Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This is Kiriakos again.
Since in my other post I compared apples with oranges (BaiKal 153 vs Remi 11-87), let me make it more simple by asking your opinion on the above approximate same class and price.
What you think? Is it easier for you now? Your help will be appreciated. Approximate prices in my country:
Baikal $450
Stoeger $630
H&K $690

Thanks

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not possible to find Weatherby guns in my country. And their site doesn't work, so I can ask them if they have a rep here. Doesn't happen that you have their email address?

Above three are readily available on the other hand.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Baikal Baikal Baikal Baikal Baikal Baikal Baikal Baikal Baikal Baikal :lol:

Ok sorry about that. Search the board and you will find info on all of these guns. (guess the one I like)

p.s. sorry about the repetitive Baikal thing, just saying hi to jlptexashunter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Kiriakos:

Can you be more specific as to what model of the 3 guns you are talking about?

What would be the anticipated use? What gauge?

I noted that you indicated that in the country you are in you may not have all options--what country are you in?

Try again, you should be able to get into www.weatherby.com
Dont understand why not!

A lot of people on this BBS have a lot of experience with a lot of different guns, but the 3 that you mentioned would not make the top 20. So, be aware.

·
Registered
23 Posts
jmccoyb

The models are on the subject line that obviously have not noticed.
I did not say that in my country (Greece) there are limited options of buying guns. But they are darn expensive, twice or even thrice the price you pay in the USA.
My problem is that I am starting now hunting and since I am not sure if I like the sport, I do not want to spent much money for the time being. That's why I decided to start off with a low end and cheap gun and see what happens. Hence my request of the forum's member help.
What is your opinion on the specific guns?
Thanks

PS. For Weatherbys , I just found the local rep and Monday I will inquire information about it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Kiriakos,
I'm not certain about the other two,but the Baikal is not well made at all in my opinion.If you buy it new,the the value drops drastically and immediately. This is probably true of the others as well.If you're not certain whether you're going to keep this up for long,why not buy a decent quality used gun? It will probably handle better,which may increase your enjoyment of the sport.If you decide to sell,you can get most or all of your money back.
Good Luck,
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just for your information , may I clarify that the Stoeger 2000 is actually a Benelli gun made in Brazil or maybe Turkey as well, and shares the same mechanism with the Benelli recoil system.

Also the German gun manufacturer Heckler & Koch has recently acquired Italy's well known Fabarm gun manufacturer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw, touched and shouldered the Baikal in the local gunstore.

Ok its finish is lacking and the shooting mechanism is tight and maybe the wood finish is not as polished as others. But the store owner wholeheartedly recommended it for reliability, lots of spare parts and support here in Greece, shooting ability and flexibilty (shoots 2.75", 3" and 3.5" without adjustment) and of course low cost which is $450 when the Stoeger 2000 made in Turkey costs $650.
I think I am sold on it as my first gun and then later I'll get a Beretta 391 Teknys Gold which is a beauty. Or maybe a Benelli Crio. That settles it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I own a Stoeger and a friend owns a Baikal and I have shot both guns. I like the workmanship on the Stoeger and it is about a pound lighter than the Baikal and both guns are finished a lot better than say a Verona. The Baikal has somewhat less of a recoil than the Stoeger. Both guns have proven to be reliable out in the field and both put the shot where you want it. However, we haven't used our guns in real cold weather but one day we had 19 degrees F. (-7 C.) in North Dakota and both guns did their job. The Baikal has a choke that extends the barrel about an inch where the Stoeger has the choke totally in the barrel. A plus for me is the Stoeger is a Benelli in drag. It is actually made by Benelli in Turkey.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
If you are going to spend $630.00 on a Stoeger, why the heck arent you looking at Verona????? It is 3 times the gun that the Stoeger is, hands down. Better wood, better craftsmenship, better metal, well, it is just plain better, period !! Plus it only sells for $619.99 for the LX502 at Dick's. If you dont believe me, private message me with your e-mail and I will send pics, I cant seem to get them on here for whatever reason. I have sent pics to another member who bought another gun, and then regreted it when he saw the Verona.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you paid $630 for the Stoeger 2000, you did look very hard.

I bought a 24in camo model for $450 brand new at Dick's in Appleton, WI.

Used the gun all duck season and for several rounds of sporting clays. Never failed - light trap loads, heavy duck loads, snow, rain, didn't matter - always worked.

Does kick like a mule, but is very light. The only thing I changed was the front bead.

Love the gun - wish they made a youth model I could buy for my kid.

Doug

·
Registered
362 Posts
Kiriakos, is not in the States, He's in Greece. The pricing and availablity of firearms in his Country are no doubt somwhate different than here in the States. :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
First i would forget about HK 2002.
I don´t know if that thing even designed in Germany but i know that it is built in Italy. There is nothing special about HK 2002.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anonymous said:
Hi,
This is Kiriakos again.
Since in my other post I compared apples with oranges (BaiKal 153 vs Remi 11-87), let me make it more simple by asking your opinion on the above approximate same class and price.
What you think? Is it easier for you now? Your help will be appreciated. Approximate prices in my country:
Baikal $450
Stoeger $630
H&K $690

Thanks
Get the HK. You will be very happy with it. This gun is as good, if not better, than a beretta a391. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a Stoeger 2000 and I have to say that I really like this gun. I started shooting light loads with it right out of the box and have not had a jam yet. Granted I'm only on my 6th box of shells through it, but so far I am VERY happy with it. I recommend the 2000.

Todd in TX

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am a VERY VERY happy owner of a Baikal .12 gauge SXS. It may not be exactly what you want, but I can vouch for Baikal dependability.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Anonymous said:
Just for your information , may I clarify that the Stoeger 2000 is actually a Benelli gun made in Brazil or maybe Turkey as well, and shares the same mechanism with the Benelli recoil system.

Also the German gun manufacturer Heckler & Koch has recently acquired Italy's well known Fabarm gun manufacturer.
just for your information stoeger 2000 is a stoeger gun made in turkey using loose patents from benelli and not made by benelli and you get what you pay for, including machine manufacture and slapped together assembly and poor grade metals.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts