Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I would like to ask you all about this gun, the IZH18. Right now, Ive only got one gun, A Baikal, Single shot .410. I really like the way both guns handle and mounts. Ive just handled the 12ga. The reason I want to buy a 12ga is because where I live, most upland shooting is done in no less than 50-60 yards, which renders my .410 obsolete. Birds flush sooooo easily, and never give you a chance for a close shot. I went to a nearby farm today which was filled with turtle doves, I just watched :( as I saw my older cousins blazing away with their benelli's and beretta's (and one beautiful B.Gold). Most of the birds wouldnt land, and would come overhead at a very high distance.

My dad has limited me to a single shot, "no repeaters!" he says, and I really liked this gun. What can you tell me about quality, functioning and, most importantly, recoil!

Thanks alot. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rogmatt,

Im reading alot through there, although I found very few posts regarding this particular gun.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hey Q8 (are you dove hunting in Kuwait?)
My sons shoot the IZH-18 MAX in .410 and 12 ga. These are sturdy gunst hat we have put thousands of rounds through. The main hinges have loosened up significantly, but both guns lock up vault tight. The fore end on the 12 gauge rattles, the fore end on the .410 is rock solid. My 14-year-old shot his first two 25/25 at trap with his 12 gauage IZH-18. The IZH-18 .410 has nearly zero recoil, the IZH-18 in 12 gauge kicks harder than my 12 gauage trap O/U. If you are sensitive to recoil I think you will be bothered by the IZH-18 in 12 gauge. Adding lead weight in the stock bolt hole would likely help, but do you want to make your field gun heavier?
Regards, j

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
j beede said:
Hey Q8 (are you dove hunting in Kuwait?)
My sons shoot the IZH-18 MAX in .410 and 12 ga. These are sturdy gunst hat we have put thousands of rounds through. The main hinges have loosened up significantly, but both guns lock up vault tight. The fore end on the 12 gauge rattles, the fore end on the .410 is rock solid. My 14-year-old shot his first two 25/25 at trap with his 12 gauage IZH-18. The IZH-18 .410 has nearly zero recoil, the IZH-18 in 12 gauge kicks harder than my 12 gauage trap O/U. If you are sensitive to recoil I think you will be bothered by the IZH-18 in 12 gauge. Adding lead weight in the stock bolt hole would likely help, but do you want to make your field gun heavier?
Regards, j
Hi,

Yes I am dove hunting here in Kuwait, good thing is that there are all kinds of doves, all year round. I read about alot of cases where the 12ga's forend loosens, and with you confirming it, it seems like its natural with this gun. I guess if it does not hurt the gun's performance, then who cares. I currently have a baikal .410, and after about 700 rounds through it, it doesn't show any loosening in any part.

I wouldnt really want to add any extra weight to any gun, but yes, I'm quite recoil shy, but it really doesnt bother me getting beaten up, as long as it is not tooo bad. When I was 9, I took my first shot ever, through a Benelli SBE, it beat my insides out, but what the heck, I liked it :)

Ive got one more question, after downloading the manual from eaacorp.com, I read multiple times, about NOT shooting slugs through a mod or full choke. Is it dangerous, or will it just produce horrible accuracy? The gun I'll buy, has a fixed choke, either Mod or Full (im not sure, and do not know how to tell). Will shooting a slug, blow my barrel?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
yeah.....slugs will screw yer barrel up with those two chokes.
If yer recoil sensative...get the 20 ga.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts