Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone find there is a benefit to using the grey metal baffle with 700X? Thanks Bill
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Not many posters here are a fan of the grey metal baffle. The red plastic one is preferred by most here. Whether it works well with 700x I can't say as I don't use it.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,358 Posts
Emphatically NO!!! 2 things are working against you. First the baffle it'self. (won't hold a candle to the red plastic PC baffle). Secondly 700X does NOT meter well with any baffle, period.

For use with 700X, it's been found that the red plastic PC baffle, with it's internal baffle removed works best. It controls powder migration at the bottle/bar junction, and removes all friction at this point, but with 700X, it works best without an internal baffle.

DLM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks again for putting up with my tedious questions, and I will try drilling out a red baffle! Bill
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
duks said:
Okay, thanks again for putting up with my tedious questions, and I will try drilling out a red baffle! Bill
All I do is go down and grab the baffle with a needle nose pliers and twist. If what remains on the side walls bothers you a dremil with a bit will remove that.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,402 Posts
D L Marcum said:
Emphatically NO!!! 2 things are working against you. First the baffle it'self. (won't hold a candle to the red plastic PC baffle). Secondly 700X does NOT meter well with any baffle, period.

For use with 700X, it's been found that the red plastic PC baffle, with it's internal baffle removed works best. It controls powder migration at the bottle/bar junction, and removes all friction at this point, but with 700X, it works best without an internal baffle.

DLM
This certainly was my experience. I never did have a wad left in the barrel but I had 4-5 in every box where it felt and sounded like there could be a wad left in the barrel. Biggest mistake I made: using a new powder (popular for years, but new to me) and loading four flats. Now I WILL NOT load more than 4 bixes of something new till I go out and shoot a couple boxes. Since then I have been through 3-4 jugs if 700X with a bored out baffle and no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,721 Posts
Can't speak about the Mec baffles,but I used the aluminum baffles for many years with P/W presses and 700X,there was never any problem,metering 17.2 grs of 700x.This 700X problem is new to me,I have never heard of this from other reloaders?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,402 Posts
Keep in mind that there are two so called "mec" baffles. Neither one is made by Mec. They are both intended for use in Mec loaders. I believe the metal one is made by the company that makes adjustable charge bars (Multiscale.) The inside if it actually does have what most people would call baffles. The metal version does nothing to imorove the seal to the charge bar. The red plastic version is made by the Downrange wad people. It has a spring loaded plastic sleeve that rides on the charge bar and is a big improvement over the original Mec brass/rubber washer arrangement. On fine grain powders this makes quite a difference. On coarse grains it is of less importance. Despite being called a baffle, the inside of it is not what I would call a baffle. There is a stangely shaped piece that runs straight across the tube with rather small squarish holes on each side. Although 700X is what I would call medium grain size, there is something about it that causes it to flow quite erratically through these squarish holes. It does not seem to get completely clogged up. Powder does flow, but drops are very erratic. In 1000 shells I had none with no powder. But I'll bet I had at least 100 that were obviously several grains light.

Out of even a bad experience comes some good. I did take note of how many targets actually were broken by some of these obviously light loads. I backed off one grain on my standard trap load and certainly have not regretted that decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Albatros wrote: "The metal version does nothing to improve the seal to the charge bar. The red plastic version is made by the Downrange wad people. It has a spring loaded plastic sleeve that rides on the charge bar and is a big improvement over the original Mec brass/rubber washer arrangement."

Don't want to start a p...... contest, but both of my newer Multiscale metal baffles have spring loaded "plastic sleeves". When used with the included flat brass washer and a MEC rubber grommet they provide a pretty decent powder seal. Improved drop consistency is another matter altogether.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
23,244 Posts
FldTrlr said:
Albatros wrote: "The metal version does nothing to improve the seal to the charge bar. The red plastic version is made by the Downrange wad people. It has a spring loaded plastic sleeve that rides on the charge bar and is a big improvement over the original Mec brass/rubber washer arrangement."

Don't want to start a p...... contest, but both of my newer Multiscale metal baffles have spring loaded "plastic sleeves". When used with the included flat brass washer and a MEC rubber grommet they provide a pretty decent powder seal. Improved drop consistency is another matter altogether.
That combination is known to bind the Mec Bar and it is suggested to not use the brass piece furnished with the baffle. This is all tested, measured and proven by our own member, Republican.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
I'm finishing up my last 8lb jug of 700X, then not planning to use it anymore. It's the only powder I've used that has bridged and hung up in my powder tube. I tried with and without the bored out plastic baffle. About 1 or 2 every case bridged on me. Really have to be paying attention to catch it. One shell, little to no powder, next shell 1 to 2X powder. Will usually give a hint by using the primer out slightly and hanging up on the carousel. Would be unnerving to accidentally shoot one.

Back to the Dots . . .
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top