Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the sport and looking for an inexpensive over/under to shoot trap and skeet. Someone reccomended I buy a Baikal. Never heard of them before. Any one have any thoughts? Suggestions on other manufacturers or models for a newbie?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've seen mixed reviews of Baikal shotguns. I can't say you should or shouldn't because I've never seen one in person. However, I would like to recommend you checkout Huglu (www.huglushotgunsusa.com) and look at what they have available. They are in the process of liquidating thier current inventory because they've been ordered to stop using the huglu shotguns usa name, which is stamped on every gun they are liquidating. You can find some GREAT deals. Give them a look, alot of people are saying good things about them. I'm saving up to buy one of thier side by sides. --Wing"If it flies...it dies."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I actually stumbled across their website the other night and saw some great deals. I'm currently looking at one of their semi-autos.

G

·
Wow. Checked out the weblink you mentioned. Sounds like huglu USA is shutdown due to high warranty claims. I guess that speaks to reliability????!!!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Vinnie,
I own a Bakial IZH-27 12 ga O/U. Actually I won it at a Gun Bash and planned on selling it until I shot it. Yes, it is inexpensive, yes, a Browning or a Beretta it's not but I have shot 22 out of 25 at trap with it. So it gained my respect and I've decided to keep it.

Some of the other people on this forum own them also and the reports have been mostly positive. Only time will tell how they hold up but I have started to notice that the dealers are beginning to raise the price on them because they are getting popular.

I would say if you are just getting into shotguns and you want an inexpensive over/under the Bakial isn't a bad place to start.
At this point in time no one is sure if they will hold their value so consider that you may loose money on it if you want to trade in a few years.

Happy Shooting...Levi

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought an IZH27 Sporting about a month ago, and for the price, I don't think you can find a better deal. Granted, it's not going to be a Perazzi, but you're not spending thousands (or tens of thousands :shock: ) on it.
One feature I really like is the selectable ejectors/extractors. It's nice just opening the action and plucking the spent shells out. One thing to note is that they are very (although not extremely) tight when new.
CDNN may have some standard IZH27s left. You can download their catalog from their site at http://www.cdnninvestments.com. I called a couple of months ago, and they had four left at $339.
This was my first shotgun, and I honestly couldn't be more pleased. It looks nice, shoots well, and is priced well under what I believe it's worth.

Good luck,
-DC Ross

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, count me in as a proud owner of a Baikal IZH27 12 ga!

Perfect? No.

Had a couple of quirks...but she's a shooter!

I've said before, not the prettiest girl at the dance....but she puts out! :wink:

It's so confusing to choose with all the guns available.

Hang here and search these threads. Get out to the shops and handle the guns. Then your decision will get a bit easier.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
For the money you will spend on the Baikal, there are at least 2 makers that will give you more bang for your buck.... Lanber and Verona. Not saying the Baikal is a bad gun, I didnt care for it much, but thats me and you are you. All I am saying, is that in that price range there are guns that will give you more bang for the buck.

Read some posts, and go out and play at the shops, find what feels and looks the best to you, ... and enjoy. :)

·
2,390 Posts
Vinnie,
Actually, that page doesn't relect any quality issues with the guns. What it reflects is the exceedingly hard feelings on the part of the web site owner, and former exporter (in Turkey) who got cut out of the distrubution chain by Huglu. Notice that all trade marks have recently been removed from the page and the disclaimer indicates the notice pertains only to guns purchased in Turkey. I suspect the recent changes to the site were made to avoid litigation, as this thing has cropped up repeatedly.

Here is the site you want to check out. DeHaan shotguns
http://www.dhshotguns.com/

G

·
I have a Baikal Model 27EM-1C and I love it. It is not a Browning, Windchester or any other high dollar brand. Shoots good, works well and does the job. If I scratched my Browning I would cry.........scratch the Baikal, would not like it but with only 300 bucks invested you can live with that! If you want to purchase a "Cheap" o/u that works then try a Baikal. As far the Huglu......dealers have quit them due to high amounts of warranty claims. That should tell their story.....check the forums on the web sites. You sure get more + than - on the Baikal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have heard good things about the Baikal shotguns from people who own them. The ones I have seen leave something to be desired in the wood and the finish work on the metal, BUT they seem to be shooters from everything I have heard. When I worked at a gun shop we sold a few of them and nobody ever came back to complain or get it repaired. One guy did come back with his buddy who decided to buy one after shooting his friends :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a baikal to get into shooting clays. I think if I had it over again I would have shot my Remmington 1100 for a year then made a decision. I thought a I needed a O/U to shoot clays but all you need is the gun your shooting now and time to see what you like. It will save you 400 bucks to put towards a better gun.

Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a baikal to get into shooting clays. I think if I had it over again I would have shot my Remmington 1100 for a year then made a decision. I thought I needed a O/U to shoot clays but all you need is the gun your shooting now and time to see what gun you like. It will save you 400 bucks to put towards a better gun.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I just purchased a Baikal IZH27 Hunting Two in 20gauge. I wrote a review of it over in the General board under 20 gauge Baikal. The quick word is it is a good gun for the money. I go into greater detail over there but I own many brands including Browning, Rem, Verona, Winchester and others. Great little gun for the money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.