Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I think I am the charter member.

Spring Turkey @ Osceola WMA (NE Fla)
6 Hunts. 2 Hen sightings. 1 gobble. 8,000 mosquito bites.
Always saw turkeys on the drive home after shooting hours (1pm)

General Gun (read- Deer Season)
Day 1- Did not make it out of driveway (truck broke)
Day 2- Saw sign, found bedding area. Set up shop downwind, beyond where it looks like they would circle. Saw a piglet. Nothing else. No grunts, scrapes, bleats, calls, nothin!

Almost hit a 8-10 pt buck on US 17 1 block from my house. Cannot shoot it, city ordianance.

I swear, I am beginning to think I am the worlds worst hunter.

So who else here is having a "hunting" season that has been more like "Walking in woods wearing orange"? :D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Love coming back from a pheasant hunt after seeing no birds an you are a mile from home and rooster runs across the road! :x

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
went dove hunting this past seaon on public land,never saw a thing,came back home and saw probably 20 on telephone wires.Police would not be happy if I shot them.I live only 3 blocks from the station. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
That's how it is here in NW Florida. There are about 15 squill that live in the 2 trees in my front yard, but on thousands of acres of wildlife management land (public), it is hard to find one.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Also fun when you hike 10 miles hunting for rabbits, seeing nothing but a few birds, come home, and have to stop in your driveway to keep from running over a rabbit that is sitting there staring at you.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
YEP!!

When I'm in my duck blind the only Canadian Geese that I see are so high they are leaving contrails!

When they come over my house they are about 30 feet up!!

Next year I'm sitting up a blind on my roof!! (anyone know of some not-too-loud shotgun ammo?)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
A guy who hunted on my farm last week said he saw the biggest buck he ever saw in his life and had a perfect shot on it - and his muzzle-loader misfired!!!

Several years ago my brother-in-law and his friend hunted on my farm and stayed overnight in the old farm house. They hunted all day and never saw a deer. Just before they went to bed, the friend looked out the window and called the other guy to come look. Right there in the backyard was a whole herd of deer!!! (Hunting hours ended 1/2 hour after sunset.)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I am also a member. I don't go hunting often for a reason. Not once in my entire life have I managed to brng anything home. I can go squirrel hunting and never see one until I get home and see them running all around the house. I didn't hear a single deer when I went deer hunting, but I saw one in my yard in the middle of the city the next morning.

They are taunting me. Maybe my next hunting trip will be the one where the hunter finally wins.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I go deer hunting with at least a .308 and the squirrels are everywhere.

I go squirrel hunting with a .22 rimfire and some of the biggest deer in the woods walk by.

On the sporting clays range there are several quail that just walk down the path.

Must be a conspiracy!!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
drj211 said:
I go deer hunting with at least a .308 and the squirrels are everywhere.

I go squirrel hunting with a .22 rimfire and some of the biggest deer in the woods walk by.

On the sporting clays range there are several quail that just walk down the path.

Must be a conspiracy!!
Had that exact thing happen to me as well. The next time I took my rifle and a .22 pistol on my hip. Only saw one lousy woodpecker. Took me 30 minutes to find him, but I heard him all day long. No squirrels, no deer, just a woodpecker. Thought about blasting him just out of sheer frustration.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Last year was my year to begin Turkey hunting. I bought camo at a reduced price last spring after the season. Bought a friction call and worked with it all summer, got pretty good. Paid a lot for a lease in Wise County, Texas. scouted for roosts. Found a likely looking area and built a tempory blind. Got up early and drove for an hour(very early) walked to blind. I got settled in well before dawn and listened for gobbling. As the birds started down I started calling, the birds were headed away(I was on the wrong side) and none wanted to listen to
me. Very Shortly it was very light and since I was not getting any responce I started looking around and found that indeed my calling had worked at least on a 55 pound cayote that was moving rapidly towards the slow and stupid "turkey" that hadn't joined the rest. As I got ready to repell borders, I gave him a dose of #4 at about 25 yards. He looked like he ran into a wall, one shot-one kill. The land owner told me that I could hunt cayotes free but still had to pay for turkey hunting. This year I might try my wounded rabbit call and see if I can get a good Tom.

John

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
last year i went duck hunting with my older cousins and we were in one of those blinds that has all that netting stuff all hanging in front and i got too excited i guess when a huge flock came into range and the next thing i knew was my barrel was all tangled in the netting and i was so mad cussing the netting and all the ducks out and my cousins were almost on the ground laughing at me :oops:

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a friend that will be joining the ranks of BHA next year. I was quite shocked to hear she wanted to go through the hunter safety course, and even more shocked that she got through it (though I'm truly glad she did go). A not-very-slender, know-it-all girl with bad knees and worse patience has it in her mind that she's going to start bowhunting for deer next year. She'll be getting a traditional bow sometime over the summer, because she snubs using compound bows and firearms (even though she's never fired either one), and has decided that going afield looking like Errol Flynn or an elven archer from Lord of the Rings is the way to go. I have never heard of this girl exercising in the many years I have known her, with her bad knees as the prime reason. Some of her favorite people to make fun of are the "good ol' boys", as she's one of these hippie, Renn-fair fairy people that know more about the world because she's enlightened. She gets this rare ability from her father, who has a pile of very old firearms collecting dust in a closet, and was pulling out a rust old Winchester bolt action so he could teach her marksmanship, because he learned everything there is to know about firearms in the Navy.

I would think her situation was really funny if I didn't feel so bad about the animals she'll be hunting. At least I have the knowledge that she won't be able to pull the bow back or hit a barn from 5 yards away with it, which puts my mind at ease a little. She's so convinced she's got it all figured out, too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
K4b00m said:
I have a friend that will be joining the ranks of BHA next year. I was quite shocked to hear she wanted to go through the hunter safety course, and even more shocked that she got through it (though I'm truly glad she did go).
I'm glad she went too....though she would not have if it weren't for me...it's actually rather a catch 22. Good that she attended the course, bad for the fact that it just added fuel to the fire.

We shall see if it comes to pass though...I certainly hope for the sanity of the local deer population it doesn't.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Had a day like that years ago. Hunted pheasant in a cold drizzling rain all day. Didn't see one. Driving home I shot a rooster with the grille of my '77 Cutlass. Killed it clean, thought what the hell and took him home and cleaned him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.