Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Baikal 12 gauge over/under and it is severely tight to break it open and close it, the locking lever on top does not want to return to lock when closed. You have to apply force to throw it over.

I have broke it down and cleaned and oiled everything imaginable but still no luck. It feels like metal is dragging. I see no severe wear marks.

Has anyone else had this problem ? If so did you fix and how ?Or all of these stiff ??

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Don't have a Baik... but my bud got his 1965 Browning Lightning back from Browning, it was so tight he could hardly open it. Spent an hour or so every evening in front of the TV opening and closing it. It has finally worn into to just quite snug.

Someone may write in and say I'm all lost, but I don't think this is all that uncommon.

Oh... and WELCOME!!! :B3

Edit: Or... you could just cut the springs? :lol: :lol: :lol:

bd

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
A lot of these come from the factory in what I would consider a "defective" condition. There are threads on here about how to cut the springs in the foreend to make it easier to open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please elaborate. I posted here in hopes of getting help. I do not want a debate nor do I want anyone posting to stir up a fight. I simply was asking for a solution to the problem I am having.

If the gun is unsafe then please let me know..if the gun cannot be fixed then let me know. If someone else has had the same issue or know of someone that has please give me a link to that topic. I have tried to search but so far have not found much information on this topic.

If you do have information that can be helpful please post and do not be afraid of someone slamming you or stinging you from the "nest" I have several other shotguns but I was just trying to see if this can be fixed for my daughter to use. I shoot my trusty Weatherby Orion 98% of the time.
And because I am used to my gun the Baikal really threw me for a loop when it was so hard to open and close.

I honestly do not think it is as simple as working it open and shut for an hour a day, I believe there is more to it than that. Because I have tried working it and it does not get better. The gun has sat in the case for 2 years because it is more of a workout then enjoyment.

If the Baikal cannot be fixed then I will take it to the gun shop and let them deal with it. And buy her another gun.

So please do not be afraid to post if it is helpful to the topic...if you want to post to bash this gun or anyone trying to help me go elsewhere.

Thanks to everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Post down in the Baikal section and Toz will more than likely offer you some assistance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a Baikal/EAA/RemSpartan in 20 gauge. Even after 1000 rounds it is still stiff but getting better. Take it back to the shop where you bought it and ask their opinion.
But understand that having this trouble also points out flaws in the way you handle the opening and closing of the action. That is, you might just need to apply some muscle to the gun.
Check the screw under the gun, that anchors the trigger guard as mine had worked loose.

Best regards,
chalmitch

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
drsfmd said:
A lot of these come from the factory in what I would consider a "defective" condition. There are threads on here about how to cut the springs in the foreend to make it easier to open.
I suppose you read about the same problem with the Cynergy above. It must also be defective.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
tradguy said:
Please elaborate. I posted here in hopes of getting help. I do not want a debate nor do I want anyone posting to stir up a fight. I simply was asking for a solution to the problem I am having.

If the gun is unsafe then please let me know..if the gun cannot be fixed then let me know. If someone else has had the same issue or know of someone that has please give me a link to that topic. I have tried to search but so far have not found much information on this topic.

If you do have information that can be helpful please post and do not be afraid of someone slamming you or stinging you from the "nest" I have several other shotguns but I was just trying to see if this can be fixed for my daughter to use. I shoot my trusty Weatherby Orion 98% of the time.
And because I am used to my gun the Baikal really threw me for a loop when it was so hard to open and close.

I honestly do not think it is as simple as working it open and shut for an hour a day, I believe there is more to it than that. Because I have tried working it and it does not get better. The gun has sat in the case for 2 years because it is more of a workout then enjoyment.

If the Baikal cannot be fixed then I will take it to the gun shop and let them deal with it. And buy her another gun.

So please do not be afraid to post if it is helpful to the topic...if you want to post to bash this gun or anyone trying to help me go elsewhere.

Thanks to everyone.
The Baikal is not unsafe. It is pretty normal for them to be extremely tight at first. Work the action at night for a few days. If it does not start to loosen up contact EAA at this link. They will take care of the problem for you, and if necessary replace the gun for free.

http://eaacorp.com/magazine-ads-articles.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quickshot
Thanks for the info. I will try to contact them. I have played with this gun off and on now for 3 years. I just get fustrated and put it back in the case. My daughter is now of age and wants to hunt so I figured I would come here and try to get a solution to this problem. I have tore the gun down several times cleaned it lubed it and still no difference. The only good thing is I do not see any metal shavings so it cannot be a machining factor.

Thanks again, for the post.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Guns that are THAT tight, no matter what brand they are should not be considered a normal condition. I don't know exactly why Baikals are so difficult to open, but Brownings are simply due to the forends not being fitted. Having to refit, cut springs or perform a half dozen other unproven home remedies just to render the gun usable is nuts. Sitting there night after night opening and closing a gun is just plain unacceptable. It should work correctly when you buy it and not have to be beaten over a stump to open.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cures for a stiff Baikal:

- Use GREASE on all moving surfaces. Pay special attention to the side plates on the barrels and the very bottom rounded edge of the receiver (that one gets overlooked a lot). You don't need a lot of grease, just do not use oil. I use cheap Tetra Gun Grease and it does the job.

- Clip the extractor springs about 5 coils. If you don't have the gun set to eject the shells you can clip even more. There is a how to in the Baikal/Spartan forum showing how to do this, with illustrations. I also posted my own text how to toward the end of the thread. It's easy.

- Shoot the gun. It will loosen up.

It will always be stiff, but it will get better with the three things listed above.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Tradeguy, welcome to the forum. I have a Spartan and it was tight as a frogs butt when I got her. First I opened it for about 200 times to show me where there was metal wear. Then I used a fine file and some 800 grit sandpaper followed with some emery cloth. Then I cleaned, oiled a repeated opening and closing, filing/sanding,cleaning/oiling, untill I got her perfect. Then I took it to the clays field and put 1000 rounds through it (took 5 days). What a gem for the money, have had guys with 25K Berreta's oh and ahh over it at the dove fields. It is a SPR100s which is pretty rare, a 20Ga single shot break action. Only weighs 6 lbs and is ported with interchangable chokes. The time I spent Filing/sanding etc.. was about 1 day (mabe 3-5 hrs) total time. Be carfull and take your time, it is a labor of love afterall.
Check the forcing cone in the chamber and the choke tube install though. They have a tendancy to be drilled off center, wich will mess up your patterns. I was new to shotgunning and didn't do this, then when I patterned my gun right before hunting season, I found the problem. It has been a warranty nightmare and I will have to repeat the break in procedure with whatever new gun they send me that is not broken out of the box (long story). Hope this helps you a little, good luck and don't give up on it untill you have too.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I've edited myself. My attempt at humor in response to the post above would almost certainly get me banned, and would have a certain someone suggesting I am bridgeburner.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hi.
I don't have this problem but I was reading these posts about hard to open over and unders. Wouldn't it make sense to use grinding compound instead of grease? This way you would remove a little material when you open and close the gun in front of the tv?
Just a thought.

Herb S.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Herb S. said:
Hi.
I don't have this problem but I was reading these posts about hard to open over and unders. Wouldn't it make sense to use grinding compound instead of grease? This way you would remove a little material when you open and close the gun in front of the tv?
Just a thought.

Herb S.
No, it's a bad idea. Those little silicates get into hard-or-impossible-to-reach places and continue to do their job... which will cause excessive and premature wear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do believe it is unacceptable for any gun to act this way.I have guns in my cabinet that have been handed down 5 generations that have never failed.

But...I do own the gun, and if it can be fixed then that is what I will do. I owned a Remington 870 once and it was a good gun for 3 years then all of a sudden it decided to go off every time the pump closed. That was an unsafe gun and was destroyed.

After that firearm I figure this Baikal is a safe gun afterall I can't get it open to use it....lol..

Tomorrow (monday) is the first day of buck season here in PA so I will be in the woods all day. I will try to work it some more this week, and I'll even throw some Dyekem in there to see if it is rubbing and see what can be done from there.

I need to hit the sack tonight so I can get up early and track the big one.

Thanks for the replies/comments/suggestions and keep 'em coming.

Also I do thank the fellow for editing his comments....afterall I did request that there will be no bashing on this thread :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.