Vikram--

I haven't read Corbett, but it's certainly time I did. I'll put him on my list of books to get :) I know a bit about the English Raj from my work--hunting was apparently the main pastime of young officers, and their superiors viewed it as good training for combat. Kipling's got a couple of excellent tiger hunting stories too. I'm so sorry to hear that it's all gone. :cry: In the U.S., we've got a few enlighted conservation groups, like Ducks Unlimted, who have been able to ensure that there's some hunting to do, even for the average guy, like me. So I'll count my blessings. There's plenty to complain about here at home, with the gun laws and hunting land access problems, but I tend to forget that we're better off than most.

Best,

Jeff23

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.