Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think about these guns and their reliability? It will be used for mostly dove and quail hunting.
I just wanted a 12ga auto to replace the 20ga Westernfield that my grandfather gave me.
Also, where would be the best and cheapest place to get one of these guns? I went to cdnn's site and I didn't see a gun listing, do you have to call them or are they not selling guns anymore?
thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
541 Posts
On the CDNN site there is a icon you click on to download teh catalog that has the firearms. They have the MP 153 in wood or synthetic for $269 I think. I will just let our resident Baikal expert talk about that, Right Gordo.... :lol:

For the Verona I know Dicks sporting goods usually has the best price I have heard about so if you have one of their stores around you, you can check it out. If not find a large discount sporting goods store that sells firearms and there is a good chance they will have one. Other wise places like Gander mountian and Bass pro will have them but not as cheap as the discount sporting goods store.

I don't have much experieence with the two guns but I will say the Baikal if ordered through CDNN will be the cheaper of the two $$$ wise. You must have a big beef with them quail and dove. As often as I have thought of going after them with some 3.5" it may not be the best idea. Just kidding both will work good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have an MP-153. It's a gun you will get alot of usage out of.
It is a heavy gun. If you will be shooting only dove, I would get another gun. If you are gonna get your total complete table fare, then this is the gun for you. You can adjust the recoil from lite (1 1/4 load) to heavy (3 1/2" magnum). Just shooting lite loads is hard to feel any recoil. The gun also has a lil' stem that will poke through the trigger guard to let you know a round is chambered. On discharge, It disappears. The screw-in chokes are large enough for your hands to grip and tighten rather than using the little tool that comes with the gun.The gun is very easy to tear down to clean. The receiver is TIGHT. So it will take alot of loads to loosen up. It is picky with ammo,so don't expect it to cycle on 7/8 oz. of shot. Minumum is 1 1/4 oz. So no Wally-world specials.I can go on and on....
Just go to EAA arms. and start getting into the website, it will tell you much. It will also show you how to get to the Russian Baikal website. There, you can download owners manuals, IPB's, etc.
Good Luck ! Art :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
OK you asked me to respond so I will (like anyone could stop me). I do agree the the MP153 is a bit heavier then some other autos, but I found it lighter than the others in it's price range. I bought this gun for my wife so she shoots the lightest STS trap loads avalible and has not had a feeding or cycling issue past the break in time. CDNN is definatly the cheapest place to get the MP153 at $269 plus $13 shipping. The guns come your choice: Walnut or black synth stock and 26" or 28" bbl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys and the good info. I'm not that mad at the doves that I'm gonna use 3.5's on them, but I do want a gun that is versitile enough for doves to geese, that are down here in Texas.
If I do go with the Baikal, how much will I have to do to it to loosen it up some?
And is there another gun to consider in this price range?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really don't think there is another gun like the Baikal MP-153 out there for the money.
I need to rephrase the word "tight" . What I should have said is, " Don't put your finger in the receiver/chamber an push the release button, or you will lose a finger. It slams shut hard."
AND I did mention not to use wal-mart cheapy shells because it will not cycle. Thats what I mean by tight. And did I mention the barrel is chrome lined for steel shot ?
That gun is well worth its price...
Art :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later